Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Thor ACE - no spare tire?

I've owned toy haulers before and have always had a spare tire, or at least the option.

This weekend, when crawling around our new baby (ACE 29.2), I noticed there's no spare tire....or even a mounting place for it. Is it hidden somewhere, or do the ACEs not offer a spare tire? I don't recall seeing it even as an option in their literature.

Is it common practice not to offer spare tires on class A motorhomes - or is this unique to the ACE product line?
mfolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

There's no spare, and that is typical with Class A's. I purchased an unmounted spare and carry it in the mega storage.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Looks like I'll be doing the same. I can't imagine venturing out without a spare.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
i bought one (mounted) on eBay and keep it in the mega storage area.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had Type A MH's since '98, in that time I have NEVER had a need for a spare tire, nor have I had a flat or blowout. In fact it goes back to our Type B in '88, although I did have a spare and never needed it then either.
Good tires (Michelins) and checking pressure daily on the road (and some luck) has kept me from needing anything but new tires after 8+ years on the present Type A.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towertime View Post
i bought one (mounted) on eBay and keep it in the mega storage area.
Just curious, what does it weigh?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Just curious, what does it weigh?
If I recall correctly, it was about 110 lbs, mounted.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

This is off-topic, but where's the sticker with the curb weight? I can't find it.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

I carry a can of fix a flat for large tires in all my pickups and the MH. This stuff will get you out of a pinch. Also on a MH if a front tire goes bad just rob one of the duels off the back and limp in. If a duel on the rear goes flat just limp on in, drive very slow! This reminds me, I think I need a bottle jack and a spinner wrench if I need to do any tire robbing. Or as the wife says, that's why we have AAA!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I don't have a spare and to date haven't needed one. I had Goodyear G670' for 4 years from 2006 till 2010, the tires were dated 2006 and I got 2 blowouts on the inner sidewall one drivers front and next year drivers rear inner. Called good sams and hand new ones installed. Now have Michelins 16 ply. The spare tire would have to be changed in time just like your others, (5 to 7 years).

I'm getting too old to try to change a tire on a class A, some lugs are torqued at 150 ft/lbs and on some Workhorse Chassis as much as 250.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

Many MH owners will tell you that it's difficult, bordering on impossible, for senior-citizen types to manage the weight and maneuvering required to change over to a spare - and that they prefer to just call roadside assistance.

Might work for most, but MANY of the places we travel to and stay, are remote wilderness areas, where there is NO phone service, cell or otherwise - and the nearest roadside assistance is over 100 miles away.

Our '88 Winnie has a spare mounted in a rear doghouse compartment - might be awkward and heavy, but I prefer at least the option to change it myself, rather than trust to luck or chance...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't needed my auto liability, collision, comp, or my home owners insurance very much either. Am I wasting money paying those premiums?
My spare tire is also insurance and I also have a roadside assistance policy. If I had a flat in a camp spot that I was planning to be there all day any way, I'd probably call them to put my spare on.
If I had a flat on the side of the road and my choices were to wait 2 to 8 hrs for roadside assistance to get there or just take the bull by the horns and change it myself, I'd probably get my gloves and coveralls on and gitter done.
I don't like changing tires but I like being broke down on the side of the road less.
I would not like, not having a spare tire.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolland View Post
This is off-topic, but where's the sticker with the curb weight? I can't find it.
On my 29.1 all the stickers are below the window on the driver side.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #14

Another useful tool that you should carry is an electric impact wrench with a good extension and socket if you plan on changing your own tires. I carry one but hope it never gets used.

1/2 in. Impact Wrench with Hog Ring Anvil-DW293 at The Home Depot
TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor