Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Thor Astoria Bunk House

Hi, Does anyone have a Astoria Bunk House, looking for input on how they are holding up, or any dislikes, MHSRV in Texas seems to have quite a few with good pricing on 2011's, I guess I'm looking for owners that have good, bad, or indifferent opinions on them. Thanks for any info.

Bob & Julie
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2010 Astoria 3772 which is the non-bunkhouse floorplan. We love it... but... There were several fit and finish issues. It spent spent two weeks back at the dealer correcting things such as water leak under sink, drawer tracks incompletely fastened, wobbly table, entire kitchen counter flexing 1/8 inch away from backsplash as slide runs in-out. All were corrected but an year later I still have some issues I am correcting as time passes. I am not at all sastified with the owners manual. It appears that Thor needs a good technical writer to bring these up to date. My 2010 manual has obsolete or incomplete information on the slides, entertainment system, inverter, awning.... The only other issue I have is the driver's window. It has a horizontal split right at eye level. Everythime I look to the left, I am raising or ducking my head to see over/under that channel.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob461 View Post
We have a 2010 Astoria 3772 which is the non-bunkhouse floorplan. We love it... but... There were several fit and finish issues. It spent spent two weeks back at the dealer correcting things such as water leak under sink, drawer tracks incompletely fastened, wobbly table, entire kitchen counter flexing 1/8 inch away from backsplash as slide runs in-out. All were corrected but an year later I still have some issues I am correcting as time passes. I am not at all sastified with the owners manual. It appears that Thor needs a good technical writer to bring these up to date. My 2010 manual has obsolete or incomplete information on the slides, entertainment system, inverter, awning.... The only other issue I have is the driver's window. It has a horizontal split right at eye level. Everythime I look to the left, I am raising or ducking my head to see over/under that channel.
Was this built by damon or Thor or were they the same back then, I also read somewhere about a new QC checklist , wonder if that would caught most of that, How is the ride, rattles, easy to drive or a battle, I not to interested in buying something that I have to add swaybars and such to make it drivable, if you know what I mean
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
x2 the manuals they were written in such a generic form.

our tuscany had small issues with fit and finish, i think they all leak under the sink, ours did and flooded the basement as we slept.
silly hose clamp on aline that had not been tightened......even had a qc stamp on water pressure test to laying in the cabinet
we had a laugh
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob & Julie,
Mine was built by Damon. I traded in a 34 ft Fleetwood Storm gasser on the Ford chassis. The DP air ride Astoria drives great. I am considering changing that pesky driver's window with the horizontal seam at eye level but not changing anything on the suspension. Love driving that Freightliner chassis. We don't have rattles or squeaks driving except for the occasional stuff in the cabinets moving around. That's our fault not the coaches.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
thanks bob461 and powerboatr for responding, sounds like you both are enjoying your coaches, happy to hear that the ride is good, hard to tell on short test drives.
thanks again
Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I have the 09 bunkhouse model, bought it in april with 4980 miles, still smelled new. We made a trip to yellowstone and back by way of michigan, driving was good, fuel mileage improved as the miles piled up.

Don"t know about this year model but the bunk room sucks. No ladder, no safety rail or net for the top bunk. mattress is only 28 in wide, the privacy curtain is for the bunk room and when its closed the tv for the bunk room is blocked. I replaced the 15 in that came with the coach with a 19 in 12V/110 model.

The closet in the master is not deep enough for the doors to slide closed without turning the hangers at an angle. I replaced the cheesy closet rod with a good solid wooden closet rod.

The cockpit looks like it was designed by accident and certainly not by someone who has ever spent any time driving one of these. The owners manual leaves much to be desired.

It is a pretty good coach but for the money quoted on the MSRP one could do a lot better with a Tiffin or Expediton bunkroom models at a cheaper MSRP. The phaeton bunkroom MSRP is in the same range as the Damon but light years ahead on design and quality.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Jimmy thanks for the input, any trouble with the Fridge, is it a norcold 1200 ? Agree on the msrp comparisions, but the final priceing seems to be quit a bit different, for instance a Astoria with msrp of about 255 is selling for 160 while a Phaeton msrp 272 sells for about 210, in your estimation is the xtra 50k worth it. we are about 7 years from retirement and am certain this will not be what we end up with, more for taking grandkids on long weekends with a few long trips for us, thats my hesitation in spending the xtra cash, seemingly only to throw it away later when we buy for us.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracefn45 View Post
Jimmy thanks for the input, any trouble with the Fridge, is it a norcold 1200 ? Agree on the msrp comparisions, but the final priceing seems to be quit a bit different, for instance a Astoria with msrp of about 255 is selling for 160 while a Phaeton msrp 272 sells for about 210, in your estimation is the xtra 50k worth it. we are about 7 years from retirement and am certain this will not be what we end up with, more for taking grandkids on long weekends with a few long trips for us, thats my hesitation in spending the xtra cash, seemingly only to throw it away later when we buy for us.
The fridge door open alarm was constanly going off. had a spring loaded curtain rod keeping it pressed in. One dealer, a Cummins/Onan service center in Elkhart, In said I needed two new doors, I took it to Hobson RV appliance and they put 3 shims on the bottom of the left door. Problem solved.
The generator was under warranty and it was repaired nicely.

Personally I like the Tiffin better than Damon but the Damon is better priced and for taking grandkids that is a plus. I have the bunk model and it did not come with a top bunk safety rail, ladder or DVD players at each bunk. I can solve that myself. The sleeper sofa in my opionon is badly designed and a piece of junk. I am looking for a replacement sofa and jack knife as well.

The Phaeton is prettier of course and more fancy equipment but I am learning my coach and making it mine with my own modifications. A unit as nice as the Phaeton will only make you sick when something gets messed up. So in the final analysis i am not sure its worth the extra 50K.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Was this built by damon or Thor or were they the same back then, I also read somewhere about a new QC checklist , wonder if that would caught most of that, How is the ride, rattles, easy to drive or a battle, I not to interested in buying something that I have to add swaybars and such to make it drivable, if you know what I mean
Not much seems to have changed since Thor purchased Damon seems pretty much same suppliers same quality issues
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Mine has the Norcold 1200, other than the recall no problems. Like Jimmy, I am still learning about mine and modifying it to make it my own. I added two outlets on the kitchen wall so we wouldn't have to fight the outlets on the underside of the cupboard. One outlet off those and the second off the microwave circuit so we could use the coffee maker and toaster at the same time. Cut the dining table back 4 inches to allow more room to walk through with the slide closed. Still have the two extension pieces to make the table bigger if needed when parked. Switched out the bathroom vent fan for one with a remote opening and on/off switch on the wall. DW could not reach the original ceiling mounted handcrank and on/off. I have a new driver's window being built with the horizontal split above and out of eye level. That is supposed to be ready next week. After the purchase last sumer, the dealer had it for three weeks fixing stuff. Since then the work has been making improvements rather than fixing broken stuff. We are happy with it and getting happier with each improvement.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #12

We have an 08 Astoria 3776 Pacific Edition bunkhouse. It's our first motorhome, and we're generally quite happy with it. One weakness that's been addressed in the new models is the towing capacity; mine, with the allison 2500 transmission, is limited to 5000#. I believe that's 10k now.

We've put 30,000 miles on it since august 08, and have had no reliability issues whatsoever. The real wheels keep throwing hubcaps, though.... drives me crazy.

For what we paid, which was a lot less than the number you quoted, we got very good value.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for all the input, seems most are generally happy and with a little work and some extra cash to lose in the market, I could join this club, now I just have to sell my toyhauler and I can make DW happy.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is in the shop in Plano, TX getting the wrinkled water compartment door and baggage compt door replaced. shop is applying the latest re-call on the Norcold 1200.
right rear quarter panel is also being addressed. that little piece of sheet metal is applied to the alumimun frame with six screws on the back under the molding trim, and with adhesive on the leading edge. Turns out none of the screws actually entered the framework, all of the adhesive of the leading edge broke loose. Phillip will fix that and that should improve the appearance a lot.

As each improvement is made, i find it easier to live with. For the money it is not a bad MH, just that Damon didn't go far on the quality control. I find the design of the instrument panel to be in much need of improvement. the electronic monitor panel is mounted at the bottom and i have to lean forward to see it. No big deal except all the idiot lights are on that monitor. and on the top of the panel there isn't any flat surface to mount anything. That inconvience will be fixed when the coach returns to home base. I purchased a piece of 1/2 in furniture grade plywood and cut a piece to fit on the top right side to provide the needed flat surface. Its sanded and stained just waiting.

I move the so-called map light from the unusable position on the driver panel to the rear of the driver and moved it to the right side of the instrustment panel. works nice now.

Tags
thor