Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 03:51 AM   #3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Very glad I found this thread. Wife and I have been camping for about 5 years now with a 37 foot travel trailer. Back in July sold it and picked up a 2015 Challenger 37KT with just over 4,000 miles on it. So I'm really new on inverter operation. This thread is huge and I've read a lot of it but not all. Great information.
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
I'm sure I'll have many more questions about this rig and I'm thrilled I found a group of knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry

For us, we don't own a Thor, but we DO have an inverter. Our inverter powers our residential fridge. If we are plugged in to shore power, but don't have the inverter on, fridge isn't getting power. So for US, the inverter is on 24/7. YMMV
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #3334

[QUOTE=
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
Jerry[/QUOTE]

Welcome Jerry. We have almost your identical rig. We leave the inverter on all the time unless in the shop for service and unplugged for an extended period of time. Otherwise on all the time so we don't forget to turn it on. It is smart, and only kicks in when running on battery power (12v). Hope you enjoy the KT as much as we do.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
The more expensive inverters cannot be turned off unless the A/C power to the inverter is off. Even if the inverter is off and power from a shoreline or generator is applied to the power center the inverter will turn on. My Xantrex Freedom Xi works that way.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #3336

We have that exact model and we only use the inverter when driving to power the fridge. Jerry how do you like the bed? We have replaced the mattress and replaced the loveseat for recliners. Love the pantry! Had to have slideout in bedroom fixed twice. Had to replace fridge and step motor and backup camera/stereo. We bought ours used but it was only used for one year. We have over 40,000 on ours. Good luck and safe travels!
PattyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #3337

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody know the manufacturer of the window glass for a 2014 37KT? I broke a dining room window with a rock from lawn mower and need to replace.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #3338

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
Anybody know the manufacturer of the window glass for a 2014 37KT? I broke a dining room window with a rock from lawn mower and need to replace.

I believe they are Hehr Windows. Anyone can make replacement glass, although I don't know if that differs with frameless windows like you probably have.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #3339

Leak in Driver's Side Window

Has anyone had a leak during heavy and windy rainstorms in one of the front side windows. We do. The water comes in just below the window and runs down the wallpapered wall and lands on the ledge where the jack/level control is. If you had this what was the source of the leak? What was the fix? Who diagnosed it?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #3340

weep hole

you might want to check the small slits in the window frame. they should be free of debris. they allow water to escape from inside of frame if it gets in there.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #3341

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
you might want to check the small slits in the window frame. they should be free of debris. they allow water to escape from inside of frame if it gets in there.

Had that checked and it wasn't the problem. We actually wonder if it might be coming from a roof leak and just suspecting the window because that (right below the window) is where it shows up. Don't see any obvious tears or caulking problems on the roof either though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #3342

i have a 2013 37kt and had water running down the side windows from the roof. i got a roll of stick on gutter spout on amazon and put it above the window frame to divert water from the top of the windows. seems it would be better to not have the water running over the top of window frame.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #3343

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyP View Post
We have that exact model and we only use the inverter when driving to power the fridge. Jerry how do you like the bed? We have replaced the mattress and replaced the loveseat for recliners. Love the pantry! Had to have slideout in bedroom fixed twice. Had to replace fridge and step motor and backup camera/stereo. We bought ours used but it was only used for one year. We have over 40,000 on ours. Good luck and safe travels!
The bed is not bad. We are planning on replacing the loveseat with recliners or a reclining 67" theater seat. Slides operating good, fridge is good but the steps have a mind of their own and the touchscreen has long most of its sensitivity but the cameras work fine.

Just returned from a 2400 mile trip to Alabama. Only oddity was 75 miles into the trip the cruise control quit and a warning light on the dash (a wrench) came on. Wife was looking it up and said there should be a power loss but I didn't notice any at the time. Shortly afterwards started a small uphill climb and the engine maxed out at 2500 rpm. At the top of the hill was a rest area and further troubleshooting on Google I found a post saying to shut the engine off for 10 minutes. We did and after restarting no more warning light and the cruise control was working again. No other problems for the last 2300 miles. I don't know what to think.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #3344

On our KT we have always wondered exactly where the break point was for the two legs of 50 amps each. For example, wondered where you could plug in two space heaters at the same time and have them on different legs. Or what you could run at the same time as the microwave was on, or a coffer percolator was perking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows this break point? Also, I believe that the microwave and the fireplace/heater are on their own "circuits", but they still must be on one or the other 50 amp legs. How much do you feel comfortable running on that same leg while a large power user is running? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #3345

Yes, I believe the MW and fireplace are on their own circuits. As for where the limits are on electrical capacity, I think the only time in the 5 years we’ve had our KT that I tripped one of the breakers was when the second AC unit came on (first already running), and I think the microwave was running AND the fridge just kicked on at almost exactly the same time as the AC. But in the winter we’ve had the fireplace going, Rug Buddy plugged in, two small ceramic heaters going, AC water heat, microwave, fridge, lights, TV, etc. and never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
On our KT we have always wondered exactly where the break point was for the two legs of 50 amps each. For example, wondered where you could plug in two space heaters at the same time and have them on different legs. Or what you could run at the same time as the microwave was on, or a coffer percolator was perking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows this break point? Also, I believe that the microwave and the fireplace/heater are on their own "circuits", but they still must be on one or the other 50 amp legs. How much do you feel comfortable running on that same leg while a large power user is running? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #3346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webman9113 View Post
I think the only time in the 5 years we’ve had our KT that I tripped one of the breakers was ...

And when you tripped the breaker, was it the breaker on the pedestal?

Tags
lippert, slide, thor