Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Turn off water temporarily turn off Hot water heater?

I found a thread which partially discussed my question but when I replied the posts were too old and I wasted my time so I will create another.

It appears it is normal for the hot water heater pressure relief valve to let water out.

Other threads led me to have this question....

I was taught to turn off the main water when I leave my coach in case a pipe were to burst. I normally use the electric portion of my water heater.

Some of the comments mention the hot water heater should be turned off too. Should I turn off the hot water heater too? It has water in the tank. I normally only turn it off when traveling and when I place it in storage. If I'm on a campsite I leave it on even when I temporarily cut off the water.

Your thoughts?
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

High Temperature

The high pressure relief valve is a safety required on all water heaters to avoid explosion. It should never have to relieve pressure if the water heater is functioning properly. You have one at your S&B and it probably doesn't leak. There is something wrong with the high temperature shut off on your electric element. Any good mobile mechanic should be able to help.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLUV View Post
The high pressure relief valve is a safety required on all water heaters to avoid explosion. It should never have to relieve pressure if the water heater is functioning properly. You have one at your S&B and it probably doesn't leak. There is something wrong with the high temperature shut off on your electric element. Any good mobile mechanic should be able to help.
Would it make a difference if I were in Moran, Wyoming in the Grand Tetons versus Orlando, Florida?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #4

NO..........
It wouldn't make a difference

BUT what does is the 'AIR POCKET'
RV water heater T&P Relief Valves 'weep' (dribble) due to slight increase in pressure and small tank volume when heating water....it Swells
Air Pocket is by design (Suburban AND Atwood)
Normal filling of water heater allows for air pocket at top of tank.
Over time that air pocket can be lost...either from opening T&P when filling etc or from being absorbed into the water

Water can NOT be compressed.....Air can be hence the air pocket. It controls the pressure increase from the swelling hot water
T&P Relief Valve is a safety device....should NOT leak/weep.
Normal t-stat controls heating cycles Opens at: Suburban/130*F & Atwood/140*F
HI Temp/ECO t-stat is back up device to normal t-stat. Opens at: Suburban/170*F & Atwood/180*F
T&P Relief Valve is in case BOTH t-stats fail. Opens at: 210*F/150 PSI (suburban/atwood)

IF T&P is weeing re-establish air pocket
Turn water supply OFF
Open nearest faucet hotside...leave open
Open T&P via lever....hold open until water stops running out THEN let is SNAP closed
Close faucet
Turn on water supply

T&P shouldn't weep/leak
May have to actually pop it open under pressure to blow valve/disc clear of debris/scale then re-establish air pocket (weeping/hard water..scale builds up and stops valve from fully closing)

Turning off water supply....
Good idea/habit.
While asleep fitting broke.......flooded our 1 yr old FW as we were FTng.
$6000 damages/costs plus 2 weeks for repairs

We stopped connecting to city water.
We use fresh water tank/pump exclusively since 2008
Fill tank as needed.
Turn pump OFF whenever we go to bed, go outside, leave FW etc. Just a flip of the switch for ON/OFF

We do not turn water heater off.
Element WOULD be damaged IF ---IF--- water were to leak from tank ---possible/not probable cause cold water line would have to break/leak for water heater to drain and w/o any pump pressure WHY would that occur.

Yes....it is just as easy to turn water heater OFF

Guess I 'live on the edge' but boilers I operated for a living where bigger/more complicated and dangerous.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NO..........
It wouldn't make a difference

BUT what does is the 'AIR POCKET'
RV water heater T&P Relief Valves 'weep' (dribble) due to slight increase in pressure and small tank volume when heating water....it Swells
Air Pocket is by design (Suburban AND Atwood)
Normal filling of water heater allows for air pocket at top of tank.
Over time that air pocket can be lost...either from opening T&P when filling etc or from being absorbed into the water

Water can NOT be compressed.....Air can be hence the air pocket. It controls the pressure increase from the swelling hot water
T&P Relief Valve is a safety device....should NOT leak/weep.
Normal t-stat controls heating cycles Opens at: Suburban/130*F & Atwood/140*F
HI Temp/ECO t-stat is back up device to normal t-stat. Opens at: Suburban/170*F & Atwood/180*F
T&P Relief Valve is in case BOTH t-stats fail. Opens at: 210*F/150 PSI (suburban/atwood)

IF T&P is weeing re-establish air pocket
Turn water supply OFF
Open nearest faucet hotside...leave open
Open T&P via lever....hold open until water stops running out THEN let is SNAP closed
Close faucet
Turn on water supply

T&P shouldn't weep/leak
May have to actually pop it open under pressure to blow valve/disc clear of debris/scale then re-establish air pocket (weeping/hard water..scale builds up and stops valve from fully closing)

Turning off water supply....
Good idea/habit.
While asleep fitting broke.......flooded our 1 yr old FW as we were FTng.
$6000 damages/costs plus 2 weeks for repairs

We stopped connecting to city water.
We use fresh water tank/pump exclusively since 2008
Fill tank as needed.
Turn pump OFF whenever we go to bed, go outside, leave FW etc. Just a flip of the switch for ON/OFF

We do not turn water heater off.
Element WOULD be damaged IF ---IF--- water were to leak from tank ---possible/not probable cause cold water line would have to break/leak for water heater to drain and w/o any pump pressure WHY would that occur.

Yes....it is just as easy to turn water heater OFF

Guess I 'live on the edge' but boilers I operated for a living where bigger/more complicated and dangerous.
That reply was awesome. I think that is one of the BEST if not the BEST explanation and response I have ever received in any forum.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Makes more sense now.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we leave the campground I shut off the water and turn the water heater off. Always retract the awning too.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
When we leave the campground I shut off the water and turn the water heater off. Always retract the awning too.
Good point on the awning. I was warned while in Wyoming and listened. Rarely opened it out there but when I did I closed it at night and when we left the coach to wander.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater