Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Thor ACE Fold down bed support

The fold down bed is only rated at 250 pounds.
Upon examination of the hinges and framing I don't feel it would hold up to much more weight over 250 pounds over time so I made a support out of 1- 8 foot 2x6 piece of redwood.
The “ piano “ hinges and metal side brackets are more than adequate for the bed but the framing materials under the mattress area will suffer from to much weight in the center area of the bed.

The support I made transfers the weight placed on the center of the bed frame down onto the coach floor just behind the “ dog house “ engine cover.
If you stand on that spot on one foot and bounce you will see it is very solid and secure at that spot. I’m 6’ 4” and 240 pounds.
The support is made up of two pieces.
The vertical stand and the part that goes under the bed frame.

The vertical “stand” part is a total of 51 & 1/8 inches .
The leg piece itself is a 2x6 piece of wood cut to 49 5/8’s inches and the foot piece is 12 inches long. Because a 2x6 piece is 1 ½ inches thick the “leg” attached to the “foot” this gives you a total height of 51 1/8 inches.

The ' under bed' piece is a total of 30 inches long.
A 28 ½ inch piece of 2x6 attached to a 4 inch high piece at the outer end.
Because the bed has a padded section that protrudes down a bit more that the bottom of the bed frame I ‘ notched’ the under bed piece so as to not damage the padding.
The notch is ½ inch deep and 1 inch wide.
I also added a block piece under the section as a stop when you slide the vertical leg under the upper piece. This is 13 inches in from the outside.

I secured all parts with wood glue and 3 ½ inch deck screws.

The photos should clear up any confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Full View.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	19446   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Side Top View.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	19447  

Name:	5 - Upper section - side view.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	19448   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 - Both Pc's - floor.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	19449  

Name:	3 - Base View.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	19450  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Great idea!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Wow, this is something similar that I was going to look into when we get ours. Thank you, mgheron!

We ordered 29.2 two weeks ago and are expecting it sometime in May. They said it will be 2013 model. We are in Northern CA, too. Maybe we can meet up someday to learn from your great ideas.

Jay
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

I have a related question that I've been wondering. Did you buy or build a ladder to use this bed? Can you imagine yourself or someone like DW go up and down safely in the middle of night without one?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
jay100 ... Both my wife and I have climbed up w/o any problem to test the bed with my support in place but we have never slept in it. I made the support because we are taking my sister-in-law and brother-in-law along on a 2 week trip in May and they will use the fold down bed. To climb up you just use the table seat and then the slide-out half partition behind the drivers seat. If I felt a ladder was needed I'd probably build one.

BTW .. I see that the first photo makes it look like the support is to tall and bowing the bed frame upward. This is not the case, it's a optical illusion caused by the camera lens.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #6

We bought one online and had to shorten it a few inches to be the correct length. I was told it didn't come with one for liability reasons.

I guess you can fall out of bed but don't fall climbing up there!?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Thank you for the suggestion.
1) I made a similar one with Oak and a 2.5x2.5 support to the floor. But you need to ADD A FELT CUSHION (or soft non-marring material) to the mating surfaces at the bed bottom. I believe the bare wood will scratch the surface leaving you marks on the ceiling when the bed is retracted. A cheap <$5.00 fix.

2) For a bed ladder, IKEA sells a white book shelf ladder for about $50. I weigh 300 lbs and it is strong. I removed the rubber caps on the bottom ladder and cut the height to give a proper angle and reinstalled the rubber caps.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Really great idea. I may need to make one for mine.

Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor