Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Thor Hurricane 29M

OK, do not yet own a motorhome, but wife and I are beginning to explore what and how to buy. Starting today...
We went to Camping World and looked at several Thor Class A (Freedom and Hurricane) in the 27-31 foot range. Fell in love with layout and specs and features of the Hurricane 29M. Just the wife and I and 2 1-year old male cats that were once feral.
Looking for good/bad/indifferent experiences with this specific model, Thor in general and Camping World as a purchase and subsequent support company.
Anyone out there got some good info for us?
Many thanks,
Harv and Lois Harvey
Garfield AR
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #2

We have a Thor Ace 30.2 which is I believe the same size and chassis. We love ours. We bought it used last year and have had a good experience with it. Some will bash Thor but we plan to upgrade to another Thor product in a few years. If you love the layout and plan I’d say go fooor it. Just watch Camping World as they typically have added fees etc. also watch what extras that they throw into payment. I would not purchase a warranty. They only cover appliances typically and any coach issue or manufacturing issue won’t be covered. Typically appliances and furnace etc should have a warranty from the manufacturer.

I would go for it. Just watch what itemized charges you sign for with Camping world.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Thanks. I'm a little surprised at your comment about not getting an extended warranty. I have had a couple of folks tell me and have read many comments about expecting items needing fixing even on new models. So I assumed a 1-2 year extended warranty would be a good idea.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Buying Thor is fine, Camping World is not.

We bought a Thor Hurricane in 2012, it was a couple years old and we purchased from an independent dealer in Scottsdale Arizona. The buying experience was great and over the next three years we had no problems with the Hurricane and loved the R.V. We had never owned an R.V., always backpacking and tents for 40 years, so we thought a class A motor home was heaven for the ease of traveling the country 3 months at a time, 6 months a year.
After a little R.V. experience under our belt we decided on up grading to a Thor Challenger 35 Ht because my wife liked the floor plan better. This one we ordered new from Camping World of Mesa, Arizona. The buying experience from them was a nightmare, trying to sneak in a dozen extra costs and add on's we didn't ask for that amounted to several thousand dollars. We had a few minor problems with Coach after the purchase that we returned the Coach for warranty service. Again a total nightmare, after 5 months I went back to Camping World of Mesa, Arizona, and picked the unit up(without the warranty work being done). I brought the Motor Home home and did the repairs myself after watching a few YouTube videos and ordering some parts from the internet.
So, we have enjoyed the Thor products. Although not problem free, I think they are consistent with other products I've seen on the market and from the many dozens of people I have talked with across the country about their Units. And, of course, I wouldn't go into Camping World to spend another dime, I have learned the Camping World business model is based on large volume through cut rate deals then stick you with add-on costs with no expectations of repeat business.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #5

And one more thing,

I agree with OhioMike on the extended warranty issue. They are expensive and generally don't cover much of what could go bad in your R.V. Most of the things that are going to go wrong are generally self-induced (if you are anything like me) and/or they are things you can easily fix yourself if you take the time to do a little research and read the directions. R.V.ing isn't a complicated hobby, but we found there is a learning curve at the beginning when you don't have any experience with the various systems you need to know how to operate for a trouble free camping experience (if you can call it camping). But when it's all said and done, we have loved every minute of it, traveled coast to coast 6 times and a thousand points in between. When we are old I'm sure we wont travel in that big motor home, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Well, I will certainly be very wary of CW, at least for a place to buy. Might have to travel a ways to get one eventually, but not an issue.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

In November 2017 we bought a 29M Hurricane, NEW at CW...Bought the extended warranty, the coatings protection, gap insurance financed all we could, kept it 2 years, put about 8000 miles on it. CW was OK to deal with, but swore I would never go back there!

My buddy bought a 29M Windsport (at a different CW) paid cash, and bought NO extras...

We've traveled all over Florida and East Coast Georgia, neither of us had ever even driven a motor home! Figured well, we're retired let us proceed! On mine the entry door was warped, the turn signals and blinkers didn't work, after about 4 months I took it to an independent dealer, had the roof inspected it needed sealing and treatment, oil change grease etc., I contacted THOR they told me the independent dealer was on their approved list of warranty repair so I got my door replaced with new door, my buddy and I fixed the turn signals (Blinker Relay-FORD). Only bad I had was the 29M was not wired for a 2nd A/C and having one just don't cut it...
My buddy's Windsport had very little trouble, heater hose was loose, FORD fixed it but he had to pay and had a heck of time getting the $150 back from CW, over all we have both fared very good!
In November 2018 I spotted a 35M at a CW in Florida, WOW what difference, two A/C's better upholstery, nicer Radio, more storage, 37 ft long, bath and a half, still F53 Chassis. Called the same CW I bought from for pricing and as usual they tried to add the whole works! The end result I traded in my 2 year old 29M in, they allowed me (on paper, now) $110,000 trade in, now we're in a 2019 35M, No extended Warranty, NO coating protection $100 more a month...7 1/2 MPG, insurance DOUBLED it's a 22,000 LB Chassis...We bought a little SUV Cadillac, added the base plates and Blue Ox Tow Bar & tow it 4 wheel down. and could not be happier! I'll keep it 2 or 3 years and sell it, better resale, longer-2 A/C's, it's heavier so the wind and truck "fly by's" aren't as bad Bigger Onan
Be prepared If you buy 29M, and let's say for $100,000, comes time to sell it, you won't get but $80,000 when you drive it off the lot, and might be less than that...I say I am "happier" that is because I did not buy a big diesel coach, I am not in it "overboard", still got my SAVINGS , oil change is about $100 and takes about 3 hours, and THOR is taking care of my warranty items for the 1st year...Good Luck to ya, Camping Is Wonderful!
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #8

Purchased a new hurricane 29 M from camping world of Tampa, a real mistake, they are very friendly and helpful until you pay for it. Then they don’t want to know you. I did not receive land line power cord was told I could purchase one in store. Called Thor they immediately sent one out. New rig had no hot water on our first trip. Many phone calls to customer support could not fix, cut the trip short took the rig to cow of fort myers, they said they fixed it, but could not fix other list of thing wrong without Thor authorization, only been 2 weeks and still waiting.in the mean time it has to go to Ford for chassis warranty work.the service manger at Tampa Aaron Owens stated the problem was they are selling so many units he is sorry that the problems slipped by. They are delivering 15-20 units a day. He only called me because of all the complains to corporate. Had my new RV for over a month used it 2 days, that’s a lot of money sitting in repair shops.
I had another Thor Ace never a problem , my wife wanted the new one because of the bed , which now she realized we need a stool to get in. Overall we like the product not so sure about the dealer.
Seaspys02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Hmmmm...
I live in NW Arkansas and have a Camping World within 25 miles. Small inventory, but have a couple Thor on our "like" list. Next nearest is in Tulsa, OK, about 2 hours away and they have Winnebago also.
Doesn't sound like I want to buy from CW...don't need extra costs and lack of post-purchase support.
Not sure where else to go that is not a really long day drive that would have a large selection of Thor, Winnebago, Forest River, etc. But really want to see lots of choices to help with determining what Make and Models we want to narrow down to and focus. Best upcoming show/expo for us is in Tulsa in July. Right in the middle of the season...hmmm.
The Thor Hurricane is top of our list right now due to floor plan, features (outdoor kitchen, digital control center, large view screen in drive compartment, etc.), and price, although it's at the upper limit of our affordability.
At least we have plenty of time to explore models, gather data, figure out what we really want/like and gather info from all you great folk on these forums!
Thanks for your comments!
Harv
Old 03-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
If you like the Hurricane 29M, look at the Entegra Vision 29S. Jayco is the big name behind it. Floor plan is the same with some differences that I found to be important. This is Entegra's first year with this size of Class A and their base price reflects an introductory offer. Entegra makes some fine large coaches and some of that experience is shown here as there are some high end features. The bed is a queen, but the shower is larger. There is a real pantry.

As for CW, I have had both good and bad experiences. They are close to the house, so retail purchases work out for me. They did an install for my satellite and the technician did a wonderful job.....but the desk had a lot of extra charges on the bill that I had to elevate to the local manager to get removed.

I did buy an extended warranty when I got the coach from a different dealer. For me, the nickels seem to work, but that may not be the case for everyone. Do the math and go with what seems best for you.

Congrats on the future buy and hope to see you out there soon!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #11

Hello from MandMCampers! We just bought a 2019 29M Windsport from CW. So far our experience has been great. Took her out on the road last week. Great camping experience. We will be taking her in for a few repairs. I will post later about the service.
MandMCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
OK, do not yet own a motorhome, but wife and I are beginning to explore what and how to buy. Starting today...
We went to Camping World and looked at several Thor Class A (Freedom and Hurricane) in the 27-31 foot range. Fell in love with layout and specs and features of the Hurricane 29M. Just the wife and I and 2 1-year old male cats that were once feral.
Looking for good/bad/indifferent experiences with this specific model, Thor in general and Camping World as a purchase and subsequent support company.
Anyone out there got some good info for us?
Many thanks,
Harv and Lois Harvey
Garfield AR
About everything you want to know about the 29M If you plan to read the thread give yourself several days. Over 4000 post in the thread.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...mods-4609.html
Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, thor