Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #57

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The top is 3/8" ply with a vinyl sticker like you would do to a dash. Peal and stick on if I recall. The whole think is wood and held in place with four screws. All the electrical and air can be disconnected if I need to remove for some reason.

The front, near the dash is open while the side near my left leg is 1/8" plastic sheet. The off white vinyl material I found at the local fabric shop. Want to match the dash as best I could. The gages and switches are mounted in a 1/4" plastic sheet I can remove if necessary.

Other than the wood, plastic and hardware I pretty much everything I found on Amazon. Here's the film I used for the top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you plan to make something a few recommendations.

1. I highly recommend not curving the end closest to the dash as I did. Really complicated everything.
2. Don't install the top until after covering. Tuck the vinyl under the top and screw the top on from underneath.
3. Watch the height. You want to avoid covering the builders stickers on the sidewall.
4. Use high wattage 12VDC to 5VDC power supplies rather than 12VDC outlets and USB adaptors. I'm having problems powering the tablet and a dash camera at the same time. The tablet is OK but I can't get enough watts to the dash cam to keep the batteries peaked and the camera powered up. Something like this with 15 watts per USB plug. If what you use is listed at 15W but has two plugs the power is split or 7.5W per plug.
https://www.amazon.com/GEREE-Convert...VJK4GCTK416553
5. Test fit the location for a cup holder before you cut the hole. Mine is a touch to far behind my elbow but generally OK. Considering I don't play very much with the airbags while going down the road I could have mounted all that stuff a bit further back and move my cup holder up.
6. If you wood working skills are up to it including something like a map book or other type of stuff holder in the bottom half would be useful. Probably be my winter project to remake it and one for the passenger side.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Other than the wood, plastic and hardware I pretty much everything I found on Amazon. Here's the film I used for the top.

Thank you for helping to secure my pension payments by buying this film (I am a retired 3Mer) Did you need to use a primer to keep it sticking to the wood?

I still don't understand how you fastened the top to the wall and if you installed some kind of legs to hold the top up.
Where did you source the industrial type switches, and who sells these type of cup holders?
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Thank you for helping to secure my pension payments by buying this film (I am a retired 3Mer) Did you need to use a primer to keep it sticking to the wood?

I still don't understand how you fastened the top to the wall and if you installed some kind of legs to hold the top up.
Where did you source the industrial type switches, and who sells these type of cup holders?
Used the associated 3M primer. I would recommend using sold wood rather than ply if you plan to use a sticker. Popular would be a good choice considering the light grain. Even after sanding with 400 grit paper still had imperfections in the top layer that show thru the striker. Couldn't find a 100% match to the dash but somewhat close.

Top and bottom of are duplicate shapes. The back side (opposite of the seat) and far end are 3/8" ply with 3/4" quarter round in the corners. The front side (next to my left leg) has a few stringers from the base to the top for basic structural strength. It's basically a box. Four 3/4" screws hold the backside to the coach sidewall so I can pull it and return the coach to original condition with minimal evidence it ever existed. I also added a 120VAC outlet on the side towards the living are.

Cup hold I re-purposed when I replaced the dinette table and the switches I found on Amazon. For switch labels I used a label maker with clear 1/4" tape. If you pull a switch front the dash you can google the numbers and you'll find there are 100's of combinations available. Here's just one example of a switch -

I had to mount all the switches and air gauges in 1/4" plastic so they would lock into place. The 3/8" ply was too thick and didn't want to take the time to router it out. Plastic was easier to work with when cutting all the switch locations. Probably could have used model airplane ply. Being able to pull the plastic plate makes getting to the underside of the panel much easier. Originally the four switches controller eight solenoids for the bag air. Had a lot of problems with low cost solenoids leaking so I pulled all that out and used paddle switches to directly control bad air.

W have plans to camp later today thru Monday and I don't want to disturber anything in the coach at the moment so later next week I'll pull the drivers seat and get some additional pics. Plus I have a 5VDC USB power supply I need to install for the dash cam.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got bored this morning. How many times can one watch some local weather guesser standing on a beach in 40+ knot winds with an inside out umbrella to know a hurricane is passing by?

Took some pics with the seat removed and the cover off so you can see the internals. Used to be a lot more air piping and eight solenoids inside.

https://goo.gl/photos/E13hR587xNbJqn3z9
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did a few electrical mods that have worked out well. Added an inverter under the bed that powers the front outlets. DC power from the same lines the converter feeds. Tapped into the romax coming out of the breaker box and add a male and female plugs. When I want to use the inverter I just unplug from the breaker panel and plug into the inverter. I did have to rewire power to fridge on a dedicated breaker since it was on the same circuit. Kept overloading the inverter. I could just switching the fridge from auto to gas but I know I'll forget to switch it back. Powers the outlet under the dinette (and the extra I added by the entry door), outlet by the passengers front seat, the TV outlets and the new outlet I added in the driver's side arm rest.

Also added a vent to help with air circulation to keep the heat down. The cover that you normally see when you lift the bed is held in place with a couple of velcro squares rather than screws or pin nails.

Also added current transformers and AC current meters so I can watch my power demand. Helps when on 30 amps.

https://goo.gl/photos/kCLGMMhLfDjjwgQA8
Old 09-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo800 View Post
20. Added sewer hose storage under RV
Do you have any pictures for this mod, and an explanation how you did it?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I followed up on a specific brand, and they told me that any brand of stainless steel extensions will do. And again, they discouraged the use of the braided, flexible extensions.
To update what I did. I installed the CrossFire system. I got the unit with two ports on each side to be able to connect two each TMPS sensors.
I got the TST system with non flow through sensors.

From now on I will never have to crawl under the coach (I hope) to check the air pressure of the rear tires!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #64

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thought I would add my latest

My Arm Rest Console is my latest project. for pictures and details use the following Link
Mel
Click Here

I had been wanting to solve 3 minor problems in my 2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D. First was the controls for my Leveling system. The controls were way down on the left drivers side wall just below the dash. Hard to reach and hard to see. The second problem was no drink or coffee cup holder on the drivers side wall. Yes there was a drink and coffee cup holder on the hump, but it was hard to reach and you had to take your eyes off of the road. The next problem was A place to mount my TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) First step was to move the control board up to where it was easier to reach. It was a simple matter to drill out the rivets that held it to the wall and move it into a better position.

I filled in the holes below where I drilled out the old rivets. Next I needed a place to put my TPMS and other electronics (Cell Phone) and charger. So I started to construct a armrest on the Drivers side wall to hold various Items and my Coffee cup or water bottle while driving. I made my arm rest out of pine and stained it a dark brown, and 3 coats of Clear High Gloss spray paint.

I added a piece of lexsan Glass to the wood arm rest, so that I will have a smooth surface for any of my various suction cup mounts. I used corner brackets to fasten it to the wall using pop rivets and wood screws. I also fashioned a piece to go between the dash and the Leveler control, and affixed a piece of lexsan Glass to the top of it. and used the suction cup stand to install my TPMS.

I ordered a Flush mounted cup holder from a boat company and as soon as it gets here I will drill a hole towards the rear of the arm rest and install it. The exposed wires will be covered with a cream colored vinyl sleeve. Just below and to the right of the level controller I added a 12V receptacle with 2 USB Ports. This way I can plug in my TPMS and plug my Cell Phone in one of the USB Ports.

I added a Log book and Map Holder below the arm rest console. Here is A updated picture of the final result. I just have to make a Cream Colored Vinyl Sleeve for the wires and add the cup holder when it gets here. Then I will be finished with this project.

Click Here for Pictures and details
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of us Hurricane owners seem to have similar ideas how to solve the missing drivers side armrest situation.
I did it this way, but plan to modify it more to get it similar looking to Sweetbriar did.
The difference will be that I have quite a number of oak boards laying around (from my own trees) and I will use those to get the look as close to the cabinets as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160906_170907[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	139102  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #66

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have had a hectic last few months (getting ready to retire next week) and haven't on the forum. I will take some photos today and post
kenbo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And here comes another Hurricane modification question.
My several years absence from the forum was due to some rather involved back surgery and slow recuperation (one just will not heal as fast if one is a little older - the advantage on the other side is a handicapped parking placard).

Getting into the motorhome seems to be getting a little harder now. I have an exterior grab handle and a nice handrail in the left inside along the fridge. It would be great to have another handrail on the right side along the side of the couch. I currently hold onto the side of the couch as good as possible to get in, a handrail would make the entire process much easier.
Has anybody ever installed a handrail in the inside on the right side, and if so, what type of rail (link to the source), and can you post a few pictures of that installation?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #68

Quote:
The sewer hose holder is just a PVC 4" pipe with an end cap on it. I strapped it to the frame with large band clamp and a couple zip ties
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	139296  
kenbo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo800 View Post
The sewer hose holder is just a PVC 4" pipe with an end cap on it. I strapped it to the frame with large band clamp and a couple zip ties
I would have to see, if I could install such a tube across, because my hula skirt makes a rear installation a little bit more uncomfortable
Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
During my recent trip I started to dislike the currently installed cheap Thedford plastic toilet stool more and more. It is way to low to the floor, the bowl is rather small, etc.
I would like to install one of the higher, bigger and partly china toilet instead.
What have you installed in your coach? Any recommendation about less good or for preferred toilet stools?

Tags
cat, hurricane, repair, repairs, thor