RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Thor Majestic 28a from Cruise America

My account has sat stagnant for a few years and I'm still into my fifth wheel but I've been trying to help my friend out with purchasing a class c motorhome and he found the craigslist ad for Cruise America in Manassas that sells their old rentals. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or any problems.

Looks about 30k in price but from the reading is that these are specifically made for the rental place. No awning, tv etc... I also picked up on the grey and black tanks being only 22 gallons and a few other things where quality may have lacked. Overall the deal seems decent but I'd hate to see him overspend.

Any input is appreciated!

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

Here is the link to the craigslist sales ad:

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/rvd/d/manassas-rv-thor-majestic-motor-home/6795581678.html

Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering the listing isn't for one specific coach you really need to take the time and drive down to look at what they are selling. Any used coach needs to be judged individually. With consideration that these are former rentals don't expect a lot of bells, whistles or bling. These will be basic rigs that someone who has limited to no experience can use with 30 minutes of orientation and a 1-800 phone number if they have questions while on the road. No awning, no slides, no steps (which is normal for a class c), good possibility no leveling system. Expect smaller tanks, one 12VDC battery and such. These are rigs a family of four in the mid Atlantic area can pack up and head out to Fort Wilderness, Myrtle Beach, Niagara Falls, Green Mountains or Pigeon Forge for a vacation parked in a full service campsite while exploring the area.

Take a day or two off work and drive down for the a long weekend to look. While your in the area go see DC and make a weekend of it.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

Good stuff. I didn't even consider the leveling system. I've been trying to look at other avenues and craigslist on used units because the other problem is there's really no basis for comparison because these specific units never sell brand new.
I've been trying to get him to hold off a little and keep looking to see if something better pops up.

I don't think he's opposed to the ease of use because of being new to rvs but overspending for plain jane features is a problem imo... these motorhomes have less overall features than my outdated 2004 jayco fifthwheel and he's looking at a 2014 model
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #5

I too considered a used rental. Started searching around locally and found a 5 year old Thor Freedom Elite 28z E 450 with 16k 1 slide with topper and 14’ awning. Paid less for it and a 5 year warranty than what your friend is looking at.
These were made for CW so lacked a few things, levers being the main one
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

He drove down early this morning to look and called me on the way back. They don't install any of the upgrades at their place so he would have to go elsewhere for that. I had to let him know that I felt they were probably 8k high in price for the baseline products included.

Another thing that he mentioned that was strange to me is the 2 additional warranties. One for the truck part and one for the camper part where he's paying a lot extra and it's supposed to be a full service warranty. Although since I had one of those in the past I was sold on the full service part but then when I needed to use it, I got stuck on labor rates.

All this rv shopping for my buddy is making me want a new one, lol
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
He drove down early this morning to look and called me on the way back. They don't install any of the upgrades at their place so he would have to go elsewhere for that. I had to let him know that I felt they were probably 8k high in price for the baseline products included.

Another thing that he mentioned that was strange to me is the 2 additional warranties. One for the truck part and one for the camper part where he's paying a lot extra and it's supposed to be a full service warranty. Although since I had one of those in the past I was sold on the full service part but then when I needed to use it, I got stuck on labor rates.

All this rv shopping for my buddy is making me want a new one, lol
Hi, I work at the Cruise America in Manassas and want to give you the full rundown on the warranties. They are $1695 and $1977 each for the truck and the camper parts, respectively. The truck warranty covers it for 5 years/100000 miles. A lot of customers do find value in the truck warranty because it serves as additional peace of mind although these are Ford Triton engines with a long record of dependability.

For what you get in terms of a late model year RV, we really don't have any competition in terms of price. There are shops close by that we can recommend if you'd like to customize your RV in any way. Also, we do pride ourselves on taking great care of customers that do purchase an RV from us, because we are the largest RV rental company in North America and have a reputation to protect.

I do appreciate seeing the comments and feedback and wish you luck in your RV search.
cruiserMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #8

Having owned one (Majestic) for about 18 months I can say that they are a great value for the buck. Have had very few problems with my 28A and CuriseAmerica has stood behind the RV they sold me. We have mad some really nice upgrades and have made it our own. We have looked at the Thor 31Y and wonder would we get the bang for the buck in owning a new RV. So far the answer is no.

yoyo877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor