Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Tire valve extender

As a newbie into the RV world Wife & I Purchased a new 2015 Thor Chataeu 31W. We have had it now 16 months I would like to add rear valve air extenders so that it is easier to fill inner rear tires.. Anyone have suggestions for which are the best to install.. thank you Alex
Alex54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex54016 View Post
As a newbie into the RV world Wife & I Purchased a new 2015 Thor Chataeu 31W. We have had it now 16 months I would like to add rear valve air extenders so that it is easier to fill inner rear tires.. Anyone have suggestions for which are the best to install.. thank you Alex
Mine has something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...628BSAGZC8CA59

I had a class C with rubber valve stems. I put extensions on them and had 3 blow outs in 500 miles. Tire guys said I should use extensions on only on metal valve stems.

Maybe someone can comment on this that knows something about tires/rims etc.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #3

Try this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tire...not-84135.html

Forgot to mention I installed TPMS also. Costs a few bucks but adds a lot of safety and piece of mind.

There is a search bar towards the top of this page, says "powered by google", pretty good way to find info on a specific issue.

Welcome to IRV2.com!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I have straight metal extenders on the inner duals, but also a rubber stabilizer for each so that the extender doesn't rub against the hole in the outer dual rim that it passes through. That second piece is very important -- I had one tat got out of place, and the extension had a hole rubbed through it.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I have straight metal extenders on the inner duals, but also a rubber stabilizer for each so that the extender doesn't rub against the hole in the outer dual rim that it passes through. That second piece is very important -- I had one tat got out of place, and the extension had a hole rubbed through it.

Did you buy the stabilizer or did it come with the RV? Sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Did you buy the stabilizer or did it come with the RV? Sounds like a good idea.
They came with the coach, presumably courtesy of Freightliner, who built the chassis. I've seen them available online, from some of the same places that sell valve extensions, but you have to make sure you get the size and shape that matches the hole in the outer rim that the extension passes through.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
They came with the coach, presumably courtesy of Freightliner, who built the chassis. I've seen them available online, from some of the same places that sell valve extensions, but you have to make sure you get the size and shape that matches the hole in the outer rim that the extension passes through.

Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 10-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

Here is an update to my question about tire air extenders. 3 weeks ago. While traveling from Wisconsin to the Thor Factory in Elkhart Indiana I stopped at a TA Truck stop in Elgin Wisconsin to check my air in the rear inner tires. The TA Mechanic could not get air thru the factory installed cheap extenders...He advised removing them until I purchased a new kind. Once he removed them & inflated air directly into the tire stem my problem was solved. Both extenders were defective. He stated that the number one cause of inner rear tire blowouts were these cheap clamp on extenders.. Now with a long air filler I purchased I'm not putting extenders back on. I can fill the inner valves directly. I travel with a 3 pound compressor in the rear storage compartment. Problem solved. While traveling with family last month in Montana one inner extender came off the wheel rim & was flapping around at 70mph Lucky I did not have a blowout
Alex54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #9

Tire dealer installed the extenders. Nothing but problems and I removed them. I need to reach in further but all is well now. On the freightliner wheel we need longer metal stems, but the dealer took the easy way because they were not in stock.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

These are a bit pricey ($120. for my duallies) but you don't need extensions with them. I used them on my gas Bounder and now a new set on my DP.

Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Dually valve extender. They are stainless steel and mounted to the wheel. Won't leak. You can find them on line, RV Upgrades for one.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #12

I put a set of these on my MH in California a couple of years ago. Since then we've been to Florida and back to Arizona. I'm very happy with them. I can check to see if my tire pressure is in range at a glance. If I need to add air it fills both tires at the same time.

Crossfire - Dual Dynamics
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
I put a set of these on my MH in California a couple of years ago. Since then we've been to Florida and back to Arizona. I'm very happy with them. I can check to see if my tire pressure is in range at a glance. If I need to add air it fills both tires at the same time.

Crossfire - Dual Dynamics

Can you use a TPMS with this to monitor pressure?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #14

Don't go cheap. No air on the freeway is no joke. Took my RV to a real truck tire store
and they recommended this one. with garrentee.

air-flex. expensive but worth it.
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote