Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #43

We also bought at LaMesa in Davis. we too had a problem with SLOW work in the work area. We bought the 37GT, I finally contacted THOR factory in person the person got things going. I have since changed service dealers to one in Roseville. It is a beautiful coach we had a 2001 Cruisemaster for 10 yrs. We are gong to install the 5 star chip to stop the constant shifting on the road. We travel to the mid-west every year and usually I 40 but are trying a different route this time.
okiefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to needlenoses
water siphoning off

We too have purchased a 2010 371 kt from La Mesa in Yuma. Most of the issues with La Mesa stem from their "NEED FOR SPEED". Pump thoses coaches out. Not going to do a moan and groan about this. Just beware. BTW, La Mesa did pay for all the things found within the 30 days, so that wasn't it.

There was a fix posted last year, but I can't remeber who did it. Damon actually has the fix, and will do it under warrenty, or will send you the PDF with instructions.

Basically, you just pull both overflow hoses up and out to top of tank; re-rout and join the together where convenient, then run a length of hose all the way back into the rear cap. There is room all the way, and a hole can be unplugged in the cap. The hose is run up into the cap in a loop, then back down so that it is close to the tail lights. Pop off one, or two of the tail lights so that the hose can be attached to the inside wall with a clamp. That's all folks. Tested it by over filling the tank. Works fine, and no tap or valve is involved.

Now, if I can figure out why my big passenger side slide is hanging up and making loud banging noises coming in and out I will be a happier camper.

After living in the coach for two months on the road, we find that the interior is cramped for space, and the storage areas inside are very limited. Basement storage is great. We are comparing this to our 2008 Bounder 35E. The bounder had a much higher ceiling which gave that coach a more open feeling, and a LOT more storage space.

This Challenger came with the BANKS exhaust, intake and computer system installed. I don't notice any diference in mileage or performance while driving thought the mountains, or on the flats. Bounder had same Chassis and engine. So, there you go; another opinion.
needlenoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
Now, if I can figure out why my big passenger side slide is hanging up and making loud banging noises coming in and out I will be a happier camper.
From what I've read, your large slide is controlled by cables. They tend to stretch and seat shortly after they are used initially and require adjusting and tightening. I read that there is a class given on the inspection and maintenance on the cables. Perhaps you should contact Thor before one of them breaks or gets off a track.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, just got back from PA. What a great trip. Will post some pics soon. I did have one issue. By the time I got home after traveling 68 through rocky gap, my front brakes were shot. It sounded like gravel when I pushed the brake petal. Fortunately, it didn't get really bad until we were a couple of miles from the house. I took it to the ford dealer today to get it looked at. On the way there, it was like nothing had happened to the brakes. Everything seemed normal. But, I'm having them pull all the wheels and look. I need to get a smaller toad or get a brake buddy. I never had that problem in the 14k I put on my class c towing the same truck.
camaromance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to needlenoses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
From what I've read, your large slide is controlled by cables. They tend to stretch and seat shortly after they are used initially and require adjusting and tightening. I read that there is a class given on the inspection and maintenance on the cables. Perhaps you should contact Thor before one of them breaks or gets off a track.
Not that it matters, but all three slides are run by cable. The two smaller slides come in on rollers, but not the larger slide. Not that I can see anyway.

Good idea about contacting Damon. I will do that for sure. Don't know where the loud bang is from other that at the end closest to the door.
needlenoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #48

Large slide

Quote:
Not that it matters, but all three slides are run by cable. The two smaller slides come in on rollers, but not the larger slide. Not that I can see anyway.

Good idea about contacting Damon. I will do that for sure. Don't know where the loud bang is from other that at the end closest to the door.
We just had the same issue with the large slide that contains the dining room and master bedroom. La Mesa ended up contacting the manufacturer and they replaced the entire motor with a different one. La Mesa said they acknowledged that the motor was under powered for a slide that large. My husband was actually having to go out and and manually assist it while I pushed the button. We have taken it out once since then with no issues. It was parked and out for 4 days and then came right in like it was supposed to.
Amanda0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #49

My husband and I are looking to purchase our 1st RV next month at the RV show in Pomona, CA. We love the layout of the Challenger 37KT. Can anyone tell me what kind of gas mileage we can expect to get and if we are better off not purchasing at a show? We have been wanting to do this for years and can't wait to live our dream! Anything help would be greatly appreciated!
Happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #50

Cargo Capacity?

Would anyone with a 2013/2014 Challenger (preferably a 37GT, but 37KT is OK too) be willing to post your OCCC rating from the yellow sticker on the door? I.e. the "Weight of occupant and cargo should never exceed XYZ lbs." part? We've been causally researching and shopping in preparation for a purchase in the Spring of 2014, but it's hard to learn anything about cargo carrying capacities from the manufacturer or dealer web sites. Love the 37GT floor plan!

Thanks,
Mike
greendog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0808 View Post
We have looked at the 2013 37KT and really like the floor plan. Has Thor began to correct the water siphon issue at the factory? We are just waiting on a sale of the S&B after which I think we would purchase a 37 KT. It may be a 2013 or 2014 not sure yet, but would sure expect the problem to be corrected before the purchase. DW sure does like to have a little fresh water in the tank for a shower when we arrive at overnight stop. I need some for fresh coffee!!Come on Thor fix the problem!!
I have a 2014 and have same problem. On a 200 mile trip almost all my fresh water was gone. I thought I might have done something wrong , so I tried again on a 160 mile with same result. Anybody know what siphon fix is ?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
I have a 2014 and have same problem. On a 200 mile trip almost all my fresh water was gone. I thought I might have done something wrong , so I tried again on a 160 mile with same result. Anybody know what siphon fix is ?
Thor has a solution to fix the siphon issue. I had the same problem and it took two times, but my dealer was able to fix it. It requires a longer overfill hose the is routed from the water tank to the back cap of the rv, routed up a few feet to create a loop and then back down to the bottom of the cap. It is discussed in detail further up in this string, especially the discussion regarding installation of a valve on the overflow hose and what can happen if you forget to open it when filling.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not that it matters, but all three slides are run by cable. The two smaller slides come in on rollers, but not the larger slide. Not that I can see anyway. Good idea about contacting Damon. I will do that for sure. Don't know where the loud bang is from other that at the end closest to the door.
That bang is the cable connectors for the in and out cables catching on each other when they pass. It means your cables are loose and need to be adjusted. I had the same problem and caught it just in time before they broke. One of the techs at my dealer had just completed the class at Thor for how to adjust the slide cabling system. It requires a full adjustment of the cabling system. Don't let your dealer sell you short and make sure they have been trained to do the work.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromance View Post
Hi All, It’s been awhile and I wanted to give an update on Thor 37kt now that we have some miles on it.

Overall, we are completely satisfied. It has all of the good things from our class C and none of the bad. I had a few issues with the leveling system that resulted in the front jacks getting bent. Leo's RV, where I purchased my Mo-Ho, replaced the jacks under warranty with no issues. It seems the "auto-leveling" system will get you in trouble quickly. I have the LCI system and the auto leveling mode will lift the entire coach off the ground. That’s how my front jacks got bent on our first night of our 2 week road trip. Not a good way to start the trip. The jacks would still extend/retract but the noise was awful, very loud and a bit embarrassing. Leo's replaced the front jacks and hoses and the problem was resolved. Needless to say, I do not use the auto mode anymore. I level it manually, its faster and I do a better job than the auto system without lifting the coach off the ground.

We had a problem with the fresh water tank emptying out between stops. Again, with a first night out revelation. We got to our first stop that evening, the Doratio storm was coming through Northern Maryland, my jacks were bent and I had no fresh water. But we made it through. The truck stop let me fill my fresh water tank which was nice of them.

It seems when you turn left, the overflow hose will create suction on the freshwater tank and siphon the tank dry. My temporary fix was to clamp the overflow hoses with a couple of vice grips. This worked very well as long as you remember to unclamp the hoses before use. Otherwise you will take suction on your freshwater tank and lose the prime on the pump. So, that didn't happen but I imagine it could have. It is a known issue and Thor devised a fix that the dealer installed and it is no longer a problem.

Gas mileage sucks but I'm a realist and knew that going in, especially considering I was towing a Yukon. We were in St Louis over the 4th, nice town but OMG was it hot. The ACs could not keep up, it was so hot. We left after a week and went North to Ill. Weather was much nicer.

No other major issues. The coach exceeded all of my expectations. Most importantly, it feels like home on the road and we can't wait to get back out in it. Please feel free to respond and ask questions. I'm more than happy to share.

r/Jimmy
We just took our first trip in our NEW 2013 37KT and ended up with empty fresh water tanks. I suspected the siphon action and will be at our dealer's tomorrow to have them install the Thor fix. Thanks for the info.
handyman1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Hi, new to site, and busy reading. We are from central Canada, both retired and likely going to buy within the next year. We love the set up in the Challenger and the "KT" model impresses us the most. We realize it's a home on wheels and as a result issues arise in any RV requiring fix's. In reading we have a few concerns: a) there are many opinions both ways in regards to the Challenger ( THOR ) as to it's quality / reliability. b) dealer quality / timely warranty repairs. Any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... we are thinking new vs. used as you never know if it may be a lemon and at least new there is warranty. 1st time buyers and likely / hopefully our 1st will be our last.... hopefully I will see numerous helpful replies. Thank you.
Rustynail462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #56
KC

It doesn't matter what brand you have, you will have some issues at some point. having a good dealer is so important.

We love our KT, it has so much basement storage. We had a Workhorse W22 and the Ford drives better. I love the second awning.

KC

Tags
thor