RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #29

Another Place for water intrusion.

While doing some foaming for mice and water, in the storage bays, I noticed some light on the outside metal of the bay. On the drivers side bays the outside metal is two piece with black caulk where the two pieces meet. I checked all the bays and could see light from all the seams. If you look at Poshilldav's photos you can see one of the seams on the right side. I caulked all the seams, so that should take care of any water running down around the doors and into the bays.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone else had leaks here also.

Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #30

Yep, those spots have daylight. Caulked and will cover with my rubber seal tape.

Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #31

Door Seals

I bought 25' of this seal on Amazon:

Name:   TrimLok Door seal.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  10.4 KB

I got the 1/16 and the 5/8" bulb in the A position. I tried it on one door and it looks like a better solution than my home made one. I estimate I will need about 100 ft. to do all of the doors that need sealed. Cost about $140.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #32

Possible source

We have a new 3401 that has same problem. The last time it happened I had one of the bays completely dry. When I came back a few minutes later there was a 3" circle of water about 6" in from the door. I have a feeling the water is getting in from above. Maybe the top slide seal. Thoughts.
jdamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #33

Love the floor plans of these units, but these repeated issues with leaking bays just isnít good. Hope u all can get a permanent fix
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #34

Trade it in now and cut your losses. Thor is a bad name.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamann View Post
We have a new 3401 that has same problem. The last time it happened I had one of the bays completely dry. When I came back a few minutes later there was a 3" circle of water about 6" in from the door. I have a feeling the water is getting in from above. Maybe the top slide seal. Thoughts.
Which bay, and were your slides in or out?

After new door seals were installed at the factory and complete foaming and caulking as stated before, no leaks, completely dry.
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #36

Good to hear

We just came back from Niagara Falls in the dry, so no test on my seal modification.
I am going to put the Trim Lok seal on two doors and see how it goes.
At the Thor rally Colton RV brought in five new units. The one Aria 3401 showed water leakage. When i looked in the basement the front wall was not well sealed where the beams come in. The rear wall was not sealed at all. The units had the larger door seals since they were 2018 models.
The 3901 basement looked dry, but maybe it had not travelled through rain yet. Again, the rear wall was not sealed at all around the frame beams.
I do not agree with the earlier statement about Thor. Talking to other brand owners, they all have some version of this problem.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishilldav View Post
I do not agree with the earlier statement about Thor. Talking to other brand owners, they all have some version of this problem.
In my opinion, its obvious Thor is only in it for the money. I have looked at Palazzo, Aria, and Tuscany and on the surface they are nice looking which makes you think they are a great buy. However, digging deeper into the mechanics/fit and finish and that's where they are lacking terribly which makes them not such a great deal. It appears they don't care how it is engineered, just the bottom line. I have owned Tiffin and Newmar and both stand behind their product and will take great care of the customer. If there is a problem they will fix it right and not dilly dally or put a band aid on it. With Tiffin, they will authorize you to take it to a shop of your choice to have the problem fixed and they will pay for it. Tiffin will also reimburse you for front end alignment within the first year of ownership.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #38

The bulb diameter on this seal (5/8) is not large enough to close the gap when the doors are shut. I am going to try and get a piece with a 1" bulb to test.
So far, my homemade fix is working.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #39

Water/Dirt in Bays

Have not experienced any cargo bay leaks while sitting on our 18 Aria 3601. All doors are tight against door gaskets. However, while driving is a totally different story. Main areas of water and dirt/sand are two middle cargo bays. Scheduled warranty appointment with local dealer in mid-August to work problem. Service manager acknowledged Thor identified water and dirt intrusion while traveling to gaps around single frame rail running through bay areas from front tires. There is some foam around these areas applied during build, but found several areas of gaps or no form applied. Will advise if problem gets resolved.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #40

Door Seal Fix

I finally tried the 1" dia Trim Lok seal on my basement doors. It is not a solution because the larger "bulb" kinks in the radius areas.
I have replaced two doors with the AP 018-088-BB seal. In order to insure a tight fit around the entire circumference I added a rubber contact surface to the inside surface of the door. When I close the door now I can see that the seal "indents" this rubber door surface all the way around the opening.
I am going to replace all of my door seals this way.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #41

I have a 2018 Aria 3901 which was delivered straight off the line in August, 2017. I have not had water in the basement as a result of driving in the rain but a leaking faucet in the kitchen sink. It almost filled the bays underneath.

Many other problems caused by a poorly trained assembly line though. No excuse! Thor should add another year to the warranty on all Aria s because of their mistakes.
OnNTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #42

I am the owner of a new 3901 aria. I asked the salesman if this unit had leaky bays to which he acted like he's never heard of it. Long story short. The day I took delivery it was raining. And on a 15 minute drive the bays had water in them. Booked it in for repair. 2 months later they looked at it. They ordered new door seals. 2 more months later they installed them. First drive in the rain. Water in the bay. So as I was looking in the bays I noticed along the edge close to the doors there is a gap between the floor and edge of where the doors sit. At first I thought ok I'll seal these. But then I saw that the edges of the fiberglass panels are raw wood. I figured if I sealed it the moisture will be trapped. Like any water leak, sealing it from the inside is futile you seal it from the outside. I stuck my head into the passenger side wheel well and what do I see. Between the plastic wheel well liner and edge of the wheel well there is a 3/4 inch gap. So essentially water from the tires hits that gap and the back of the compartment panel and drips down between those gaps between compartments. The driver side has the same issue but since the propane compartment is there the water doesn't go into the bays on that side. I was in the middle of a long trip so I put some duct tape on that gap . Drove 1000 more miles home in a rain storm and no more water in the bay. Just something for people to look into who have gone through this annoying issue that has no excuses on a quarter million dollar rig. I also fixed the washing machine water leaks and main bathroom sink drain and supply which all leaked. These things look like they are assembled by a high school shop class. ͡ good travels

Thoraria3901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor