Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Thor ACE question

Has anyone installed Konis shocks or beefier sway bars on their ACE? Has it made much difference?
Shifty103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #2

Have not done either one. Have added track bar, steering stabilizer, did CHF.
What are you trying to improve on? Sway when turning, porpoising, push from passing trucks,etc.?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed Koni FSD’s on my 2017 ACE 30.1 and it made a world of difference in killing porpoising and general ride improvement. At the same time, I installed a SuperSteer rear track bar and done the CHF on front and rear. Coach handles much, much better and the track bar has made the push from passing trucks go mostly away. I still get more lean than I’d like on curves, so SumoSprings are on the list to add after this winter.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #4

Triplewide, what I would be trying to improve is the ride a bit, and to reduce sway or lean when turning. I can't say I've experienced any porpoising. The ride can be pretty harsh on less than smooth roads, especially potholed ones.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
Triplewide, what I would be trying to improve is the ride a bit, and to reduce sway or lean when turning. I can't say I've experienced any porpoising. The ride can be pretty harsh on less than smooth roads, especially potholed ones.
I am interested in the same thing you are. Have read on other threads that the Sumo Maxim's help with sway when turning. Jolts from road transitions/pot holes can be pretty harsh. Have also read on other threads that some people think the bangs from potholes are from the valving on the factory shocks which is too restrictive. Those think the Koni valving is more suitable to the F53/RV combination. Others think the bangs are from the axle bottoming out on the factory jounce bumper. These believe the Sumo's are the best approach. The clearance between my axle and the factory bumper is about 2 3/4". Doesn't seem like much to me. I am about 1,500 pounds under the GVWR on the coach. I think the suspension is approaching maximum design capability.

I have thought about putting a dab of grease on the axle at the point where the jounce bumper would impact it. Take it on a trip. Check for grease on the bumper when I get home. If there is grease on the bumper, then Sumo's might be the best bet. If no grease, then Koni's might work better.

Would be interested in what you experience if you do either mod. Would also be good to know what DenverTP finds out after installing Sumos. Especially since he has the Koni's already.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTP View Post
I installed Koni FSD’s on my 2017 ACE 30.1 and it made a world of difference in killing porpoising and general ride improvement. At the same time, I installed a SuperSteer rear track bar and done the CHF on front and rear. Coach handles much, much better and the track bar has made the push from passing trucks go mostly away. I still get more lean than I’d like on curves, so SumoSprings are on the list to add after this winter.

Looking forward to what you find if you add the Sumo's
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #7

Interesting. I'm going to do some more research before I do anything, but I'll be checking back in here to see if there are any updates. Haven't done any measuring on mine yet, but 2 3/4 inches doesn't seem like much for sure. I'm leaning toward the sumos but we'll see.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

We have a '17 ACE 29.3. That thing would wallow around like a hippo in heat.

1. did the CHF. It helped but not enough for me. We were still getting blown around in a cross wind or when we were passed by a truck.

2. I went all out with suspension with the exception of shocks. Heavy duty aux. rear sway bar, replaced frond sway bar with HD unit, added steering stabilizer.

We took a 4 month trip to the pacific NW last summer and we tamed that hippo. It was a pleasure to drive. No unexpected lane changes, no swaying in the wind.

All I can say is DO IT! You'll be glad you did.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

I did the CHF first then installed a Blue Ox track bar. We just completed a 5000-mile trip to Nova Scota, and the ride was harsh in the northeast US, but holy cow, those were the roughest roads I've ever seen. Generally, I'm very happy.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I did the CHF first then installed a Blue Ox track bar. We just completed a 5000-mile trip to Nova Scota, and the ride was harsh in the northeast US, but holy cow, those were the roughest roads I've ever seen. Generally, I'm very happy.
Our wonderful New England winters really tear up the roads.
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #11

l've got the Blue Ox True center steering stabilizer and that worked very well at stabilizing the rig and all but eliminated the blow from big trucks. I've decided to have Sumo Springs installed. Not sure when yet, I'm getting estimates now. I'll update when I get it done.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
l've got the Blue Ox True center steering stabilizer and that worked very well at stabilizing the rig and all but eliminated the blow from big trucks. I've decided to have Sumo Springs installed. Not sure when yet, I'm getting estimates now. I'll update when I get it done.

Interested in how you like them.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
I am interested in the same thing you are. Have read on other threads that the Sumo Maxim's help with sway when turning. Jolts from road transitions/pot holes can be pretty harsh. Have also read on other threads that some people think the bangs from potholes are from the valving on the factory shocks which is too restrictive. Those think the Koni valving is more suitable to the F53/RV combination. Others think the bangs are from the axle bottoming out on the factory jounce bumper. These believe the Sumo's are the best approach. The clearance between my axle and the factory bumper is about 2 3/4". Doesn't seem like much to me. I am about 1,500 pounds under the GVWR on the coach. I think the suspension is approaching maximum design capability.

I have thought about putting a dab of grease on the axle at the point where the jounce bumper would impact it. Take it on a trip. Check for grease on the bumper when I get home. If there is grease on the bumper, then Sumo's might be the best bet. If no grease, then Koni's might work better.

Would be interested in what you experience if you do either mod. Would also be good to know what DenverTP finds out after installing Sumos. Especially since he has the Koni's already.

Put the grease on yesterday, plan to head out next week for a few days. Will post results when we return.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not an Ace owner but have a 2006 Hurricane on an 18,000 Lbs. chassis in the driveway. Koni's help with general ride comfort on less than optom roads. Koni's are a bit softer than the gas charged Bilstein so the ride is a bit softer. Did the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) along with replaced the rear sway bar bushings which had very good results improving body roll and sway. Adding a rear trac bar pretty much stopped tail wag or rear push from passing vehicles and moderate weather. Can pretty much drive with one hand if I choose too and doing 400 mile drives are not as tiring as it was before.

I also have air bags at each wheel. Not much in terms of improving overall ride for the cost. Some reduction in rear suspension bottoming. My coach does have a lot of house behind the rear axle (1/3 of the overall length), all the liquid load and my largest storage area so the bags do help regain designed ride height. Load rebalancing after a weight check also helped. If I get the pressure too high the coach can get pretty bouncy.

If an owner wants to get in the chase of improving the ride of an F53 set your priorities based on cost of the change. Make one change and then drive the coach for a 1000 miles or so and determine if you need to move to the next item on your list. Could be all you need is to set tire pressures correctly and the CHF to get the coach were you like it.

Tags
ace, thor