Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Thor ACE Awning Gas Strut - bent

While retracting my awning, one of the gas struts that keeps tension on the awning bent. I'm having trouble finding a replacement.

The black tube that houses the strut when retracted measures around 18 inches. Extended it is close to 36".

Does anyone know of a good "upgrade" strut and the link online?

I'll even settle for the same original part if I have to. Of course, I would replace the pair.

I'll keep hunting online, but I'm sure other ACE owners have had this issue already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #2

Sorry I can't help with the replacement. I did notice mine bending some when I was retracting and I stopped. Both were rusty so I hit it with wd40 and no more bending. Just glad I caught mine as it was very close to breaking.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #3

I looked and looked, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION printed / stamped onto either gas shock/strut. Since the one I removed was so badly bent, I was unable to get it to fully extend.

I ended up getting the dremel and cutting slots to relieve the grip on the shaft. Watch out for escaping gas and oil. (volcano effect)

Once the gas and oil was drained, i was able to fully extend the strut. From "eye to eye" the strut is 36" exactly. 10mm shaft and 20mm housing.

I do not know how many pounds of force these things are rated at. The only thing I can come up with is to remove the other strut and attach a luggage scale on one of the eyes and pull to extend the strut. Ugh.

These things are a pain to find online. I'll keep searching and post any results. Someone has replaced them successfully on this board. (I hope)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

I recently had an issue on my Jayco unit gas strut on the bed lift. The manufacturer and part number are on it. However obviously not the same part as for your awning but here is a link to their website they have quite a variety
LaVanture Products - Gas Springs & Accessories it may or may not be of help to you.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

I opened up the awning and looked for any signs of who built this awning. Lord knows Thor didn't build it.

So I went to the Carefree of Colorado site and found more confusion.

SERIAL NUMBER :
2101800367 PART NUMBER : 14145858 MANUFACTURE DATE : 08/22/11 DESCRIPTION : SPRGLS RLR-VL,14'B/GR,B/G,UNTB

Their online parts page allowed me to search for Serial Number and it gave me a wacky description.

Springless Patio Awning Roller, ONE-Touch, Eclipse, Travel'r, Pioneer, Pioneer Lite

That pretty much covers all of their models. Even with a Serial and Part number, the website doesn't tell me which model it is.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

I received a response from the awning manufacturer. Even with model and serial numbers, he could not tell me which part numbers were needed until i could identify the ARMS used on the ACE.

According to the picture above (which the tech support dude sent me), I have the Steep Pitch Travel'r arms. I will post part numbers for the replacement struts when I get them from tech support.

It seems that each time something breaks on the ACE, it is a nightmare to figure out how to fix it myself. Makes me wonder if the $500,000 rigs are this much of a pain.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

R001331 Travel'r - Gas Shock
Version: 37" length (clevis to clevis) - Steep Pitch
$29.38 x2 = $58.76

R001576 Travel'r - Shock Hardware Kit
$2.38 x2 = $4.76

Sub Total:
$63.52

Freight (Ground):
$30.00

Tax:
$0.00

Grand Total:
$93.52

The shipping is ridiculous. It better come with 5 lbs of bubble wrap around the struts.

Tags
ace, awning, gas, thor