RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Thor Vegas Roof AC While Driving

Hi All,
We are in the process of checking out a lot of motorhomes as we begin the journey of purchasing our own Class A somewhere in the future...possibly near future.
In the meantime, we have made a deposit on the rental of a 2019 Thor Vegas 27.7 for a week in mid August this year. In discussion with the owner, we were told to anticipate lots of hours running the generator because since it is summer and hot, we would need to run the roof air conditioner and to do that, we would need to run the generator, even while driving. That could mean several hours each day, and a sizable charge for those hours running the generator.
After a few days, I got to thinking about that and decided I don't think it makes sense. So would some of you Vegas owners please comment to let me know if the owner is correct. Would we indeed have to run the generator if we want/need to run the roof AC while driving?
Thanks,

harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

I just came north from FL., 3 weeks ago, in my 2017 Axis 25.2

The dash air isn't enough in 90 days. You will need to,

#1: Run the generator so you can run both roof top and dash air.

#2: Pick up a 8' X 92?" Insulated drape from Walmart. Lower the overhead bed a few inches, lay the drape over the edge, and lift the bed back up to the ceiling, pinching it up there.

Now the dash air will cool the driving compartment. Of course, if you have more then 2 people traveling, this won't work for your passengers.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #3

I drive for a dealership that involves going out of state. When it's hot out I always run the generator and roof air to make the trip bearable. Whether it's a Class C or a 45' diesel pusher, I've got the house a/c going. There's been times when the house a/c was so good that I turned off the dash air.

And, yes, you gotta run the generator to make the 110 volts needed to run the house a/c.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:22 AM   #4

If you plan to stay in campgrounds each night, you can reduce your generator time by leaving early each day you travel and hitting the camp ground early so you can plug in. This is a big reason I don't boondock in the summer. Would rather pay campground fee than run genny all night.

If I leave at 6 AM and run until Noon I can usually make around 300-350 miles. You probably would not need your roof air until 10-11 AM. Maybe not at all, depends how tough you are.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
<snip> Would we indeed have to run the generator if we want/need to run the roof AC while driving?
Thanks,
That seems to be the OP's question, which I don't think has directly been answered.
Yes, you must run the generator if you want to use the roof AC while driving.

And I agree with the others, if you're driving during the heat of the day you will want to run the roof AC in order to keep comfortably cool.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had an Axis 24.1 until earlier this year. Enjoyed it for many reasons, but when it was hot outside, we had to run the cabin air conditioner while driving to maintain a comfortable temperature, which meant running the generator. It was tolerable without the cabin air until outdoor temps reached 85 or 90.

JoyfulRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, roof, thor