RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Thor Motor Coach Quality

Good day everyone. I am close to purchasing a new 2016 Thor Motor Coach Venetian M37. Sticker at $330, purchase $199K. This is something I can afford, but is a considerable jump from my current 2001 Coachmen. It appears to be a tremendous value, and I like the 150 gallon fuel capacity, along with some other cool features. My trepidation, as I have signed nothing, is what is up with Thor? I get mixed signals on quality and have read about some apparent nightmares by consumers. Are they a reputable company? Do they stand behind their products? Also it appears that many motor coaches have a lot of issues initially? My dream is to drive off, keep it well maintained and stored, without chronic problems. Maybe that does not exist with the large diesel pushers, with slide outs...

Thank so much. All feedback welcome. Regards, Brock.

BrockJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJones View Post
Good day everyone. I am close to purchasing a new 2016 Thor Motor Coach Venetian M37. Sticker at $330, purchase $199K. This is something I can afford, but is a considerable jump from my current 2001 Coachmen. It appears to be a tremendous value, and I like the 150 gallon fuel capacity, along with some other cool features. My trepidation, as I have signed nothing, is what is up with Thor? I get mixed signals on quality and have read about some apparent nightmares by consumers. Are they a reputable company? Do they stand behind their products? Also it appears that many motor coaches have a lot of issues initially? My dream is to drive off, keep it well maintained and stored, without chronic problems. Maybe that does not exist with the large diesel pushers, with slide outs...

Thank so much. All feedback welcome. Regards, Brock.
We have a Thor Ace 29.3 (2016), not in the same class as yours but overall it is ok. We have had a number of small issues but so far most have been fixed by our dealer. We still have a number of small issues but our dealer has ordered the parts and likely it will be fixed in a week or three. Sounds like you are getting a great deal. Inspect, inspect, inspect before you take delivery. Try everything, every drawer, check for water leaks, flush the toilet...Unplug the cord and see how the coach batteries are working before you finish your inspection. If powered several hours they should be at 100%. DO NOT take delivery until all things are fixed. We wish you the best.

BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We had terrible experiences with our Thor Palazzo. The damn thing was in the shop more often and longer than we ever used it. The issues were all related to very poor craftsmanship and cheap crappy components, like the slide mechanism.

If I were in your shoes I would steer clear and look at similar priced units from Newmar or Tiffin.

We will never buy another Thor product again.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us in the forum.

As there is a Thor owners forum, in the blue bar at the top of the page. I would ask for opinions there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers and a lot of mixed opinions.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Thank you so much Carefree! I will be very careful. I am looking for quality and service, not just a price. Brock
Old 07-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
It's all relative to how much you want to spend. We just went to a show today and looked at all of the pushers, there was 1 Venetian there that we walked through. There are a handful of coaches that can be had for $200k, and in that price range they are all similar.

The Venetian was as good as any in that price range. MSRP is an irrelevant price, all RVs sell for less so don't use that to compare. Thor usually does offer you a great value for the money with some nice features.

As far as Thor standing behind it, it's all about the dealer who is doing the repairs. I would immediately scratch CW off of the list for both sales and service.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Thank you so much!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

Agaveguy- So who is "CW"?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Camping world aaahhhhhh! Run
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general, the Thor owners are not an overly happy bunch. Seems they have a lot of quality control issues.

We are full timers and host at some parks, so we do get to see a lot of different coaches and talk to owners.

Ken
Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #11

I may be an oddball looking for a bunkhouse in a class A but Thor sure does have some nice floor plans. Their website and overall shopping tools seem to be the best of the big manufacturers as well. I'm not to the buying stage yet but Thor is definitely in the running. Like the OP, I am a bit concerned about all the negative stories I've heard/read.

It's hard to tell if the problem with Thor is just that there are so many of them on the road or if they really do have a much higher instance of problems (quite possibly a combination).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head....LOTS of Thor products on the road (one of the biggest in the industry and growing steadily). There are definitely folks who've had problems, but also lots of us who are happy as clams. Read up on the Winnebago or Entegra sites for comparisons. Plenty of problems there as well. Best advice is to buy used from a happy owner who has maintained their coach and is moving up to something larger or newer from the same manufacturer.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #13

I like my coach, I would buy another, but as you should know by now, hardly anyone posts good comments, its usually only negative ones. Owning a motorhome requires lots of different things. The engine, transmission, generator, tires, and chassis require service on a ROUTINE basis, either done by or paid by you. Its a house going down the road at sixty plus miles an hour, the roof, slide, storage bay, and window gaskets/seals need checking. Do "bad" things happen? Yes they do, however if you are diligent these things can be greatly minimized. Some believe all you have to do is fuel it up and go without inspecting anything.
Is there a coach that lives up to all of this, I'm thinking probably not.
FMCA #F456868 NKK #23023
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
KC

I love my Thor Challenger, but with any large complex machine driving down our roads there are going to be some issues. To me having a great dealer is the key to owning any RV. Thing do break, I have had some issues but all have been fixed by the dealer no issue. Thor has been great to work with. Take it out for a drive, test everything. Good luck. If you like it, it meets your needs and priced right for you buy it.

KC

Tags
quality, thor, thor motor coach