Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #43

My last MH was a p30 Chevy and it was a BEAR to drive. This Ford unit drives like a dream. No handling mods yet but I do run 84-85 psi tire pressure. Will look into CHF as soon as I figure out what it is ??????
Robby5576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #44

SEIKI TV'S in 30.1, bedroom and outdoor, won't program channels on the road while main JENSEN works with no problem. Anyone have an idea why?
scis438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby5576 View Post
My last MH was a p30 Chevy and it was a BEAR to drive. This Ford unit drives like a dream. No handling mods yet but I do run 84-85 psi tire pressure. Will look into CHF as soon as I figure out what it is ??????
Maybe "cheap fix". Move front and rear sway bar connections to rear holes. Worked for me!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scis438 View Post
SEIKI TV'S in 30.1, bedroom and outdoor, won't program channels on the road while main JENSEN works with no problem. Anyone have an idea why?

Don't have an answer for you, just another question. The JENSEN works fine except the volume struggles. It is almost un-watchable if the air is on because the volume won't go high enough. How is yours?
For your problem our SEIKI's both work fine no matter where we are so can't help. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #47

Jensen TV volumn

I'm planning to wire my TV sound to the dash radio, as others have done, to allow for better volumn control. I considered adding speakers above our recliners but wiring in the slide can be a challenge.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the Jensen is a 12v TV the other two are AC
AceJohn6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceJohn6928 View Post
I believe the Jensen is a 12v TV the other two are AC

That is correct. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #50

Jensen is 12 V. Also, use a bluetooth adapter from the tv to the front head unit to run the volume through those two speakers. Makes a big difference.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #51

I have a 2014 30.1. This is the third motorhome I have owned, and the first I have purchased new. I bought mine from Giant RV in California, and I would not recommend them for purchase, nor would I allow them to ever repair anything I own. It was in their shop for 4 months.

There were several pretty major issues, the biggest was that the floor would lift during the heat cycle, and they ended up farming the work out to a sub contractor, who had to remove all of the interior to redo the floor. There were electrical problems that required them to go underneath the bed. They ripped out screws, broke through the plywood like animals and hoped that I never saw what they had done, well their work was so shoddy, that I purchased an aftermarket warranty from my local dealer and they have had to mostly repair Giants work.

I fully expected that an entry level motorhome would have its issues, and mine was pretty typical, I was however surprised at the amount of screws left out, or behind on decks, flooring and sometimes in plain sight, sawdust and metal chips in sealant and caulking's, and various nail holes and unfinished work when it was delivered. I found zero pride in workmanship in every aspect of the assembly of my coach. as a sheet metal construction worker, I have access to a shop where I can layout, fabricate and install products to reduce wear and tear, and there are plenty of places that needed attention, and you all know, the steps leading into our coaches all had cheap adhesives applied, and the rubber material covering the steps are a joke. I have seen the rubber and the bullnose of the step separate at the dealer lot. Furthermore, the aluminum angle at the top of the steps that hold the floor down separated enough to expose the razor sharp miter corner, dangerous enough to rip a childs foot clean open. The lack of a ladder to access the front bunk is inexcusable, what where they thinking by not including one? Step on the sofa armrest? The deep cycle battery is a joke, and that is the first thing that should be replaced, spend a few bucks and get two six volts and a real deep cycle charger. there are also four separate fuse boxes, two in front, one under the dash and the coach stuff is under the bed, there are over sixty fuses and relays of a dozen different types, try to carry the more common, and you'll save yourself much grief.

I have easily spent 80 hours of labor fixing several dozen issues, and the list when I initially sent it back at first purchase was considerable.

I have lived in this motorhome for 3 months, and have vacationed in it with my family for at least 80 days, we have thoroughly used every single feature, I believe I am entitled to give a fair report based on my anecdotal evidence. My exposure to Thor was minimal, but I strongly suggest anyone considering purchasing a vehicle from Giant RV to reconsider; any monies you might save, especially at the Pomona Los Angeles show that is held every year at this time, has the potential to be absorbed into additional cost by shoddy repairs that need to be fixed after the short warranty runs out.

The good part is that this motorhome is affordable. There are several features that make this a worthwhile purchase. I tow with no problem. The leveling jacks are cheap, but very useful. Backup cameras are now impossible to live without, and the seat material and floor is easy to clean and maintain. It really is pet friendly. the 30.1 has the least storage, but can be partially offset by reconfiguring the area underneath the seats at the dining table.

I think the most common mods are the chip from 5 star, the cheap handling fix, front speaker and addition of LED lighting.

Additionally, I bought an empire cover, not so sure I would go with them again, but know that in spite of the incredible and dangerous hassle it is to put on and off a cover, it is worth the hassle. Here is southern California, there is just no way to maintain anything in the sun. I keep mine in an RV storage lot, and there is plenty of direct evidence of exposure to UV rays, it jacks with the gel coat, paint, stickers, rubber, roof systems roll out shades, better to destroy a 400 dollar cover than an 80k motorhome. I recommend these rigs to anyone who is half way handy, they are neat, and a few mods, whether DIY or store bought, will easily give you a coach with pride in ownership.
fishinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #52

2015 30.1 Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinful View Post
I have a 2014 30.1. This is the third motorhome I have owned, and the first I have purchased new. I bought mine from Giant RV in California, and I would not recommend them for purchase, nor would I allow them to ever repair anything I own. It was in their shop for 4 months.

There were several pretty major issues, the biggest was that the floor would lift during the heat cycle, and they ended up farming the work out to a sub contractor, who had to remove all of the interior to redo the floor. There were electrical problems that required them to go underneath the bed. They ripped out screws, broke through the plywood like animals and hoped that I never saw what they had done, well their work was so shoddy, that I purchased an aftermarket warranty from my local dealer and they have had to mostly repair Giants work.

I fully expected that an entry level motorhome would have its issues, and mine was pretty typical, I was however surprised at the amount of screws left out, or behind on decks, flooring and sometimes in plain sight, sawdust and metal chips in sealant and caulking's, and various nail holes and unfinished work when it was delivered. I found zero pride in workmanship in every aspect of the assembly of my coach. as a sheet metal construction worker, I have access to a shop where I can layout, fabricate and install products to reduce wear and tear, and there are plenty of places that needed attention, and you all know, the steps leading into our coaches all had cheap adhesives applied, and the rubber material covering the steps are a joke. I have seen the rubber and the bullnose of the step separate at the dealer lot. Furthermore, the aluminum angle at the top of the steps that hold the floor down separated enough to expose the razor sharp miter corner, dangerous enough to rip a childs foot clean open. The lack of a ladder to access the front bunk is inexcusable, what where they thinking by not including one? Step on the sofa armrest? The deep cycle battery is a joke, and that is the first thing that should be replaced, spend a few bucks and get two six volts and a real deep cycle charger. there are also four separate fuse boxes, two in front, one under the dash and the coach stuff is under the bed, there are over sixty fuses and relays of a dozen different types, try to carry the more common, and you'll save yourself much grief.

I have easily spent 80 hours of labor fixing several dozen issues, and the list when I initially sent it back at first purchase was considerable.

I have lived in this motorhome for 3 months, and have vacationed in it with my family for at least 80 days, we have thoroughly used every single feature, I believe I am entitled to give a fair report based on my anecdotal evidence. My exposure to Thor was minimal, but I strongly suggest anyone considering purchasing a vehicle from Giant RV to reconsider; any monies you might save, especially at the Pomona Los Angeles show that is held every year at this time, has the potential to be absorbed into additional cost by shoddy repairs that need to be fixed after the short warranty runs out.

The good part is that this motorhome is affordable. There are several features that make this a worthwhile purchase. I tow with no problem. The leveling jacks are cheap, but very useful. Backup cameras are now impossible to live without, and the seat material and floor is easy to clean and maintain. It really is pet friendly. the 30.1 has the least storage, but can be partially offset by reconfiguring the area underneath the seats at the dining table.

I think the most common mods are the chip from 5 star, the cheap handling fix, front speaker and addition of LED lighting.

Additionally, I bought an empire cover, not so sure I would go with them again, but know that in spite of the incredible and dangerous hassle it is to put on and off a cover, it is worth the hassle. Here is southern California, there is just no way to maintain anything in the sun. I keep mine in an RV storage lot, and there is plenty of direct evidence of exposure to UV rays, it jacks with the gel coat, paint, stickers, rubber, roof systems roll out shades, better to destroy a 400 dollar cover than an 80k motorhome. I recommend these rigs to anyone who is half way handy, they are neat, and a few mods, whether DIY or store bought, will easily give you a coach with pride in ownership.
I've also had some issues, as do most, but nothing of this magnitude. My purchasing dealer, Camping World of Houston, and my local repair dealer, Southern RV, are both the pits! Due to my experience with them I contacted Thor and got approval to use a non-authorized dealer who doesn't sell Thor products but that I have a lot of confidence in from previous exoerience. I do have to request reimbursement myself but it beats the alternative! I agree these motorhomes have a lot of potential if quality control was improved.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #53

Here is our 2016 30.1. All washed ready to go.
chrisace930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #54

Sorry forgot the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150927_175442.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	109317  
chrisace930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #55

Newby with 2016 30.1 purchased June 2015. Dec 2015 over 10,000 miles, 19 states and lots of adventures and few mis-adventures. We have shake rattled and rolled all over the west and ended up in FLA. Always interesting to try to figure out the source of the random screw found on the deck.
Issues-3 AM... in Death Valley...106 degrees.AC goes out. Factory determined it was transfer switch problem. Took it to LasVegas to great Camping World in Henderson. Factory ready to ship new transfer switch to CW and Dennis the mechanic after 30 minutes finds wiring under the bed(above the gas tank) was faulty and arched tripping the switches. Charred wires - sent pics to factory and they covered the labor but not my hotel or gaming. Annoying things like the big rear starboard compartment held up with 3 screws. My gplf clubs were sinking before noticed and fixed with several additional screws.
Pleased with the unit. Ford stuff feels solid and strong, tow haul gear works great. So many pieces and parts I am happy to only have a couple of issues. Now I need a TOAD, quieter engine, better speakers in front that I can hear while traveling.
Linebacker
linebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #56

Please elaborate on 5 Star fix and cheap handling fix-THANKS. Trucks and wind move me around alot.

Linbacker
linebacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, thor