RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

Unhappy Windshield wipers not working

The windshield wipers and washers are not working on my 2008 Damon Challenger on a Ford chassis. I have not identified where the fuse is for this model. Does anyone know where they are? I have checked the fuses on the engine compartment wall.

Lwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Are there fuse panels on both the inside and outside of the engine compartment wall?

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #3

Windshield wipers not working

yes, I have a fuse panel on the fire wall inside the RV and inside the engine compartment. I have checked all these fuses and have not found any that are blown.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There could be an inline fuse. The switch may be at fault. The motor may be bad.
???
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we make assumptions concerning electrical issues it's always best to begin by determining if voltage is present at the device that is not working. Yes I do realize instinct says to check for fuses but that's not always the best place to start.

What if a rodent chewed through your power wire at the wiper motor?? It just may be as simple as that but you won't know until you check for power at the wiper motor.

The second thought is this. Why do we have fuses?? To protect electrical wiring from excessive current draw which can and does melt wires and will start fires. If you do have a blown fuse that indicates excessive current draw but the reason for the draw is not solved just by replacing the fuse. If it is a dead short to ground the replaced fuse will blow again so you are back to square one with no answers.

There are several reasons why fuses blow but when replaced the device again works. Sometimes the device will work for periods of time then blow again. Sometimes they work for long periods of time. Maybe the fuse after some increased current demand gets weak and eventually blows. You replace it with a better quality fuse and it continues to work.

Please don't tell me that all fuses are made to the same high quality standards. We hope that's the case but I'd not bet my life on it.

Any electric motor requires a higher current draw to overcome the resistance of a stationary motor. Once a motor reaches it's designed RPM's the current draw to keep it spinning is significantly less than its starting amperage.

If the draw is the result of a internally shorted motor then yes there will be no voltage at the motor and replacing the fuse will cause it to blow again. What if there's a dead short in some other location of the wire that is coming from the fuse box and before it reaches the motor? Sometimes wiggling the wiring harness can uncover those types of dead shorts.

Sometimes a motor will cause a fuse to blow because of increased internal mechanical friction from a worn bearing. You replace the fuse and it runs. Within a time period the fuse again blows because of the heat and increased bearing resistance.

Just some thoughts that might get you going in the right direction for some answers.

The electrical workings of a wiper motor system is not something most technicians work on every day. I'd need the schematic diagram to perform more diagnostics. I'll take a look at what I have on my Ford CD's and get back to you.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

Pictures of fuse panels

Pictures of the fuse panels. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	191911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	191912  

Old 02-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you find that you have voltage to the motor, Check the ground. The wiper motor on a class A is usually mounted to the fiberglass front cap. The cap does not conduct electricity, so there has to be a separate ground wire. When checking for wiper failure, 80 % percent of the time we found the ground wire loose.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
ga traveler makes an excellent point. If you do have voltage to the motor just run a new temporary ground and that will tell you if the ground is bad.

I looked on my 2009 Ford CD and couldn't get to the schematics. Those CD's do time out and sometimes it's difficult to get in to the information. And some don't have the wiring diagrams.

Let us know what you find!!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Owner's guide shows fuse #11 is the feed for the wiper/washer module. The guide also shows a 30 amp fuse is needed. The image of the interior fuse panel shows location #11 has a no fuse in it. That might be the problem.

The second image of a fuse panel and the disconnect solenoids is not a Ford installation but part of the builder installed 12VDC distribution. The second Ford fuse panel has a cover, two rows of fuses and a third row of relays. It's installed on the outside firewall above the air filter to the left of the transmission dip stick.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #10

I put a 30amp fuse in #11 and that didn't help. I found that the wiper switch powers the10 amp fuse that is 3 from the bottom on the fuse panel that I posted a picture of that is on the engine compartment firewall. when I put pull and replace this fuse the relays (one can be seen in the picture) on the bottom left hand corner of that fuse box click. I checked all the fuses in the 2nd ford fuse box that you mentioned on the outside firewall by the transmission dip stick but found no blown fuses. I have checked for power at the wiper motor but there is not any there. I am still open to ideas and I really appreciate everyone that has responded to my post.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe the multi function switch or wiper control module. Common points for both.

Additional guidance - https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorh...96892cb87ecb2f

There's also this posting Ford windshield wipers won't turn OFF. Different problem but additional info. Don't worry to much concerning the coach model year. Ford did not change the circuit.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #12

Wiring Diagram of Wipers

Attached is the wiring diagram from my owners manual. I have confirmed that I have 12v power at motor when I turn on the wipers. That I have ground both at the wiper motor nad at the switch inside the RV. I have replaced the wiper motor and both relays but I still can't get the wipers to work. Any idea on what else I can check?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	193221  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a Ford, listen to Sweetbrier. The controller is not expensive ($25) on Epay and is not hard to change.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If Damon installed something rather than using what Ford supplied I can't help. My Hurricane is a bit simpler with nothing extra after the controller. My limited Damon Challenger experience was a coach on a Workhorse chassis and the problem was running lights

Any idea who supplied the box on the left of the owner's manual diagram and where it is in the coach? I'm wondering if that's the Ford box and the extra relays are just to make a particular motor work with what Ford supplied? It's a long shot but have you tried the Thor help phone number? Thor acquired Damon in 2010 and no telling how much information was passed.