Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #43

This probably doesn't belong in this forum but here it is just the same. I don't understand why everyone is down on THOR. I've bough my 2015 Class A (gas) Challenger 37ND in Jan 2015. Sure I've had some warranty issues (Jensen radio) which it took CW 3 months to fix because I didn't buy from them. However when I got my mh back and giving it the once over before I left them, I found my bathroom door would not close (like the door is warped/bent) and the shower door would not open. CW basically said "duh how did that happen"? We'll have to take the whole wall down to repair it. It wont be done by them, no way! So I'm taking it back to the dealer I bought it from for repairs. A four hundred mile drive instead of two hundred but it will be worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #44

Thor Lemon Law Buy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
CONGRATS

A swap to a 3Trax was previously reported by owners as not possible...obviously erroneous info.

Thanks SO much for the specific results report and best luck.

Safe travels

Not too sure about whatever "erroneous " information you are referring to but in my case it was different than that.

I sent an e-mail to Thor asking specifically for the third rail system to be added to my coach. My offer to Thor was that I would pay for it and they would install it.

I received and e-mail back from Mark Stanley at Thor telling me that the third rail was NOT the proper fix for all these large slides. So in my opinion if there any erroneous information it might just be coming from Thor themselves.

I personally have talked to three individuals that have received the 3 rails on their coaches after I was told that was NOT a proper fix??

Now in my opinion The only proper or close to proper fix for this large slide is to completely take the slide box out and make it "square" returning it with new stronger slide system. If the slide box is NOT made to be "square" then a 3 track system will in my opinion last much longer.

If like in my case the box was out of square--no amount of slides rails will let this thing work for any length of time.

Now all the above being said Thor has made me just like Phil Robinson now. HAPPY-HAPPY-HAPPY

Thor sold me what I consider Junk and then continued to patch it with short term fixes -thus driving me to another brand.

In 10 months with my new coach I have ONE issue. My oven cover (the removable cover) has a crack in it. Maybe $50 if I bought a new one.
In the original PDI at dealer I had a few minor issues. Fixed that day.

So my suggestion to fix the Thor issues --"trade it". Never waste any more $$ and Time with Thor.

And to RobbieH. Good luck with the fix. I for sure would not wish anyone any bad luck.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
I'm with you, RKNOLA, it took the fun out of it for us, and we were tired of going back to the dealer as well (3 hour round trip). But if this latest round of repairs do not work, we will follow through on the lemon law claim we have registered.

The three track system was not a big deal for them to install. And there's more to the upgrade than just three tracks.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #46

Quote:
CONGRATS

A swap to a 3Trax was previously reported by owners as not possible...obviously erroneous info.

Thanks SO much for the specific results report and best luck.

Safe travels
The "erroneous" information on the 3rd rail system not being retrofittable on the 2013 Palazzo came directly from Adam Grudger and Mark Stanley at the Myrtle Beach TMC rally in May 2014. Thor said it then, but now to be used as a fix it is suddenly possible. SO, either Thor just stuck it on there hoping it would shut the owner up OR it was put on there when it wasn't supposed to be so it will NOT work long term. Now which is it?? You will have to ask THOR.
And yes I have a copy of the email sent from Mark Stanley at Thor saying that the 3 rail system was not designed to be used on the large slide so it probably won't be a long term fix. I can provide a copy of the email to anyone that doubts this information.
AND if the slide box isn't square (which ours isn't) how do you think an extra rail (which by the way is held on with double sided tape) is going to make the slide work better??? If the box isn't square those motors are not designed to keep the box straight! The motors are there to pull the slide box in only, not realign it. That is why when the slide fails the box comes in crooked and the motors bind up and get out of snyc!!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #47

The TDC (Thor Diesel Club) not the TMC as I wrote in my previous post.
And SEVERAL other TDC members were standing in the room when the "can't be retrofitted" comment was made. In fact, some of them are even on IRV2.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I have posted before, my sympathies to those who have had Schwintek slide drive issues.

If our RV had the Schwintek system (which all of our Brand/Models now have), and the twin track failed for any reason that appeared to be excess weight or load on the drive, I would have asked for an upgrade to the 3Trax as soon as it came out in other TMC models. It is sad that anyone was told no.

Well, we now see that TMC has decided to convert older models to 3Trax, (which appears to have improved shafts and tracks) so would it not be wise to ask again?

"The only thing that is constant, is change." Heraclitus
And
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease." American Idiom

This sadly is not only a TMC issue...take a gander at the Winnie forum and others on iRV2...the twin track system is the source of many failures among many brands. At least there is a possible fix.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Get the VIN#. Run a CarFAX report on it. CarFAX will show if is a Lemon Law Buy Back.

If it shows it today, it will show it years from now, and that will effect resell.
There is NO requirement that anything be reported to CarFax, it's purely a service that sells the info and their "warranty" only refunds the cost of the report if you depend on the report and it's wrong.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #50

Quote:
As I have posted before, my sympathies to those who have had Schwintek slide drive issues.

If our RV had the Schwintek system (which all of our Brand/Models now have), and the twin track failed for any reason that appeared to be excess weight or load on the drive, I would have asked for an upgrade to the 3Trax as soon as it came out in other TMC models. It is sad that anyone was told no.

Well, we now see that TMC has decided to convert older models to 3Trax, (which appears to have improved shafts and tracks) so would it not be wise to ask again?

"The only thing that is constant, is change." Heraclitus
And
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease." American Idiom

This sadly is not only a TMC issue...take a gander at the Winnie forum and others on iRV2...the twin track system is the source of many failures among many brands. At least there is a possible fix.

Safe travels
Very true so that is why not only will we NOT consider another Thor product, we are trying to avoid anything with Swintek slides.
As far as inproved shafts and tracks, we had that on the second to last slide repair (#3). Obviously that didn't help either! It all goes back to: the slide box was not built square. The money Thor spent on advertising the "new 3 trax system" they probably could have used that money better on proper training of their factory workers. The history of broken off screw heads and out of square slide boxes just shows me that making money is more important to Thor than making well built RVs.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Our rails are not held on by double sided tape. I watched the technician do the work, all the changes were held on by screws and/or rivets - I'm talking about everything he touched, not just the rails.

It could be that your coach cannot be retrofitted, but our Four Winds could be.

They said the major improvement is increased stability during the time the slide is being operated, mainly ensuring stability from rocking at the top of the slide. This is supposed to keep the top and bottom moving out at exactly the same time, therefore reducing the chances of anything getting out of sync or bound up.

My mother has sold a vehicle back on lemon law before. After it was complete, she contacted Carfax, and they stated that any vehicle bought back on lemon law should show as such on their reports. At least in Texas, any vehicle purchased back on lemon law must have this reported.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Our rails are not held on by double sided tape. I watched the technician do the work, all the changes were held on by screws and/or rivets - I'm talking about everything he touched, not just the rails.

It could be that your coach cannot be retrofitted, but our Four Winds could be.

They said the major improvement is increased stability during the time the slide is being operated, mainly ensuring stability from rocking at the top of the slide. This is supposed to keep the top and bottom moving out at exactly the same time, therefore reducing the chances of anything getting out of sync or bound up.

My mother has sold a vehicle back on lemon law before. After it was complete, she contacted Carfax, and they stated that any vehicle bought back on lemon law should show as such on their reports. At least in Texas, any vehicle purchased back on lemon law must have this reported.
I asked Mark Stanley why our coach could suddenly be retrofitted when we were told in 2014 that it couldn't be. His answer "we may have different technology now". Not sure what that means but ok.
Also our tracks have been replaced so many times I am sure the sides of that slide can only take so many new screw holes. Sooner or later the area under the slide tracks is going to look like swiss cheese.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #53

RKNOLA, I would love a copy of that email from Mark Stanley. I have a 2015 Palazzo with the long slide in the shop for the 5th time since August, 2014. I have Sent you a private message. Thanks.
Rhbrma1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I asked Mark Stanley why our coach could suddenly be retrofitted when we were told in 2014 that it couldn't be. His answer "we may have different technology now". Not sure what that means but ok.
Also our tracks have been replaced so many times I am sure the sides of that slide can only take so many new screw holes. Sooner or later the area under the slide tracks is going to look like swiss cheese.
Karen, Pine Mtn Rally rumor has it that Thor retrofitted your problem slide with the triple track system? If so, how is it working?

Thanks!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #55

Yes it was retrofitted by Thor at a dealership. We haven't used it yet so I can't really tell you how it is working.
The exhaust fumes inside the coach while driving are still really bad so we haven't used the coach. No coach is worth dying over! And since I am a 2 time Cancer survivor and Rick has had open heart surgery 2 times, we don't feel like using the coach is good for our health with all those exhaust fumes inside the coach.
I am glad y'all had a good time at Pine Mtn. I hope you are enjoying your Tuscany. That 40GQ is a beautiful coach! Congrats!
Karen
Old 06-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #56

your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhbrma1960 View Post
RKNOLA, I would love a copy of that email from Mark Stanley. I have a 2015 Palazzo with the long slide in the shop for the 5th time since August, 2014. I have Sent you a private message. Thanks.
Yes, I rec'd your PM. I sent you an email. Good Luck.
Karen

Tags
thor