Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Thor 24SR Problems

Purchased a brand new 2015 Thor 24SR from Camping World in Statesville NC. Negotiation and purchase went smoothly... however, after one, two night camp to try and learn about our new home, this happens....

Toilet leaks water when you flush...
Linoleum underneath toilet has pulled away from floor...
Leak in roof at skylight around the outside edge...
Passenger side mirror is loose...
TV in bedroom doesn't work well, cant see picture...
Cabinet around sink is broken...
Back of couch is broken so you cant use it...
Rear window came loose from frame...

So far have owned this unit for 8 weeks... 5 weeks it has been in Camping Worlds repair shop. Who knows how bad the water has leaked in while sitting there? Nobody at Camping World can tell me anything. I called Thor once but they seem to be having problems with personnel lately. Cant get the same person twice. Called the salesman who sold it to me. Sent emails. Nothing back yet.

What do you do when you buy a brand new RV and cant even use it?
Right now my opinion is...
NEVER BUY A THOR... NEVER DEAL WITH CAMPING WORLD.
PinballsNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you make a list of needed repairs and send copy to Camping World and Thor. Ask what and when each item will be repaired. You need to go and get in the office of the CW manager and get some commitment in writing. Be calm and non-confrontational, just explain you want it repaired OR REPLACED. Suggest that when each item repaired on your list, you get a call so you can cross it off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thor 24SR Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinballsNC View Post
Purchased a brand new 2015 Thor 24SR from Camping World in Statesville, SC...

Unfortunately, I agree.

Also, someone is going to have disassemble the area affected by the water leak to reveal the extent of the damage. This could be a very big deal and IMO should be done at the factory. Depending on the outcome, a replacement motorhome could be in order. Good Luck.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

In fairness to Thor. I did contact them on my initial problems. I am so glad I did. I have been working with a nice person who has tried to re-assure me that the problems would be fixed. My main issue is with Camping World and the lack of customer service they have.

You would think a first time RV purchaser and first time customer would be treated with a little bit of urgency. Especially since it was a new RV purchase. Seems Camping World didn't even notify Thor that their was a problem with my RV. This would have effected my warranty and everything.

My opinion is pending on Thor.
My opinion of Camping World is worse than ever.

I will post an update when I have more info.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

thor 24SR

Here we are 1 year later. Still not a clean trip without some issue coming up. Thor is a horrible manufacturer and the revolving door of people working in customer service doesn't do them any favors.

I see no end to the problems with their manufacturing or their lack of quality control. To get service or work after the sale you have to get a lawyer or threaten them. Camping world is so bad I am not even going to comment except for I will never stop on their lot ever again in any location.
Below is a picture of the underside of our RV and a nice look at the hole that we found in our fuel line.

Warranty has ran out and Thor actually kept it for most of that period.

Again avoid anything Thor.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So far have owned this unit for 8 weeks... 5 weeks it has been in Camping Worlds repair shop. .......
I'm assuming that you are a motorhome newbee/rookie. Leaving your motorhome at the dealership for warranty repairs is a newbee/rookie mistake. Perfectly understandable, as most new RV owners simply succumb to the dealership's service writer's whims for warranty service!

I'm on my third new motorhome, after owning a new PopUp, TT, and 5th Wheel. So I have dealt with warranty repairs.

At ANY RV dealership, (not just CW), you never leave your RV for warranty service until:

1. All factory authorizations have been approved.
2. All necessary repair parts have arrived.
3. All the necessary repair parts have been confirmed by the actual technician that will install them.
4. The service writer schedules your work to be done on a specific day and time, by a specific technician.

This is how fulltimer's, (in the know), get their warranty work efficiently accomplished. No wasted trips/time/wating. And, most importantly, no lost time without your new RV!!

As far as buying an RV at CW, it really makes NO difference whatsoever. If they have the best price for what you are looking for, buy it there. I purchased my most recent Thor Hurricane 34E at the CW in Macon, GA, and I live in California! Everywhere else, (in the entire country), was selling it for up to $120k, and they were selling it for $74k, (and I was even able to bargain a bit there)!! You can always get warranty service for any RV that you purchase anywhere at ANY authorized servicer, (I have absolutely NO loyalty to any RV dealerships).

Your customer service issues with Thor are just as bad, (and surprisingly not as bad), as what people experience with their Newells, Winnebagos, Fleetwoods, Holiday Ramblers, Tiffens, etc.... Just visit some of the other owner forums to read their stories.

If you really don't like your new RV, just get rid of it and purchase another brand that you feel more comfortable with. You will experience their brand of stress, and get rid of all your Thor stress.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Dealership Service

Beach Dude, by your own statement, you have not been to a dealer for warranty service in years. That alone makes you less than qualified to comment on the current state of dealership service.

You say never leave your RV without manufacturers authorization, and only leave it long enough for them to order parts, then bring it back when all parts are in.

Once again, its obvious you have not tried to get warranty service in years. RV dealers and manufacturers do NOTHING to facilitate warranty service! If you think you are going to walk into a CW, or any other RV dealer in 2015, and have them spend enough time with you to: 1. Inspect; 2. call for authorization; 3. prepare a written estimate; 4. act like they give a damn at all, then its obvious you have not dealt with anyone for years.

Its far more likely that: 1. you will stand in line for extended periods; 2. the service manager will know less than you do about motor homes, mechanical work, or repairs to motor homes in general; 3. they will take your name and number, and tell you they will call you whenever. If you don't want to play by their rules, don't let the door bang your ass on the way out!

After 2-3 weeks, at least, you may get a list of parts needed, and they may have called for authorization. Then again, its just as likely they have not. You need to call or go by every few days, or your coach will sit even longer. Try not to irrititate them when you do this.

After a few weeks they will call and tell the parts they received were wrong, the correct parts are back ordered, and they will call when they know more. They will never call you again. You must follow up, or your coach is just as likely to be sold for storage fees for abandonment.

Not all of us who shell out $100K or more for a motorhome feel that its just fine if we become our own mechanics in able to get things repaired. Imagine how long Lexus or BMW would be in business, treating people who pay that much for their cars, as expendable, as the RV industry does.

I bought a brand new THOR in October. I have yet to use it for even 1 single day. It goes back and forth from RV repair, to Ford for chassis repair, to back to the RV repair. Right now it rides so poorly that I refuse to drive it for fear of losing control and crashing. THOR has been problematic in getting repairs made. If its going to be cheap, they will okay it. Anything costing real money and you are going to be in for a fight.

It is projected that this will be a banner year for RV sales, eclipsing all previous years. More and more people are attracted to RVing lifestyle for the first time. Most of these people are not going to be buying $100K vehicles, and intending to work on them themselves. Nor will they stand for 2-3 months of post manufacture warranty work, at a minimum, to get the vehicle at the point it should have been at, BEFORE ever being delivered to a customer. That is not acceptable quality at ANY industry that I am aware of.

As far as QA being an issue at all of the other manufacturers, I have to disagree. I have read literally thousands of blog posts, to learn as much as possible about RV troubleshooting. While its true that all manufacturers have some degree of QA issues, those at THOR FAR exceed, as a percentage of all letters posted, those at the other manufacturers' blog sites. Even though THOR is the largest, the percentages still seem to me, to be out of whack. Just my opinion, yours may be different.

I don't think it is acceptable to spend $100K on a vehicle, and not be able to use it all after 2 months of ownership, and counting. I don't think my opinion is the outlier either. Unless THOR addresses their QA issues, and tries to keep customers for life, things are only going to continue to get worse for the owners of their products, and eventually, for THOR workers and share holders.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoi2 View Post
Beach Dude, by your own statement, you have not been to a dealer for warranty service in years.
LeRoi,

Which statement in particular eludes that I have not been to a dealer for warranty service in years? I'll admit, it's actually been months, (about 0.42 "years" ago).

It's too bad that you don't like what I wrote. Keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. Absolutely nothing. You are free to take it or leave it. And in your case, leave it.

You are free to proceed according to your own reality, and spend weeks/months uselessly waiting. Enjoy the time without your THOR motorhome.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Purchased a brand new 2015 Thor 24SR from Camping World in Statesville NC. Negotiation and purchase went smoothly... however, after one, two night camp to try and learn about our new home, this happens....

Toilet leaks water when you flush...
Linoleum underneath toilet has pulled away from floor...
Leak in roof at skylight around the outside edge...
Passenger side mirror is loose...
TV in bedroom doesn't work well, cant see picture...
Cabinet around sink is broken...
Back of couch is broken so you cant use it...
Rear window came loose from frame...

So far have owned this unit for 8 weeks... 5 weeks it has been in Camping Worlds repair shop. Who knows how bad the water has leaked in while sitting there? Nobody at Camping World can tell me anything. I called Thor once but they seem to be having problems with personnel lately. Cant get the same person twice. Called the salesman who sold it to me. Sent emails. Nothing back yet.

What do you do when you buy a brand new RV and cant even use it?
PinballNC...I was just reading your post and am wondering if you ever had the skylight leak fixed. I ask because I own a 2015 st with a skylight and actually drove to the factory for the leak. They spread more goop and said all is well. until it rained. Had CW fix same leak until it rained. I finally had to fix it myself and no more leak. If yours is still leaking, let me know and I can tell you how I had to fix mine. hope the othewr problems are solved.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

THOR

The poor quality of the workmanship at THOR, as a disappointment, is FAR EXCEEDED by their poor attitudes and no customer service.

Oh, if you want a few dollars of parts to fix things yourself, thereby saving them labor, they MIGHT send them to you.

Get this. I got one deadbolt key to my MH. I asked the THOR service center to get me 2 more. They sent me ONE! With a note saying that is all I was entitled to under the warranty! $100K, 2 keys, that's all for you! Simple, dumb, no chip keys, that MAY cost them $2! I didn't even ask for them for free, I just told them I needed 2 blanks, as I only had 1 key. I would have been happy to pay for it. I still need it, but THOR couldn't care less. This incident speaks volumes of the mindset you are dealing with. Customer service, where it exists at all. Takes a back seat when the cost of providing service approaches that of a blank key!

It's a good thing these forums exist. I kick myself daily for not having found this site earlier. knowing the truth about manufacturers is key to making good purchase decisions.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor