RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Where do you mount your GPS in your Class A Thor RV?

*Mods, please don't delete or move, as I'm asking specially for advice from other Thor Class A owners since their dashes, windshield distance, etc. will be more similar to mine than advice from owners of other brands.*

I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw 37BG, and I cannot figure where to mount my GPS unit. The windshield is too far, as I wouldn't be able to reach the unit. I was going to try a "sandbag" mount that uses gravity and friction to sit on the dash, but it looks like the dash is probably too slanted. I saw some that sit in cupholders, but the cupholders are so low that I won't be able to see the unit while driving.

What do you guys do? Keep in mind I drive without anyone in the passenger seat, so I can't depend on a copilot

StarBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

I mounted mine on top of the dash, directly above the 12 volt aux. plug. the suction cup would not stick due to the dashboard material, so I purchased the little round , black, plastic plate you can stick to the dash for a couple bucks. I think I got it off Amazon or e-bay. Anyway, it worked like a charm and has never come off In fact I liked it so well I purchased more for the Jeep to tow, and the truck at home. It gives you the ability to mount the GPS right where it is most convenient for you see when you driving, instead of just where the suction cup sticks.
Good Luck, Happy Travels.

31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #3

Mounted mine on a piece of oak. Removed driver's sun visor, placed oak between visor and overhead to avoid making new holes in overhead. Also mounted TPMS to the board and a toggle switch to power both devices. Here is some info on how/where I mounted mine:

Ace 29.3

Have since added a monitor to the dash and redirected camera output to it.

If I had it to do over again, I would mount the toggle switch on the dash somewhere and have it control the new monitor, GPS, and TPMS.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started out with the display on the driver's side window forward lower corner of the fixed glass. Even with the window fully open there is still plenty of room for a suction cup mount. No problems with the display blocking the view of the side mirror.

I've since added an arm rest below the window that includes an area for mounting a tablet I use for mapping.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31NDone View Post
I mounted mine on top of the dash, directly above the 12 volt aux. plug. the suction cup would not stick due to the dashboard material, so I purchased the little round , black, plastic plate you can stick to the dash for a couple bucks. I think I got it off Amazon or e-bay. Anyway, it worked like a charm and has never come off In fact I liked it so well I purchased more for the Jeep to tow, and the truck at home. It gives you the ability to mount the GPS right where it is most convenient for you see when you driving, instead of just where the suction cup sticks.
Good Luck, Happy Travels.

Huh... Do you have a pic of your setup, or a link to the product? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Mount it on the side window, easy to reach.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Mounted mine on a piece of oak. Removed driver's sun visor, placed oak between visor and overhead to avoid making new holes in overhead. Also mounted TPMS to the board and a toggle switch to power both devices. Here is some info on how/where I mounted mine:

Ace 29.3

Have since added a monitor to the dash and redirected camera output to it.

If I had it to do over again, I would mount the toggle switch on the dash somewhere and have it control the new monitor, GPS, and TPMS.
Wow. This sounds awesome. It also sounds waaay beyond my technical capabilities. I'm sufficiently envious!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #8

This is the product I used, found it on Amazon, and of course they have lots of different ones depending on the GPS product you use.

Garmin Suction Cup Kit (nüvi 2555, nüvi 2595, nüvi 50)

The round plate that has the white paper on it is the sticky side, which sticks on the uneven dash material, the side that faces up is glossy black plastic. Sorry I dont have a pic, we are away from home for the holidays, without the motor home.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suction cup mount on the side window glass, just above eye level at the right height to just easily reach for inputs.
Being above eye level, glare from the sun on-screen can be adjusted off.

We have 2 GPS and the passenger's unit is in almost the exact same/opposite location.

The power wire hangs down along the "A" pillar of the windshield - obstrucing no view.

The unit extends beyond where the black-out curtain hangs during overnight, so it comes off the mount. No problem because that is when we program the unit for the next day travels.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #10

Where do you mount your GPS in your Class A Thor RV?

GPS and everything else...
[ATTACH]245994
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	245994  
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
GPS and everything else...
Thanks for the laugh!

Where is your corn dog holder and snack dispenser?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #12

Think about it... altimeter, blue ox brake monitor, tpms display, gps, CB radio, clock and Valentine one. Phone is not in pic and FMCA goose egg has since been moved to grill. Vhf/uhf ht sits in its own wide based mug also not in shot, or my stainless steel insulated tumbler. Dark glasses on side console where leveling system, etc. is.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Think about it... altimeter, blue ox brake monitor, tpms display, gps, CB radio, clock and Valentine one. Phone is not in pic and FMCA goose egg has since been moved to grill. Vhf/uhf ht sits in its own wide based mug also not in shot, or my stainless steel insulated tumbler. Dark glasses on side console where leveling system, etc. is.
I am thinking that the KISS principle is not a priority for you.

One thing and only one thing is important when driving a MH, What is on the road in front of you!

Distractions should be avoided.

I mount my GPS on the side window in line with the mirror or on the instrument panel close to oil pressure and coolant temperature. Things you need to check when some clown is not merging on the road in front you while texting.re

Gadgets are fine if the help you focus on the road ahead. I did not need the GPS telling me to make a u-turn on a suspension bridge entering NYC.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #14

Different strokes for different folks.

Tags
class a, gps, thor