RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Windsport 29M Slide Out unLevel

I have been leveling my coach without the slide out on my Windsport then extending the slide out. Problem is that the slide, which contains the kitchen, is then unlevel. The slide on this thing is 2/3 the length of the coach which was one of the selling points for us. I have thought that maybe I needed to level with the slide out but am concerned that it would put too much strain on the leveling system. I have also considered using slide out support but can't imagine how they would be able to level the slide unless they had some sort of jacking system. All that I have found so far seem to be adjustable but manually positioned. The thought of using the levelers to tilt the coach to one side so that the supports could be positioned then tilting back and leveling is kinda scary!

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? Sorry if this issue has been discussed but my search didn't turn up anything.

KrankyKoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #2

are you saying that ONLY the slide is unlevel, but the rest of the coach IS level?

you can also 'add' some level after you run out the slide, if it makes you feel better, which after all, is really what most of us want.

sometimes after I level(I use the 'manual' method on my LCI leveling panel), and then run the full slide out, it could have a slight lean to that side. I just add a little more 'increase' to that side with the LCI panel to make up for it.

It's doubtful, also, that your coach will somehow 'tip over' with your slide out and your levelers not yet down, though your mind may tell you something else!

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to captjsr
34f Windsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
I have been leveling my coach without the slide out on my Windsport then extending the slide out. Problem is that the slide, which contains the kitchen, is then unlevel. The slide on this thing is 2/3 the length of the coach which was one of the selling points for us. I have thought that maybe I needed to level with the slide out but am concerned that it would put too much strain on the leveling system. I have also considered using slide out support but can't imagine how they would be able to level the slide unless they had some sort of jacking system. All that I have found so far seem to be adjustable but manually positioned. The thought of using the levelers to tilt the coach to one side so that the supports could be positioned then tilting back and leveling is kinda scary!

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? Sorry if this issue has been discussed but my search didn't turn up anything.
I understand your concern since I experience that every time I set up but in larger way.
What I do, is level it , then put the slide out and manually level it if needed.
Unless I am on a concrete pad, I will have to raise the slide side. The nature of the beast.
Three years of doing this and had no problems.
captjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Thanks folks. The Windsport does not have the support rails that most have under their slide outs so I was concerned that there would be too much stress on the chassis. Guess I am being overly cautious.

I usually just use the auto-level and leave it. Next time out I will just add some level after setting up.
KrankyKoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #5

I level the coach manually, the auto function seems to use too much jack and puts a lot of stress on the chassis. I run the jacks down until all four are firmly in contact, then add where needed to get the center indicator light to illuminate (flashing). I keep a magnetic 12" bullet level attached to the bunk support rail above the driver's head. I use this front to rear and side to side on the front table floor flange to check level. When doing this I set the coach a little high on the slide side. Once "level" I extend the slide. This method seems to put the least strain on components. Sounds complicated but actually takes about the same amount of time as auto mode.

I think extending or retracting the slide while out of level puts additional strain on the motors, gears, and rollers of the slide. Maybe I'm just paranoid of slide issues.

Tags
slide, slide out