Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Thor Palazzo 33.1 from ACE 30.1?

Is this a good decision?
I posted earlier about towing a 6k boat behind the ACE and some recommended not doing such.
So it appears the next step up would be a the 33.1 Palazzo. I don't want to get anything over 36' as my pole building has an interior depth of 38'.

It appears from reviews the Palazzo has 300 hp and over 600ft torque which should be nice for towing. It appears towing is at 10K.
I found a '13 model with low miles for $90k. I am thinking trade in value on my 30.1 with 7k miles should be around $70k.

I am still reviewing information.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is quite a jump...from a (VERY popular) entry level gasser to a (very nice) entry level DP. It should pull your boat with no issue.

The 2013-2014 Palazzo had the numerous Schwintek slide drive issues on the full wall slides...BUT the 33.1 DOES NOT have the full wall slide, so really shouldn't be a problem*:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_ThorMotorCoach_Palazzo_33.1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	156504
2013 Thor Motor Coach Palazzo 33.1 Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

I will say this...the Palazzo line really shook-up the DP world when released in 2012. These DP's are sold at a price point equal to the mid to high market Gas Class A's.
If we were in the market for a DP, we would seriously be looking at the Palazzo line...they are made with readily available pieces and parts (easy to fix and maintain) and ride on a very common Freightliner chassis with the venerable Cummins engine and Allison transmission.
You can pay more with other brands, but you are not going to get more for your dollar.

Best luck

*All Schwintek slide drives (reportedly fitted on more than 40 brands) require that the owner knows how to operate it...and it is special.

Also, they are VERY power hungry, so the house batteries MUST be well charged, or the coach is on genie or shore power. A low battery will invite the 2 drive motors to operate at different rates...and get out of sync
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

It's a difficult decision for the wife and I.
We haul the boat twice annually with the ACE.
It was our first new motorhome purchase and the wife said 'buy new'. I asked how much, she said no more than $100K.
What a green flag!
So we have babied this ACE since new. Do we trade it for someone else's used Palazzo. Obviously I say HELL YES!

But she has a bit more emotional attachment to things than I.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

unfortunately I may have to throw somewhat of a wet blanket on your tow decision, or at least a fair warning: a 10,000lb tow hitch rating does not mean that you can automatically tow something up to 10,000lbs - it is simply the hitch manufacturers capacity rating ...

chances are likely that your Palazzo, or any other similar DP, such as our 33.3, will have much less overall GVCWR weight left for towing - it may be closer to 3,000 to 4,000lbs...

but, YES, you should get one!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Well that's not good to hear. I have been trying fine what the Palazzo itself weighs fully loaded.
As stated before, I need a 6-7k cushion for the boat.
My ACE has that. I just need a heavier hitch.
I'm sure the towing and braking of the diesel is superior.
But I need at least 6000# towing capabilities. 😯

Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's the weight numbers for the 33.1 from the 2013 brochure:
https://thormotorcoach.com/media/doc...ch-12-2012.pdf

-Towing capacity: 10,000lb
-GVWR (max that can be safely carried on the RV's tires including a trailer tongue weight): 26,000lb
-GCWR (max rolling mass that the RV's drive-line can safely tug - RV and Trailer): 30,000

So, some say..."how can I tow 10,000lb with only 4,000 between GVWR and GCWR?"
Easy...you just load the RV to less than GVWR. This weight saving transfers automatically to the towing capacity allowed.

Look on the entry door for your starting point...there is an OCCC sticker. OCCC is the difference between the weight of the empty RV (except for a full propane tank) and the GVWR.

Hope that makes sense.
Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Here's the weight numbers for the 33.1 from the 2013 brochure:
https://thormotorcoach.com/media/doc...ch-12-2012.pdf

-Towing capacity: 10,000lb
-GVWR (max that can be safely carried on the RV's tires including a trailer tongue weight): 26,000lb
-GCWR (max rolling mass that the RV's drive-line can safely tug - RV and Trailer): 30,000

So, some say..."how can I tow 10,000lb with only 4,000 between GVWR and GCWR?"
Easy...you just load the RV to less than GVWR. This weight saving transfers automatically to the towing capacity allowed.

Look on the entry door for your starting point...there is an OCCC sticker. OCCC is the difference between the weight of the empty RV (except for a full propane tank) and the GVWR.

Hope that makes sense.
Best luck
Thank-you!
So I guess the question I need to ask the dealer selling the rv is what is the current weight of the motorhome and what exactly does that include- full tanks, gas, etc.
*It appears after research most are coming in just shy of the 26k GVWR leaving a 4k window for towing.
I can't believe I am saying this but the ACE appears to be better suited at 23K GCWR with mine coming in at 16k. I am not saying more capable, but at least within specs.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

my Palazzo 33.3 with a 26,000 GVWR chassis weighs 25,580lbs loaded...

with a GVCWR of 30,000... I have approximately 4,420lbs towable weight available
on my 10,000lb hitch capacity

now, even with 300hp and 650flb of torgue, I don't even know my loaded 4 bike rack and my Ford Fiesta are back there, and I'm sure it could carry a lot more weight... but I'm just not sure if it's rated for it even with the more than enough engine power.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Thank-you!
So I guess the question I need to ask the dealer selling the rv is what is the current weight of the motorhome and what exactly does that include- full tanks, gas, etc...
The typical dealer will have no idea about the empty weight...that's a trip to the scales, that they may do for a fee.

Instead, just ask for what the OCCC label on the door reads...looks like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-21.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	156529

The OCCC is the factories measured difference between GVWR and Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) or empty RV weight (excepting the full propane tank).

So...let's say, hypothetically ...
Given, GVWR = 26,000lb
Minus - OCCC = 6,000lb
Equals - UVW = 20,000lb (includes the propane).

Therefore, just for discussion...with the GCWR of 30,000lb and a hypothetical UVW of 20,000lb = 10,000lb of total load capacity (in the RV and the weight of the trailer).

The owner needs to balance how much weight is in the RV (gear, gas, and guests) against the load they want to tow...but you know the hitch is capable of 10,000lb.

The terms are explained here:
Weighing Glossary

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to derail the OPs thread, but its a little deceiving putting a 10,000LB hitch on an RV that cannot even come close to 10,000LBS, possibly not even 5000lbs as another posted stated. Just does not make sense, maybe I am missing something, if so can someone explain it to me.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Not to derail the OPs thread, but its a little deceiving putting a 10,000LB hitch on an RV that cannot even come close to 10,000LBS, possibly not even 5000lbs as another posted stated. Just does not make sense, maybe I am missing something, if so can someone explain it to me.
I don't understand the protest. There's 4,000lb between the GVWR and GCWR alone.

Towed weights well over the typical Class III hitch of 5,000lb would be VERY easy in this rather short (34') RV - so TMC just opted to be safe and smart...bolted on a Class IV hitch with 10,000lb capacity.

Even our gas Class A (37') has a mathematical capacity to tow over 8,000lb...wish the factory had mounted a Class IV capacity hitch originally. But, no - so we had to upgrade in the aftermarket.

We weighed our RV after having full knowledge and experience with how we load. Made upgrades easy and smart to the usability and safety of it.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 AM   #12

Well, I see things a little better now.
Make sure the tanks are empty, half a tank of gas (3 hour trip), and make my friend carry the coolers of beer in his truck and I may be able to work around this.

Well now comes the sticky part, getting the dealership to meet me halfway on a decent trade in valuation. Probably ain't going to happen.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The boat is only 6K...right?

See our signature photo...26' (30" LOA) Express Cruiser and trailer is just over 7500LB. Our RV "feels" it on the hook, but it works

GCWR...30,000lb
Boat.......6,000Lb
Leaves.....24,000lb (2,000lb from the GVWR)
Fill'er up!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #14

Well it was fun while it lasted.
Wholesale trade in value of my ACE with 6800 miles is $45k. Wow.
They asked what I was looking for and I mentioned since the Palazzo has been on their lot for a while I feel around $70k since mine will be an easy, quick sale. Granted I am flexible, but that is where I was starting.
They told me they could offer me retail value of $70k for my ACE but then would need to sell me the Palazzo at full retail of $139k. I didn't quite understand that rationale, but whatever.

It just isn't worth losing $45k on a 2.5 year old motorhome to pull a boat twice a year. I am still going to check into installing a heavier duty hitch since I am still within my GCWR limits to do so. For $45k I could pay to have it transported, fueld, and launched many times over.

And now I get to try out the 5-star tune I just installed!

Tags
ace, thor