RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Thor Super C Owners Sound Off

This thread is to capture any Thor Super C owners thoughts on their rigs and what, if anything, Thor should do to improve the product for all of us.

Marshall Poe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Interesting to see this post come up today. I'm currently in a Fleetwood Class A gas, but I'm trading for a Super C. I've been following Nexus for a while but saw a Four Winds Super C at Talladega last weekend that sparked my interest. I'm anxious to see the replies to this thread. Are you happy with yours? How long have you had it and what do you think of it so far?

wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Thor Super C Owners Sound Off

We are happy with ours for the most part. We have had a few issues related to quality of construction inside the coach. Some of the trim in the bedroom came off due to a terrible staple job. The LCI auto levelers control panel will come on by itself sometimes when you start the engine. It has to be turned off at the panel before you start driving since the beeping alarm is annoying. And the two large house batteries do not appear to be holding a useful charge for boondocking. But to date Thor has covered everything we reported under the warranty.

My biggest pet peeve though is that when Thor added the DEF fill port under one of the cargo doors, they removed the magnetic sensor that allows DEF tank fill at truck stops. This means you have to fill the DEF tank with those messy 1 gallon bottles in a box. My local Ford Truck Center says they can fix it but I think Thor should have thought of this.

Marshall
Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

I purchased the Four Winds 35SM super C last week. Just had its maiden voyage pulling the wife's jeep wrangler ~5500lbs. Was a four hour track one way and all I have to say is POWER!
My last coach was an Itasca Cambria 29ft with the E450. Its day an night difference in handling the load, comfort while driving, road noise, and pulling power. No comparison period.
Issues thus far: Rear glass on the coach has a pretty bad water leak, compartments need be sealed better aka leaks in most of them, I zip tied a lot of wires up underneath the coach...the main power supply was so low it as riding on top of the rear axle, the wires for black and grey tank indicator lights are switched, dealer had to fix the jacks before I picked it up, and the awning switch is wired backwards.
Regardless of the little issues thus far I am very pleased. I hope it holds together. I still have a lot to check out like the battery life while boondocking...(taking it to CO next month for a week) and the generator switch (confirm it works).
Trexcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoe View Post
The LCI auto levelers control panel will come on by itself sometimes when you start the engine. It has to be turned off at the panel before you start driving since the beeping alarm is annoying.

Marshall
I have a Thor 35SK. Your are referring to an "undocumented feature." The beeping occurs when you start the coach without having the emergency brake on. I had the same issue and that was the ultimate discussion with LCI. So if it starts beeping, turn off the coach, apply the parking brake, and restart. No beeping. Another thing learned is to find the breaker under the steps that go to the leveling system. If you get a "low voltage" message on the panel, it is likely the breaker is thrown. It doesn't look like a regular breaker.

Hope this helps.

Duane
dnhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #6

We have a 2016 35SF with very few problems over the past 18 months. It's been a great motorhome and we've owned several over the past 30 years. All issues were minor and fixed by the dealer under warranty or by me if too minor to take in for service. My biggest gripe was 2016 was the first year Thor used the XLT chassis, which is great but they retained the Ford center seat/console. Nice for a truck but not so much for a motorhome. I removed it but now can't find arm rests. No big deal but arm rests would be nice. Interesting comment on the LCI leveler beep. I never noticed ours only beeps when I start it without the parking brake engaged but thinking back it always/only does it after refueling or a quick stop at a rest area.

Thanks!
Sam
SamKVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Sam:

How hard was the center console to remove? We want to do that as well.

Marshall
Old 06-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Sam:

How hard was the center console to remove? We want to do that as well.

Marshall
Not bad at all to remove it. There are four nuts holding it in place. You do not need to remove the outer seats but will need to move them back and forth to access the nuts and carefully remove the center seat. You will also need to remove the lower plastic tray in the console. The 12v power plugs in under the passenger seat. The surface below is not even so you will want to build it up to make it more level and that was a bit of an effort. I added 12v outlets just because power was already available. Attached is a photo of ours after I finished.

Freedman Lemans makes armrests for the F-550 but they could not answer if they fit the 2016 XLT with airbags in the seats. I would almost bet money, Thor gets theirs from Freedman but I haven't tried them yet as I'm not anxious to cut into my seats.

Thanks!
Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	164831  
Old 06-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks Sam. It looks great. And I agree with you that the Freedmans will probably work fine. Thanks for the picture as well. It is interesting that the 2017's have the console removed.

Marshall
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Sam. It looks great. And I agree with you that the Freedmans will probably work fine. Thanks for the picture as well. It is interesting that the 2017's have the console removed.

Marshall
I spent hours on the phone with Thor and their recommended reseller trying to convince them to sell me 2017 armrests with no joy. My dealer was almost successful and then at the last minute Thor backed out saying my unit was built to specs.

Thanks!
Sam
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Smile

Love ours... in it full time last 8 months!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Not an owner of one but thinking about it.

Like to hear how the towing is going? Anyone pulling more than 5k lbs and how does it do up and down hills? Mpg while towing?

We are going from gasser class A to a Super C and REALLY like the 35m floor plan and amenities. Just wondering on the motor chassis and comparing to the heavier duty freight liner/Cummings options etc; Renegade, Nexus, Jayco etc.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #13

We just took delivery of our 2017 35SD last week. Really like it so far. Thanks for the tip on the auto level beeping. The dealer advised that holding down the power and retract buttons at the same time will reset the unit as well.

My wife wanted closet space and I wanted a diesel that wouldn't be a chore to drive, so now we have a 36 foot long closet with diesel power!

Ours doesn't have the center seat and does have arm rests, so I guess Thor heard that complaint.

One thing I found odd was the radio unit. It is an Axxera AV615bhm, but no manual with the unit. Plenty on Ford Sync, but nothing on this one. Found the manual online and now have a pretty good handle on it. Seems to work okay and it has an HDMI connection in the top of the dash that allows me to mirror my Apple devices on the screen. Kind of neat for navigation.

We've been pleased with our purchase so far, but can't seem to get the ice maker to work. if anyone has thoughts on that, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Capnsteve60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Not an owner of one but thinking about it.

Like to hear how the towing is going? Anyone pulling more than 5k lbs and how does it do up and down hills? Mpg while towing?

We are going from gasser class A to a Super C and REALLY like the 35m floor plan and amenities. Just wondering on the motor chassis and comparing to the heavier duty freight liner/Cummings options etc; Renegade, Nexus, Jayco etc.
I towed 7,000 lbs including through the Rockies. It is very strong. MPG should not matter if you are buying one of these, but towing I got around 9 MPG going too fast and around 10-11 going 65.

Cummins, there's no G.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor