Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storage with jacks up/down?

What's the best way to store my Palazzo in terms of using the jacks and air suspension?

Should I use the jacks, or just air down the suspension? Or, should I keep the suspension aired up and not use the jacks?

Thanks in advance...
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
We store ours outside. I deflate the air suspension, place tall blocks under the jacks and raise the RV slightly aking the weight off the tires & suspension. Then I raise the front so that any water will flow to the rear. Mostly this puts those black streaks only on one end. Clothes pins attached to the gutters also helps keep the streaks to a minimum. The tall blocks allows only minimal jack extension, reducing jack post exposure to mother nature. A little WD-40 on the exposed jack post at the beginning and end of storage goes along ways.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what I remember ( Jack - please correct me if I am wrong) you should put blocks under the jacks while the air is still in the air bags. With the jacks up, dump the air bags and let the blocks support the weight. You should also have something under the tires to keep them from having contact with the dirt/gravel/concrete. It should be something like plastic pads and not pourous like wood. This way the weight of your MH is supported on the blocks under the jacks. The jacks should not be left extended out for storage purposes. At least this is what I remember from attending the Camp Freightliner taught by Mike Cody.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never used anything on the rams on our HWH system. After almost 11 years I still have no problems with seals leaking nor sticking rams even with the original springs.
I store our rig with out using the rear jacks and the fronts fully extended and the front tires off the ground.
Now, before you jump on me as being unsafe I will say:
Newmar says it's OK
Spartan says it's OK
Reyco Granning says it's OK
HWH says it's OK
And I've been doing it since it was new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For winter storage. Put some kind of block or pad under the jacks, to seperate them from the ground... Reason.. If you need to move the beast, the jacks may freeze to the ground, they do not usually freeze to a 2x8 or whatever size you lay down. and the 2x8, once frozen to the ground, can be knocked loose by a gental tap from an 8 pound sledge once the Motor home is "off site" Others will give you other reasons, this is the valid one.

Then set the jacks in the same manner as you would if camping, You might put 'em down a bit farther than normal. This has two functions, 1: Makes the rig more stable if wind blows hard. 2: Takes a load off (The springs)

DO NOT EXTEND FAR ENOUGH TO LIFT TIRES OFF GROUND.

Finally, read your jack owner's manual. Some suggest you lubricate the jacks, Usually they specify a lube, Power gear and due to two very similar spellings I wont' even try to spell it. (I often get the wrong one). This would be a good time to do that.. (Helps protect against rust) and again in spring before you raise jacks.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
From what I remember ( Jack - please correct me if I am wrong) you should put blocks under the jacks while the air is still in the air bags. With the jacks up, dump the air bags and let the blocks support the weight. You should also have something under the tires to keep them from having contact with the dirt/gravel/concrete. It should be something like plastic pads and not pourous like wood. This way the weight of your MH is supported on the blocks under the jacks. The jacks should not be left extended out for storage purposes. At least this is what I remember from attending the Camp Freightliner taught by Mike Cody.
Gary,

This is the way I remember it from Camp Freightliner.

Thanks!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage