Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
Did you add an anti-sway bar to the rear or just the CHF?

Did the CHF front and rear and added a Blue Ox track bar to the rear. The CHF reduces the sway or roll when turning. The track bar reduces horizontal spring movement which reduces push from wind and passing trucks.

The track bar was pricey but even a tight wad like me thought it was worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Did the CHF front and rear and added a Blue Ox track bar to the rear. The CHF reduces the sway or roll when turning. The track bar reduces horizontal spring movement which reduces push from wind and passing trucks.

The track bar was pricey but even a tight wad like me thought it was worth it.
I actually have not done the CHF yet. I'll have to find a place that will do it for me as I have nowhere to work on the underneath myself. Also I have no torque wrench. Those are the exact problems I'm trying to solve now, especially the roll. As you mentioned before, this is the last "polish" I plan on doing.
Shifty103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #31

Quote:
I actually have not done the CHF yet. I'll have to find a place that will do it for me as I have nowhere to work on the underneath myself. Also I have no torque wrench. Those are the exact problems I'm trying to solve now, especially the roll. As you mentioned before, this is the last "polish" I plan on doing.

I did mine in a gravel driveway. Took about 2-3 hours but I work slow. You might try a Ford truck shop that you can get to. No parts involved, just some labor. Easy to undo if you don't like the effect it has. My guess is you will.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #32

Quote:
I did mine in a gravel driveway. Took about 2-3 hours but I work slow. You might try a Ford truck shop that you can get to. No parts involved, just some labor. Easy to undo if you don't like the effect it has. My guess is you will.
Same here. Gravel driveway and all. My brother-in-law and I also installed the Blue Ox track bar in the driveway.

Agree completely that any shop with a level spot to park it should be able to do it for you.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #33

I actually contacted the local Ford truck dealership and they told me they couldn't work on it there. I must live in a very wierd place because there seems to be no close place that will work on it. There is a RV dealership in Pa that I used once before but they only work on it very early in the year when their business is slow, because I didn't buy it there. Maybe I'll try them again in very early spring. That is the dealership that installed the Blue Ox True Steer. I asked them at the time about a track bar (anti-sway bar) for the rear and they told me I shouldn't do it because it would make the ride worse (stiffer). That's also the same dealer that refused to work on my rig when I called later this year. Anyway, I'm not done trying. Thanks for the help and insight.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #34

Quote:
I actually contacted the local Ford truck dealership and they told me they couldn't work on it there. I must live in a very wierd place because there seems to be no close place that will work on it. There is a RV dealership in Pa that I used once before but they only work on it very early in the year when their business is slow, because I didn't buy it there. Maybe I'll try them again in very early spring. That is the dealership that installed the Blue Ox True Steer. I asked them at the time about a track bar (anti-sway bar) for the rear and they told me I shouldn't do it because it would make the ride worse (stiffer). That's also the same dealer that refused to work on my rig when I called later this year. Anyway, I'm not done trying. Thanks for the help and insight.
It the track bar is installed properly I can't see how it'd make the ride stiffer. It reduces side-to-side movement to help reduce tailwag. But it shouldn't affect the up-and-down movement enough to be able to tell.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
It the track bar is installed properly I can't see how it'd make the ride stiffer. It reduces side-to-side movement to help reduce tailwag. But it shouldn't affect the up-and-down movement enough to be able to tell.

X2

The CHF might stiffen the ride some.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #36

Shifty

This is a list of some places that work on Ford Trucks in DE area. Maybe one of them will do it.

https://www.mechanicadvisor.com/de/s...k-repair-shops

Maybe a mechanic that works for a local garage will do it on the side at your location. Any auto mechanic can do this.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Shifty

This is a list of some places that work on Ford Trucks in DE area. Maybe one of them will do it.

https://www.mechanicadvisor.com/de/s...k-repair-shops

Maybe a mechanic that works for a local garage will do it on the side at your location. Any auto mechanic can do this.
Thanks, a couple of those I have not heard of and will check out. If I could work on my rig at home I would attempt the work myself, at least the CHF, but I would not feel comfortable working on it in the street and that's the only place. I will get the work done eventually. The coach is almost right and I want it right to feel more comfortable.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #38

Hope you solve it, I hate the "one more thing to do" being unresolved. Of course I always add one more thing when the last one is done.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #39

Quote:
I don't know where you live but read you mentioned PA.
I live in south central PA and can recommend an excellent shop that will work on any make or model rv.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I don't know where you live but read you mentioned PA.
I live in south central PA and can recommend an excellent shop that will work on any make or model rv.
I'll take any recommendation I can get, thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Hope you solve it, I hate the "one more thing to do" being unresolved. Of course I always add one more thing when the last one is done.
I contacted Blue Ox and was told they do make a TigerTrak trac bar for the Thor ACE and that I should use a Blue Ox anti-sway bar. Thought others have had trac bars installed on their ACE's.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:59 AM   #42

Quote:
I contacted Blue Ox and was told they do make a TigerTrak trac bar for the Thor ACE and that I should use a Blue Ox anti-sway bar. Thought others have had trac bars installed on their ACE's.
My ACE 29.3 came with a front track bar, standard Ford. I added the Blue Ox Tiger Trak to the rear.

Your F53 chassis has 2 Ford standard sway bars, one front and one rear. Companies do sell "heavy duty" sway bars that reduce sway in turns, similar to the CHF. Being frugal, I tried the CHF first and found it did the job. If you don't mind the cost of the upgraded sway bars, you will probably be happy with their performance.

Tags
ace, thor