RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Thor Ace Generator Problem

Need some advice. I have a Thor Ace. The generator runs but sends no current to the coach. I've checked the breaker on the generator and although it seems to move easily it's been reset. Is there another breaker or fuse somewhere? Any advice would be appreciated.

gpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowell View Post
Need some advice. I have a Thor Ace. The generator runs but sends no current to the coach. I've checked the breaker on the generator and although it seems to move easily it's been reset. Is there another breaker or fuse somewhere? Any advice would be appreciated.
Could be a faulty automatic transfer switch. Mine is located under the bed behind the breaker panel, see if your getting 110V up to that point.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I'm not sure how the gen set is wired into the electrical system. I'm assuming the transfer switch is ok since I have electrical power in the coach when I'm connected to shore power. I have battery power to lights, etc. when not connected. What I don't have is power with the generator running. I suspect its a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere but I don't know were to look. I've inspected the power panel under the bed and everything looks fine there. I have not opened the bed to inspect the transfer switch. I believe this may have started after starting the generator while still connected to shore power. That's why I think it may be a breaker or fuse.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

I had the same problem once. There is another breaker right on the Generator, if I can remember correctly when you take the access door / cover, it's on the lower left side. I remember it being hard to see, and I think there is a picture of it in the manual. You just push it to reset.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'm not sure how the gen set is wired into the electrical system. I'm assuming the transfer switch is ok since I have electrical power in the coach when I'm connected to shore power. I have battery power to lights, etc. when not connected. What I don't have is power with the generator running. I suspect its a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere but I don't know were to look. I've inspected the power panel under the bed and everything looks fine there. I have not opened the bed to inspect the transfer switch. I believe this may have started after starting the generator while still connected to shore power. That's why I think it may be a breaker or fuse.
Your shore power and generator power both run into the transfer switch. If it gets stuck you will still have power from the side that it is stuck on.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Breaker on the bed panel is the next location I would check.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Thanks all. I spent several hours today trying to find some elusive breaker without any success. As much as I hated to, I broke down and call Thor's tech support. After 30 or so minutes being told repeatedly that I would only be on hold for 2 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 3 minutes, etc they finally answered. According to tech support, there is no other switch/breaker other than the one on the generator. Power runs from the generator directly to the Transfer Switch. Apparently, when I started the generator still plugged into shore power something "fried" in the transfer switch. We head out for Florida on Wednesday so I think once I find warmer weather (we're Baltimore, MD) I will see if I can "unstick" whatever is frozen. Maybe I'll be lucky and get it working again without replacing the transfer switch. Tech Support thinks I'll have to replace it. Thanks again everyone. Your support helped me run down a number of leads.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks all. I spent several hours today trying to find some elusive breaker without any success. As much as I hated to, I broke down and call Thor's tech support. After 30 or so minutes being told repeatedly that I would only be on hold for 2 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 3 minutes, etc they finally answered. According to tech support, there is no other switch/breaker other than the one on the generator. Power runs from the generator directly to the Transfer Switch. Apparently, when I started the generator still plugged into shore power something "fried" in the transfer switch. We head out for Florida on Wednesday so I think once I find warmer weather (we're Baltimore, MD) I will see if I can "unstick" whatever is frozen. Maybe I'll be lucky and get it working again without replacing the transfer switch. Tech Support thinks I'll have to replace it. Thanks again everyone. Your support helped me run down a number of leads.
I don't think starting the generator while still being plugged in is what caused it. Transfer switches are designed to do that, I've done it several times with no problems.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

I didn't think the Aces had a auto transfer switch.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I didn't think the Aces had a auto transfer switch.
All ACE models come with an automatic transfer switch.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #11

All I know is I tripped my system twice. Once I had to go outside and reset the switch on the generator.
The other time there was a breaker tripped in the panel at the foot of my bed. I do not recall which breaker it was. I just know it was keeping any and all power from reaching the inside of the ACE. Wish it was that easy in your case.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Another generator update. I opened up the transfer switch and started nosing around in it to see if I could figure out what was stuck or fried. Its mounted like everything else in a RV, impossible to reach or work on. I used a mirror and flash light and pulled on a couple of wires and tried tightening wire nuts. One just didn't feel right so I took the wires apart. Solid copper to stranded wire. Never a good mix but it appeared they weren't making contact. So I put them back together, pushed and pulled on a couple more wires and then fired up the generator. IT WORKED! I now have generator power in the RV again. I think I will reinspect the connection (in warmer weather) to make sure everything is tight.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #14

Why do you have wire nuts and stranded wire in your transfer switch? Where is the stranded wire from?

Tags
generator, thor