Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

TOXIC MOLD: 2003 Tahoe Lite 18-DT Concealed Water Damage

Hi everyone...this is my first post on this forum. I've located 2 other owners on another forum who are facing devastating losses like mine for the same problem and thought I'd see if anyone here has knowledge about this, wants to share information or discuss legal help. Everyone who owns one of these models should read my story because we have suffered serious health issues from using this camper and it appears that this defect could be more widespread. We've been using the Tahoe for 5 years and had no clue because there is no visible water, no odor and no symptoms until it's too late.

We bought a 2003 model new and had serious water leaks in the front bunk and storage hold from day one. Assuming it was the bunk door gasket, we failed to reproduce the leak with a hose and finally took it to the dealer. They were baffled but eventually determined that Thor had neglected to caulk the roof seams at the factory which was allowing water to stream right through the bunk and into the hold. We're talking LOTS of water here over a several month period. We thought our problem had been fixed since the bunk was now dry after a rain and there was no visible water, until we discovered a much more serious issue with concealed damage and killer toxic mold this summer. Trust me, this is NOT something you want to fool around with.

A year ago we noticed tiny specks on the white vinyl floor in the bathroom and in the 4 storage holds. I thought, normal wear and tear? It would not clean up and appeared to be coming from the bottom UP. A few weeks ago while prepping for a vacation I noticed the spots had spread and decided to pull up the vinyl to investigate.

What I discovered was disgusting. The entire area under and around the vanity was full of black mold and the plywood had liquefied. The vinyl was actually holding the whole mess together. It appeared from the mold trail that the water had entered from inside the rear wall. The odor was so vile that I had to put on a respirator to remove the toilet and vanity so I could get a good look. The floor cavities and insulation were drenched in water as far back as I could reach under the substrate. We've never had any plumbing breaks or spills in this area so I know it didn't come from inside. It appears that the gravel guard on the undercarriage traps moisture that can't escape.

I removed all the wet insulation, cut out the damaged wood, bleached the mold and installed a temporary floor so we could complete our trip. When we returned this week I got the nerve to do a full inspection. Same mess in all the cargo areas on the front and sides, all the way back to the side entry door frame which is 8' from the front. At first I thought this was repairable and confined to a few spots until I pulled up the vinyl in the front cargo area and popped off the interior wall paneling. More black mold and wet insulation! It appears that the water has been entering from the top and travelling inside the wall and directly into the floor cavities. That moisture has been in there a long time to dissolve plywood.

From what I can tell it would be virtually impossible to open up all the walls, ceiling and floor to treat the mold without destroying the camper or at least causing so much work as to be unreasonable. From what I see, this unit is a total loss because of the toxic mold and weakened joists.

I have not located the original source of the water leak and at this point I'm not sure it would do any good. The unit is covered when not in use and we've been fussy about maintenance every year including caulking touch-ups and the whole 9-yards, so this is most baffling and heartbreaking. I cannot find any cracks or entry points. My theory is that the water got in there years ago from the original leak and has been trapped in the walls and floor all this time. There's no way it can dry out.

When I opened up the wall this week and saw that mold, a big mystery was solved. The front bunk (where our bed pillows sit) and the seating bench at the bunk opening where we spend most evenings, are within inches of that hidden mold. We have been plagued by medical problems on almost every trip in the last 3-4 years but had no way of making a connection to the camper. My partner came down with a serious lung ailment a few years ago while on vacation and had to be rushed to a medical clinic. We spent thousands on lung biopsies, xrays, drugs, etc, etc. but it did not respond to treatment. The doctor was stumped and could not reach a diagnosis. I suffered from chronic headaches, nausea and breathing problems which always cleared up when we got home. From what I've read about toxic mold, it only takes a few spores to turn your life upside down.

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks, sun123
sun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #2

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Sun123 , All I can say is unbelievable.

please tell us all , that you are not still camping out in it anymore with your family. . ,All the money spent on doctors bills and meds ain't worth your life. Get rid of it fast,
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the info...I have only heard problems about thor...I owned a 2005 and the customer service and quality of product was terrible.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #4

Oh my God. You told our story. At first I discovered the front storage was wet and rotted. I tore out the old wood, replaced the seal on the compartment door, and called it good. The next thing I knew the bathroom floor was squishy. Yep, rotted, or "liquified". I checked the whole thing for leaks, and could not locate the source the bathroom. I have it for sale, and a prospective buyer actually saw your post, and e-mailed me the link. I honestly don't think I can sell it now-I have a conscience. This sounds like a class action to me. serenitycahr@gmail.com
SerenityChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Angry Water Leaks in 2003 Tahoe Lite 18-DT

I also have a 2003 Tahoe Lite 18-DT and it has water leak damage in the front cargo compartment and the flooring is dissolving there and around the side door. We are definitely going to check out the flooring and walls! Let me know if anyone has info on a class action suit!

I also can not find where the water is coming from....no stains or anything inside the cabin other than the flooring is getting bad.
rowdie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #6

I too have a 2005 18dt, found that the water tank had been leaking since day one! I removed all of the tarp material from the underside to let the "wood" breath, removed all of the insulation and am not going to replace any insulation or tarp....wood gets wet it will dry out. I replaced all the rotten out floor and installed a liner for the water tank. I think that the thor is a junkie trailer make, but layout is great! I do not think that the roof is leaking at all or the walls and the storage hold would have been rotten too but nothing there at all. Looks like the cornere are absorbing water...along with the leaky water tank. The water has no where to go once it gets caught in the tarp/insulation. Good thing I am a carpenter so I could fix it for a few hundere and some hours but it really sucks, something new should be better.....right?
Good luck with your units! Don't bother with the dealer they wil not help you neither will Thor!
cmj1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Thor Wander Toy Hauler Water Damage

I just sold a 2004 Wander Toy Hauler. It was the Bain of my existence! I live in the Northwest where it rains all the time. It was parked outside with a tarp over it. When it would rain water would run down the front sides and through a small access door directly under the bed/storage area. (I had the front bedroom layout) It cost $5600 and a month to have it repaired. I sold it the other day and the new owner found water damage in the back corners! The mfg uses cheap OSB wood and seals it with a membrane that holds in the water, damages the insulation and promotes rot. Not sure if I will every buy another trailer again. These mfg's slap these things together with poor workmanship and even worse materials. We need some attorney to go through this BS and start a class action suit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1976 View Post
I too have a 2005 18dt, found that the water tank had been leaking since day one! I removed all of the tarp material from the underside to let the "wood" breath, removed all of the insulation and am not going to replace any insulation or tarp....wood gets wet it will dry out. I replaced all the rotten out floor and installed a liner for the water tank. I think that the thor is a junkie trailer make, but layout is great! I do not think that the roof is leaking at all or the walls and the storage hold would have been rotten too but nothing there at all. Looks like the cornere are absorbing water...along with the leaky water tank. The water has no where to go once it gets caught in the tarp/insulation. Good thing I am a carpenter so I could fix it for a few hundere and some hours but it really sucks, something new should be better.....right?
Good luck with your units! Don't bother with the dealer they wil not help you neither will Thor!
lightman1 is offline   Reply With Quote