RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Member
 
Rv artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
Thor tire stems

After getting 6 new tires for my 2006 Hurricane,(tire rot from sitting before I bought it,had only 9k miles) I had a problem as I was traveling thru the Midwest.Turns out the the reputable tire dealer that sold me the Continentals,never bothered to replace the old stems.I found that out after the first time I checked the air pressure.An hour later and some desperate moments trying to reach a garage,I was told by the mechanic the stems were in bad shape.He was amazed that the stems weren't replaced after paying 2400$ for new tires.He fixed the cores for free and I walked out knowing I wouldn't be checking the air any more unless it was in font of a tire dealership.I ended up watching the tires,not using the tire gauge for the next 70000 miles across the country.,waiting to return to the scene of the crime,the place I where I bought them..This happened after finally checking the tires at my storage space.Once again a flat tire a day after using a tire gauge.The tire people ,instead of apologizing ,gave me some lame excuse for their mistake.They put in steel stems and showed me the flimsy rubber stems that were leaking.Is this standard?rubber stems?They charged me 40$.and never charged me for the 2 hours it took to put them on.Sometimes It pays to be assertive and quietly threatening.
__________________

Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 33,494
Stems should ALWAYS be replaced when tires are, the rubber in them ages just like the tires do. Even metal ones should have new gaskets.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 17,012
Rubber valves aren't really recommended for tires that run over 60 psi.
Too many times the whole valve will blow out as the pressure builds up.
Strange they were on the rims in the first place, let alone not replaced with the tires.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
After getting 6 new tires for my 2006 Hurricane,(tire rot from sitting before I bought it,had only 9k miles) I had a problem as I was traveling thru the Midwest.Turns out the the reputable tire dealer that sold me the Continentals,never bothered to replace the old stems.I found that out after the first time I checked the air pressure.An hour later and some desperate moments trying to reach a garage,I was told by the mechanic the stems were in bad shape.He was amazed that the stems weren't replaced after paying 2400$ for new tires.He fixed the cores for free and I walked out knowing I wouldn't be checking the air any more unless it was in font of a tire dealership.I ended up watching the tires,not using the tire gauge for the next 70000 miles across the country.,waiting to return to the scene of the crime,the place I where I bought them..This happened after finally checking the tires at my storage space.Once again a flat tire a day after using a tire gauge.The tire people ,instead of apologizing ,gave me some lame excuse for their mistake.They put in steel stems and showed me the flimsy rubber stems that were leaking.Is this standard?rubber stems?They charged me 40$.and never charged me for the 2 hours it took to put them on.Sometimes It pays to be assertive and quietly threatening.
I am very sorry you got poor service at some tire dealer but I do not understand why you titled this post " Thor tire stems"? What did Thor have to do with your problem? Regardless if they were original they should have been changed and the dealership knew this and failed to point it out when you purchased the tires. If you wanted to ding some company then you should of named the dealership where you purchased your tires so others can be aware.

Safe travels!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Member
 
Rv artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
The name of the tire company was Lyons tire in Waltham Ma.I only wanted to point out that the plastic stems are totally inferior to the steel stems.Im very happy with Thor,though I think they cut too many corners using plastic over steel.
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
The name of the tire company was Lyons tire in Waltham Ma.I only wanted to point out that the plastic stems are totally inferior to the steel stems.Im very happy with Thor,though I think they cut too many corners using plastic over steel.
Thanks for the explaination!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 15,650
Blog Entries: 1
I think the original valve stems would be chosen my the chassis maker.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
I think the original valve stems would be chosen my the chassis maker.
I agree. RV manufactures, to my knowledge receive rolling stock. They don't add the tires later when building the box. Unless Thor specified, and we don't know that they did, you received what the chassis manufacturer shipped.

Glad no one got hurt.
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Member
 
Rv artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
Your probably right that Ford should be held responsiblle.Don't forget the tire company that sold it to Ford,they share some of the blame.The bottom line though,is that Thor is selling the final product.If you had something to sell wouldn't you be watching what went into making it before selling it.As Ive said, I am appreciative that Thor made an affordable RV that is perfect for me.I posted this thread to warn others of this problem,so they'll be aware of if deciding on a used Thor,even if it has low mileage .
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,593
Why would you think Ford should bare any "responsibility" for valve stems that have deteriorated after 7 years of use? They lasted as long as the tires and should have been replaced at the same time.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Member
 
Rv artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
Really,9000 miles and you need to change valves?I don't think so.For a few dollars more I'd go with a steel valve.
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
H3OHIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OHIO
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan View Post
Really,9000 miles and you need to change valves?I don't think so.For a few dollars more I'd go with a steel valve.
LOL... Trying to figure out what mileage has to do with anything? You said in your first post you had to buy new tires because of tire rot from sitting, but you think the original valve stems should have been perfectly fine since it only has 9000 miles on it?

By the way my new Thor came with metal valve stems.
__________________
2013 THOR ACE 29.2
2007 HUMMER H3
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
+1... changing oil = changing filter = changing tires = changing valve stems.
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Member
 
Rv artisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 99
I've been informed that the rubber stems can only handle 60 psi.They never should have been used for an rv.Also,as Ive said,the tires had tire rot from sitting,with only 9000 miles.When the tires were changed, new stems should have been put in, especially since the tire people who sold them to me must know about the psi, and should have informed me before replacing the tires.This is standard procedure as Ive been told now by every tire shop Ive asked since I had this problem..Still,to get back to my first question.Why were inferior stems that would not be able to handle the psi put in the original tires of an rv that initially cost 70-80 k?
__________________

Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
thor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid tire valves and installing them rcase13 Class C Motorhome Discussions 10 11-04-2013 06:16 PM
Front tire blowout, glad to be alive, thanks Tyron! JimO Class A Motorhome Discussions 48 10-16-2013 12:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.