Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which club would you like to be established
Thor Gas Club 15 39.47%
Thor Motor Coach Club ( All Thor Coach Owners) 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Jack,
Thanks for your support, and I will call on you for assistance once I get the info in from FMCA, and the final direction we should go. I will PM you my phone number and we can talk. Again thanks for your support.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
They shouldn't discriminate against us gassers! The Thor Motor Coach Club should be open to all Thor owners.
Mikebreeze,

Thor is not discriminating against anyone! The Thor Diesel Club was NOT started by Thor!

Here is a history lesson for those who do not know the background of the Thor Diesel Club (TDC) and FMCA Chapter Clubs in general.

The original name of the TDC was Mandalay Travel Club (MTC); at the prompting of the Mandalay Luxury Division, the Mandalay Travel Club was formed in October 2004 under the International Chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA), using the FMCA boilerplate “By-Laws” and “Standing-Rules”. The Mandalay coach owners formed the club and held all the club offices.

Now fast forward to 2010…Mandalay has gone bankrupt and Thor Industries purchased the company to include Fourwinds and others. The MTC approached Thor to get sponsorship as they had enjoyed under the previous owner. Thor would not sponsor a single motor coach and told the club that the only way they would consider sponsorship was to include ALL diesel powered coaches. This was put to a vote at the international rally in Goshen and it was approved by its members which created the “Thor Diesel Club”. This was not a happy time for some of the Mandalay owners and there are still a few that are disgruntled by Thor’s requirement to include all diesel powered coaches.

The Thor Diesel Club is an International chapter for the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) and it is run by its members. Thor holds no office in the club however it does provide some sponsorship and support our rallies with technical speakers.

As you can see the TDC is a young organization and they are still trying to get their feet on the ground that is why they did not want to include all Thor coaches at this time.

Any group of like minded people can form a club under FMCA and if it is big enough then maybe they could get some sponsorship from some vendor like Thor. It is not the other way around.

At the expense of repeating myself…Thor Industries did not start the Thor Diesel Club all they do is provide sponsorship to a club that was already operating.

If you care to read the history of the MTC/TDC please follow the link below;
http://www.thordieselclub.org/TDC_PDF/Thor_Diesel_Club_History.pdf
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Voted...look forward to participating either way.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The question shouldn't be "Do you have a gas or diesel MH?" It should be do you have a Thor Motorhome. Do you enjoy traveling and camping in a unit MFG byThor?. The TDC has many members and has welcomed both Mandalay owners as well as the Current Thor diesel owners. Please note there is a BIG difference in the Chassis of a GAS vs Diesel unit. Difference in maintenance of the two units. So interest in units may vary a lot. Thor has been a terrific supporter of the TDC and from all appearances will continue to be a supporter. Safe travels...ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I voted for an inclusive THOR club as I believe that broader representation (gas and diesel) would provide enhanced opportunities for rallies and other "get togethers" as there would be more members from a wider spectrum across the country and regionally. I would think that THOR would be very supportive of this initiative and endorse the formation and implementation wholeheartedly. I would join either, however. Thanks for taking the lead.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Voted for all inclusive. I will be glad to help if you need someone in Texas.
ginny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #21

Voted for all inclusive, but would join either way. I like the idea of larger group for reasons stated above (more to participate in rallies).
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
ginny47, Thanks for your willingness to help out. Trust me, when we get this thing going I will be accepting all the help I can get. I've neber started a club, but hopefully with the package from FMCA we will be able to get it going. Thanks to all that have voted so far.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
That's never started a club, not neber.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Received the chapter start-up package from FMCA today. It looks like in order to start a chapter we first have to have a couple of meetings.rallies. I want to throw out an idea about getting a Thor Motorcoach Club going, then seeing if we want to get an FMCA chapter, ( which I think we may want to). I think once our poll is complete, we try to schedule a couple of regonial meetings/rallies. Probably late fall and early spring. This way some of us can meet and volunteer to do certain thing, meet the requirements of the FMCA should that be the way the group wants to go. I'm thinking maybe the fall meeting in the southeast, like Myrtle Beach area, and the early spring midwest, like Elkhart. If there are any other recommended locations please throw your two cents in. This process is probably going to take awhile, but I'm willing to try and make it a success. I've never done this, so baby steps will probably be appropriate. Thanks to all who show interest.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
Received the chapter start-up package from FMCA today. It looks like in order to start a chapter we first have to have a couple of meetings.rallies. I want to throw out an idea about getting a Thor Motorcoach Club going, then seeing if we want to get an FMCA chapter, ( which I think we may want to). I think once our poll is complete, we try to schedule a couple of regonial meetings/rallies. Probably late fall and early spring. This way some of us can meet and volunteer to do certain thing, meet the requirements of the FMCA should that be the way the group wants to go. I'm thinking maybe the fall meeting in the southeast, like Myrtle Beach area, and the early spring midwest, like Elkhart. If there are any other recommended locations please throw your two cents in. This process is probably going to take awhile, but I'm willing to try and make it a success. I've never done this, so baby steps will probably be appropriate. Thanks to all who show interest.
Sounds good about a get together (Rally) but I would suggest that you schedule it adjacent to some other large rally which could help with attendance to your rally. I also suggest selecting a date and venue early so people can get it on their calendars. This lack or organization/information is one of the reasons why I did not attend at least one other rally this year.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Jack,
I just threw out the idea of a meeting/rally to try and get prelims toward the FMCA chapter requirements. I had thought about trying to schedule one at the same time as another rally, such as the TDC rally in Myrtle Beach in April. As you know I'm just knicking this idea off, so it's not a lack of organiztion. I've never done this, but I have an idea on what to do. It will take time and I won't rush into anything. I truly appreciate people like you and ginny 47 who have offered their help. Trust me, although I'm new at trying to set this up, I feel confident that we can pull this off and learn as we go. Again thanks for your support.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #27

You may want to look over the FMCA regional rally calendar for 2014 and leverage off of that: http://www.fmca.com/chapters/area-rallies

May I also suggest seeing if there are those on the west coast who are interested and would like to see a location on our side of the US added for a meetup.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
You may want to look over the FMCA regional rally calendar for 2014 and leverage off of that: FMCA area rallies

May I also suggest seeing if there are those on the west coast who are interested and would like to see a location on our side of the US added for a meetup.
Good idea! We are headed to the FMCA Great Lakes Regional Rally today (Goshen, IN 18-22 Sept). My DW and I are volunteers along with other members of our local RV club, Tri-State Traveliers (Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky). I know that some groups has had pre and post rallies at some of the rallies we have attended.

Tags
gas, thor