Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor Outlaw

Does anyone have a Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler, And if so what do you think of the bed set up. your Thoughts please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

It works for our family - but I have my kid up there. You probably just need to climb up on one and see if it works for you. I am a large man, and I am comfortable up there, but I wouldn't want to have it be my personal bedroom.

If the bedroom doesn't work out, their are multiple ways you can have a functioning bedroom in the garage area as well.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

We looked at a toy hauler fifth wheel trailer once with the same over-the-garage bed setup. The dealer said they had one returned once by an 80 year old customer. He didn't like it because it the low roof up there made certain marital activities nearly impossible.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love Our Outlaw!

We have one and love it! The loft bedroom is wonderful and sets the Outlaw apart from all the other Toyhaulers out there (except the discontinued Bounty Hunter from Gulf Stream). It's always set-up for sleeping (not a double use space), doesn't use any valuable floorspace and, it's not a walk-through space with the traffic from any guests that might come along getting to/from the garage, potty, and main room.

My Mrs. and I are not small people and we have no problem getting in and out of the loft, just like a bed at home...standing on the stair, it's just 2-3 steps on hands and knees and you're in bed.

We don't sit in bed, so that was not a concern, but you can stack-up pillows and read a book or watch the loft TV with no problem and with no traffic.

We increased our loft bed to a California King and there's still room left head to tow. A king is NOT something you can easily add to most RV's without major renovation.

Go to this thread for LOTS more info:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

And feel free to post more questions - we love to talk about our rigs

If you really want a Class "A" Toyhauler and want to look around, there are options (2 being built currently and more on the used market). See this thread:
Class "A" Toyhaulers
Steve and Kim, '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
Mustang LCDR (Ret) - Sempre Paratus, Always Pirates
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
Does anyone have a Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler, And if so what do you think of the bed set up. your Thoughts please.
I'm a full timer in an Outlaw. The loft is great for traveling and entertaining overnight guests, and I have, in the past used it as the primary bed. I echo Steve's comments about the reasons.

But, mine has the optional queen size Murphy bed in the back so these days, when not traveling,I use it as the primary sleeping area.

Bottom line is that the loft was a principal reason I went with the Outlaw. You can't beat NOT having to climb over the bike on a rainy or snowy day just to go to sleep.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Darn. I should have said "accommodating" overnight guests!

Oops.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
gts

loft bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Darn. I should have said "accommodating" overnight guests!

Oops.
i did what Steve did added a cal king in the loft. The hardest thing was getting the mattress up there it works great, its private, and it keeps the kids out of my hair. I have bi-lateral knee replacements and getting up there is fine a couple of stairs and plop your down and out. I only wish the the A/C blew a little better.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all, new member here and interested in a Thor Outlaw after seeing one at my local dealer. Hope I am not thread jacking but I figured this was a good thread to ask some questions based on the heading.
First question is what are the differences between models starting in 2008-2013?
Second question is does buying a used model with a diesel motor help significantly with milage?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Hi all, new member here and interested in a Thor Outlaw after seeing one at my local dealer. Hope I am not thread jacking but I figured this was a good thread to ask some questions based on the heading.
First question is what are the differences between models starting in 2008-2013?
Second question is does buying a used model with a diesel motor help significantly with milage?
There has been no major changes to the floorplan...there is the discontinued 3808 that is VERY different and there was the 3612 with a full wall Murphy bed in the garage, but the most common 3611 model remains pretty much unchanged.

The grill/facia has changed, exterior TV was moved into a separate compartment, exterior radio was moved into the garage, an entertainment inverter was added and a TV replaced the cabinettes over the entry door, but that's about all they changed.

The very rare Front Engine Diesel (FRED) Outlaw should show higher MPG than the gas powered units, and will have a premium price, for the well known differences between gas and Diesel powered chassis.

I will pass on commenting anymore because I have no experience with the Freightliner/FRED. The most common Ford Triton V10 and the Workhorse W24 are very good chassis for the rig's size and weight...but there are obvious differences in day-to-day use and costs.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The very rare Front Engine Diesel (FRED) Outlaw should show higher MPG than the gas powered units, and will have a premium price, for the well known differences between gas and Diesel powered chassis.

I will pass on commenting anymore because I have no experience with the Freightliner/FRED. The most common Ford Triton V10 and the Workhorse W24 are very good chassis for the rig's size and weight...but there are obvious differences in day-to-day use and costs.
Let me add some opinions about the FRED. My experience has been that the milage has been less than my counterparts with reg fuel rigs. Having said that, I'm not the only FRED out there and others may do better. In at least two cases I get between 2-6 mpg less than a 3611 burning reg fuel.

Also, remember that THOR does not currently offer any diesel option. Nada. The V10 is the only option unless that's changed since I was at the factory in June.

And, unfortunately (IMHO) THOR no longer provides the 3612 model with the Murphy Bed. Call me weird but I think that was a mistake.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan and Steve thanks for the replies. I was wondering if it would be worth looking at used diesels, used in general or getting looking towards one that is new so your input did help.
I am surprised how high the resale value seems to hold on the Outlaws so it doesn't seem like that big of a spread between used and new. A local dealer has had one parked out front where I pass by everyday and it has peaked my interest to say the least.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like Mack said, since 2010 the only chassis under the Outlaw is the Ford "P" series with Triton (3 valve) V10 w/5 speed Ford tranny. They are something like $134K new plus options for a 2013 and can be had for about 20-30% off MSRP at volume dealerships.

Ford's chassis is being widely used in every brand, because there is no competition for a class "A" gas chassis in America. All reports say it is a capable chassis, but it relys on high RPM's to get into the best horsepower band for hills (that means noisy wile climbing). Perks include being serviced at most Ford Dealerships (unlike Cummins or other Diesels) plus where I live, regular gas is MUCH cheaper than Diesel, making it a good option.

I don't know if there will be many Diesels rigs for you to find, being made only 2 years (I think). But it is a Cummins/Allison set and should serve well. Being rare and with the well known advantages for lifespan of the engine will make looking for one of these a challenge.

In my looking it seems like the people that bought new will start selling these units when they are 5-6 years old. There were TONS of 2007's available in 2010 and 2011. Now I see alot on 2008's. So, the 2009-2010 Diesels MIGHT become more available next year - maybe(?)

I always had a Diesel powered rig to tow my boat and travel trailer (a Ford F350 and now a Dodge3500) and really wanted a Diesel Outlaw, but they were just too rare and demanded a premium price...
So, I found a super deal on a Workhorse 8.1L/Allison set-up and I am very happy with its power, comfort, and ease of use.

The New/Used decision was pretty easy for me because when buying the Outlaw, I had to sell a Travel Trailer that I had bought new and OUCH the depreciation was BAD on an RV.
The Diesel/Gas decision was also easy for me, because how rare used Diesel Outlaws were.

My suggestion is to take your time looking for the BEST rig based on your preferences at the best price you can fnd.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Like Mack said, since 2010 the only chassis under the Outlaw is the Ford "P" series with Triton (3 valve) V10 w/5 speed Ford tranny. They are something like $134K new plus options for a 2013 and can be had for about 20-30% off MSRP at volume dealerships.
Please accept my corrections...
1. MSRP for the standard 2013 Outlaw is just under $153K (options and mods extra).
2. The chassis is a Ford "F 50-something" (don't know where I got "P" from - that's the old Workhorse designation, before "W").

And finally if I could have bought new, I would. After getting everything on the "punch list" fixed, there's nothing like having a new rig that is all yours (discounting the lien from the bank) were you know how all the maint. was done, and there's no surprises...at least none that you can't call the dealer/mfgt about.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
And finally if I could have bought new, I would.

So that where my shopping dilemma is and what I am thinking about. I have found new 2013 models for $99K-100K at high volume dealers (as mentioned above) and am seeing 3 year old Outlaws with asking prices around $85-89K which would not be that much of a discount over new. The few diesel units I have seen are selling for near $100K. If the price for used was in the 60K-70K range I could justify the savings but 10-15 percent off of new doesn't seem like enough.

Tags
thor