RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

Thor ACE confidence

I have lost almost all confidence in our 2017 ACE 29.2. EVERY time we take it out somewhere something goes wrong. I planned on taking it out west and exploring the USA, but even going to nearby campgrounds turn out to be a challenge. Last time out our slide topper almost destroyed itself, the backup camera kept cutting out (screen goes blank), coach was making noises (clunking like someone hit the coach, I could find nothing),and that was just the last time out. I'll refrain from going through the entire list. How can you enjoy rving and traveling if you have NO confidence in your coach, each time out you're wondering "what now?"

Shifty103.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

I see you have several posts with issues. Did you recently purchase this coach or buy it new?

I bought a used 2014 Ace that had two major items plus tires due at purchase. The slide trim piece was glued on and falling off and step housing was falling down. I think they had teenage boys that jumped on it but either way I had to fix. I had the best luck with an independent repair guy. Owner operated shop. He fixed things for a reasonable price and I’ve had no issues. I wouldn’t go to a dealer. Try to get a local independent repair shop to look at all of your house issues. If you have the right one and it’s done right you will be set to go. I have full confidence in my coach.

Try an independent and see how that works for you. Good luck

Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #3

I have a 2016 ACE 27.1 and have no problem jumping in it and going at any point. We have had a few issues, some related to how Thor built the coach (rain wetting the furnace controller) and some due to the component manufacturer's poor quality control (water heater board failed, hydraulic leveling motor failed, slide motor went intermittent). None stopped us from using the coach and other than having to send the hydraulic motor out to a repair facility I accomplished all the repairs myself.

Issues with the ACE are no different than the issues people have with other models/brands. When you own a house that rolls down our highways you need be be either rich to pay for repairs, or self-sufficient to accomplish the repairs yourself or a combination of the two.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #4

Confidence

OHIOMIKE, I bought the coach new in Texas in Sept.2016. It's been to dealers twice, first time for shower curtain recall, (also had front stabilizer installed). Second time for awning failure and leaking windshield. Awning was due to screw through wire during build, windshield still leaks. The rest I've done myself, some with the recommendations of "Triplewide". I'm not above doing things myself, but due to limitations some must be done elsewhere. Living in Canada now and rv repair shops are not as numerous.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

confidence

tfryman, I'm not rich and have done many things to my coach myself. Evidently you have had many outings with your coach without issues, we have not. We love the size and layout of our coach but now each time we get in and start it up we look at each other and wonder "what now"? I knew going in I'd be doing things myself and was ok with that. I know nothing is perfect, but I did expect to have enjoyable outings and to see the country without having things break or fall every time. I hope you continue to have good luck with yours, but I have lost a lot of respect for Thor.

Tags
ace, thor