RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Thor Hurricane.....please help!

I just purchased a 2011 Thor Hurricane. Has two a/c units. On our first road trip, generator keeps throwing the a/c breaker on the generator with the front a/c unit going. Doesn't throw the breaker with the back a/c unit going or anything else going. What should I check? Help! I'm a rookie rv'er! :-)

Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #2

Easy first step is to try the same thing when on shore power.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Sorry your here with problems , as stated checking out the A/C operation on shore power would be the first step.
If the front A/C kicks out the RV circuit breaker, or trips the shore power , you've got internal problems with the A/C unit.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my hurricane, one of my generator breakers will trip if I use the electric water heater and the rear AC at the same time. I can use the propane water heater and the rear AC with no problems. On shore power, I can use both at the same time.

FYI- if you have 50 amp service, you have 2 - 120 volt lines wired in your RV. The manufacture tries to balance the load on each line and puts high load items (like AC,s) on separate lines. Your circuit breaker panel is manufactered so that the circuit breakers are wired L1,L2,L1,L2,L1,L2..... So look at your panel and ever other breaker is on the same line as your front AC, any high load items? turn off the every other breaker from the front AC breaker and see if it still trips.

You could have a weak breaker, measure the current through the line with an amp meter.

FYI --My Onan 5500 Generator has 2 breakers, one is 30 amp and one is 20 amp. My 20 amp is the one that trips with both the rear AC and the electric water heater are on.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

On shore.....

On shore power, everything works fine. When it is operating off the generator, it trips the a/c breaker that is on the generator. What seems strange to me is that it works fine with the back a/c unit on. Just trips it with the front one.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Thank you!

Thanks guys for all the posts! I do appreciate it. On shore everything is fine. It is frustrating because the problem doesn't have consistency either. The one common denominator is that it seems to trip the breaker on the generator (the 20 amp one) when the front a/c unit is on and I'm going down the road. Last night I sat in my driveway, fired up the generator, turned on the front a/c, water pump, lights, and microwave and she didn't miss a lick. I just don't get it. Everybody's suggestions give me some ideas though. mgscott - your post about your Thor sounds very similar to mine. My question would be - is this normal for the breaker to trip when your back a/c and water heater is on? Is this something I just have to live with or can it be fixed? I think I had my water pump on with the front a/c the first time it tripped. But, later on the road I turned off everything but the front a/c and it still tripped.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Intermittent electrical issue.. Problem could be with the start up amps required by the front A/C compressor . How large is your gen set?
20 amp C/B feeding a 50 amp coach , sounds marginal.
I have seen , in other posts , members changing out a start up component in the A/C units. I'll try and track one down.

Edit: Top of the page , under the campground photo, the " More " drop box for " Files " look for service manuals for your A/C model.
In " RV Forums " RV systems and Appliances , "use search this forum" for .
" Roof AC start capacitor question " & " Roof air questions "
could be some help in one of those threads.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Is your refrigerator 120 v on the same 20 amp breaker as the A/C when on generator power? Converter/charger? 20 amps is marginal to run A/C with any other loads on that circuit. Check and see which leg of your breaker panel that 20 amp leg from your generator is feeding.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

Ok folks, this is gonna get weird, but true. I promise! I am narrowing down the problem (without any success I might add). The 20 amp A/C circuit breaker on the generator (which is a Cummins Onan RV QG 5500) will trip if the front A/C unit is on and we are traveling down the road. I can sit in my driveway with the generator running and operate the front A/C unit or anything else for as long as I want with no problems. I have no problems with the A/C units or anything else when I hook up to shore power. I can operate the back A/C unit off of the generator traveling down the road with no problem.
But, turn on the front A/C unit (alone by itself with nothing else on) with the generator running and travel down the road and the 20 amp A/C circuit breaker on the generator will trip every time!
The generator has two A/C circuit breakers on it - a 20 amp and a 30 amp. But, the 20 amp is the one that will trip and only if the front A/C is on and we are moving down the road. I will figure this out!
I tried to attach a pic of the two A/C circuit breakers (20 amp and 30 amp) on the side of the generator. Not sure if I was successful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	64004  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to live with my problem. Because I know that my AC draws 15 amps and my electric hot water heater draws 9 amps. Together, they will trip the 20 amp breaker on the generator. I just use my propane for hot water when I run the generator. No problem.

You need to measure your current draw through that breaker to know for sure what is going on. I agree with the others, it could your Air conditioner surge current on start-up, that is exceeding the 20 amp limit. A $20 capacitor can fix that.

It could be the AC and the refrigerator on electric together that is exceeding the 20 amp breaker. Use your refriderator on propane while on generator.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #11

Sounds like a good plan. But, my refrigerator will only operate off of propane if the generator is not running. In other words, when I turn my refrigerator to the "on" switch, it will operate off of on shore if plugged in....if not, it will operate off of generator if running....if not, then, and only then, will it operate off of propane.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

does the breaker trip instantly when in drive or does it take awhile before the 20amp breaker trips?

Is that breaker or wire near anything that is hot (like an exhaust manifold)? Is the breaker itself hot? Is the rear AC on the same line as the the 20amp breaker...

does the 2 AC units have its own separate breaker? do you know where the 20amp and 30amp breaker on the generator terminates to on the distributed breaker panel? What other circuit is on that 20amp circuit besides the front AC?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #13

The circuit doesn't break instantly, but takes about 10 minutes of driving before it breaks. What is so confusing is that I can sit still in my driveway and run everything off the generator (including the a/c) with no problems.
As far as other circuits on that 20 amp circuit breaker, that breaker will trip if I have only the front a/c on and I am traveling down the road. Sitting still I have no problem.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Circuit breakers can wear out or malfunction. That would probably be the next cheap step to take. Replace the CB and see if it behaves. Of course don't be tempted to increase the rating of the CB.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, thor