Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

What outlets run from Inverter when boondocking?

We have a 2017 Thor Quantum WS31 and I am still wading through everything. Our dealer had just started the Thor lineup and my PDI person couldn't answer this one.
When I go into boondocking mode, what outlets should be powered by the inverter. I have two of the standard issue 6 volt batteries in series and a Zantrex 1800 watt inverter. Without the shore power or generator, the residential fridge runs, but when the shore plug is pulled, the TV kills the picture but the audio still is on. I haven't tested the bedroom TV with this. That is the only power I can find running off the inverter. I have tried to trace what runs where, but I know that there is house wiring running into and out of the inverter.
So, what would normally be available to run off of the inverter? What I would like to see running is the bedroom outlet on my side for the CPAP, and the outlets around the dinette. My wife has the ability to telecommute, and she can work as we travel. She can work, but in order to work as it is, I have to run the generator going down the road. I know that a 500 watt inverter will run her laptop and printer, and that the coach battery battery will stay charged off of the alternator.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd call TMC Customer Service...
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/contact-us/

The Quantum is rather new, so other owners might not see the thread.

In the interim, I submit that TMC typically puts the Fridge, the TVs, power to the entertainment console, and 1 outlet near the front passenger seat on the inverter.

The main TV and sound bar are probably swapped for the outlets there.

Inverter Power to those other outlets mentioned would need a new design/upgrade...but it is possible.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The answer is quite dependent on the specific brand and model, however, in my experience a residential reefer package powers the reefer and little else when delivered from the factory. This is because the reefer is on its own circuit from the 120 volt power panel and the manufacturer simply puts an inverter transfer switch in for that circuit. If they put other outlets or devices on that transfer switch, they all will be powered by that single breaker from the reefer. I believe that the code requires the reefer have its own circuit so they generally stop there.

However, it is quite easy and cheap to add a second transfer switch (around $50) and a little wire to power an additional breaker from the panel. On my model coach, this second transfer switch can be hooked up to the panel breaker for non-GFCI outlets and will power all of the non galley and bathroom outlets as well as the TVs. The 1800 watt Xantrex has plenty of power for what you want to do.

You will have to do a little hunting to find your inverter and transfer switch in order to add another.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

How many hours do you get running the Residential refrigerator on the inverter and 6 volt battery's ???
toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotech358 View Post
How many hours do you get running the Residential refrigerator on the inverter and 6 volt battery's ???
I have no idea as I haven't tried boondocking. My thoughts are that:
A) Residential units are better insulated,
B) With doing storm preps, I have been taught that one of the great tricks of maintaining cold space is to have everything precooled and several gallons of water (as much as possible) frozen. Once one set of gallons have frozen, move them to the fridge part,
C) Move frozen water and common use cooled foods to a smaller cooler to keep loss to a minimum.

Using these lessons, I know that I can extend the unpowered usage power by 72 hours. As far as boondocking, I know that using the generator very sparingly I could extend it for weeks.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on how big a reefer. My 23 cuft would run at least 12 hours on two 225 AH 6 volt batteries without going below 50% SOC. I have 4 batteries so 24 hours is no sweat.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, inverter