RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Trimetric Battery Monitor 2025-RV - Ace 29.2

I just installed a Bogart Trimetric Battery Monitor 2025-RV in my Ace 29.2 yesterday and everything appears to working perfectly...almost.

I installed the monitor to only measure the current flow via the shunt that is coming from the negative terminal of the coach battery set, and the monitor correctly shows zero amps flowing when both the coach and chassis batteries are disconnected via the switches at the entrance door. But, I was surprised that the monitor measures a 1 amp draw when I flipped the switch for the chassis battery to ON but left the coach battery switch OFF. How is it that current is flowing through the coach battery negative cables if the coach switch is off?

It would seem from this that the chassis battery provides power to some device that is grounded through the coach negative cable. I'm thinking this may be a problem since the Trimmetric doesn't know that it is the chassis battery that is the power source, and so will incorrectly be reporting amp hours available from the coach battery set. I can probably just switch the chassis battery off when I am camped to prevent the incorrect reading, but I 'm not sure if that is the best solution.

I won't be able to do any further diagnoses on the source of the power draw until next weekend so until then I am just scratching my head.

Has anyone else installed this monitor in a ACE and found the same thing, or have an explanation for this?

Thanks,

Fred C.

FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

I can't explain exactly only to say that, the coach charger charges the chassis battery when on shore power or generator. Alternately the chassis battery and coach batteries are charged by the alternator when in route. There is also the master switch that allows you to use coach batteries to jump the chassis. With all these interconnections I'm not surprised by what your saying I guess, but no specific explanation.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

I just installed the trimetric 2025 RV in my coach, although a different make. Is the reading 0.1 or 1.0? I would assume your battery switch must draw some power as its a solenoid and wired to always have power to your battery on/off switches.

Mine draws 0.1 amps with all appliances off batteries on which I believe is the meter itself. I love this meter! And my new LED's.
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

what inverter/charger is on the ACE? and what control interface does the inverter use?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be drawing power from the Battery control Center (BCC). I am not sure if that is what it is called on your MH. Sometimes there called BIRD or something else. Anyway, there is system on your MH that has relays and a circuit board. The relays disconnect and connect your power when you activate the switch for coach and chassis disconnect/ connect. It also controls the "AUX" start switch that connects them together if needed, and the circuit board is used to determine if your chassis battery needs to be charged by your coach battery converter or charger and vice versa with the alternator. This could be drawing your 1 amp.

I know on my MH, I have a battery cable from my chassis battery positive terminal that goes directly to my BCC. So even if disconnected with the switch, there is still power to the circuit board. My BCC is manufactured by "RV Custom Products". I called them and they emailed a schematic of the BCC and information on how it works.

I love my Trimetic 2025 too. I think every MH should have one.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses and tips.

The ACE doesn't have an inverter..just a converter/charger (WFCO ULTRA III Distribution Center WF-8900 Series).

I haven't had much time lately to go through the routine of pulling fuses, etc to see what the source of the load is, but I get laid off tomorrow at the end of the month so I should have plenty of time on my hands to do that detective work next week.

The meter now actually reads about .6 amps with the batteries ON and all appliances and lights off when I looked this past weekend. But I did notice that at least the lights on the Jensen dash radio were lit, so maybe that is just the standby power that is drawing the .6 amps.

I love the meter too. I Am looking forward using the logged data to help optimize my battery/generator/solar panel setup to extend my boondocking time and keep costs at a minimum.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

Looking forward to see your mods... the battery monitor is an invaluable tool. You think the industry can make that as an option... I think they want customers to be left in the dark about these types of technology, or maybe they need to be more educated themselves, but thats another discussion.... Enjoy the new home.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredKate View Post
I just installed a Bogart Trimetric Battery Monitor 2025-RV in my Ace 29.2 yesterday and everything appears to working perfectly...almost.

I installed the monitor to only measure the current flow via the shunt that is coming from the negative terminal of the coach battery set, and the monitor correctly shows zero amps flowing when both the coach and chassis batteries are disconnected via the switches at the entrance door. But, I was surprised that the monitor measures a 1 amp draw when I flipped the switch for the chassis battery to ON but left the coach battery switch OFF. How is it that current is flowing through the coach battery negative cables if the coach switch is off?

It would seem from this that the chassis battery provides power to some device that is grounded through the coach negative cable. I'm thinking this may be a problem since the Trimmetric doesn't know that it is the chassis battery that is the power source, and so will incorrectly be reporting amp hours available from the coach battery set. I can probably just switch the chassis battery off when I am camped to prevent the incorrect reading, but I 'm not sure if that is the best solution.

I won't be able to do any further diagnoses on the source of the power draw until next weekend so until then I am just scratching my head.

Has anyone else installed this monitor in a ACE and found the same thing, or have an explanation for this?

Thanks,

Fred C.
It would be great to see pix of where you mounted it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
It would be great to see pix of where you mounted it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Sorry it took so long to get these pics posted. So far the system seems to be working fine, though the real test will be later this year when I do quite a bit more boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Trimetric Shunt2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	38396   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Trimetric Shunt.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	38397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Trimetric panel.jpg