Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Wiper Issues

I had a complete failure of my wipers during my trip out west 2 weeks ago. The passenger side blade over-rotated and locked into position under the driver side, rendering the entire assembly useless. I got out and pulled the passenger side back into place and ran them on the side of the road...no problem. But when I got back up to speed, it happened again.

I have since contacted Thor, my dealership, and Larry Long of the NHTSA (202-366-6281). Larry was great to talk to, and he informed me that the original recall of the system, that only included 2014-2015, has not only been expanded to include more model years, but also to further address the issue. My coach had the original work performed already, and they still failed. I was that the follow-up to the original recall was just made available to the dealerships last week.

Bottom line...get the work done before you have a problem. I had to drive 200 miles in a rainstorm with no wipers 1,500 miles from home. If you think you're ok, remember, my problem didn't manifest until I was up to about 65 mph. Once it happened the first time, anything over 30 mph and it would over-rotate again. Also, the arm of the assembly chewed up my fiberglass hood and took a big chunk out of it. Larry said that he wasn't sure that the recall would include cosmetic repairs to other parts of the coach, so I may have a fight on my hands.

When I spoke with Thor, they were really good about it. Told me that the follow-up recall was covered but she was unsure about the repair to the fiberglass, but when I spoke with my dealership, they were unaware of the additional work for the recall.

Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	172271  
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a LOT of research on this and there were two problems. Spline connection and drive system. Thor (I believe knowingly) passed the spline problem off on all failures. It was real cheap to tighten a couple nuts vs replacing the drive assembly. Your failure was classic to the drive failure. Submit failure to NHTSA and specifically mention recall done. Thor will not do anything except maybe individual cases to keep the bigger problem hidden as long as possible. There is no telling how many outside of the forums that have have had the drive problem and paid to get it fixed. NHTSA is our only hope.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #3

It was your post that I found with Larry's contact info that led me to him...THANK YOU!!! I'm hopeful, based on my conversation with someone at Thor, that they have finally acknowledged the issue and are willing to fix it.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

This is why (after two failures) I use Rain X. But you said the recall had been expanded beyond tightening nuts. What is now included?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

Hearing a different story from Thor now. Now being told that there is no additional recall. Waiting on a reply from Rebecca at Thor for clarification.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble6047 View Post
Hearing a different story from Thor now. Now being told that there is no additional recall. Waiting on a reply from Rebecca at Thor for clarification.

NHTSA Period Anyone having this classic problem needs to call Larry and be sure to mention if spline/nut recall has been done. If just a few report wiper failure after recall I bet it won't take Larry long to "Reach Out To Thor." This is not the time to sit back and let others do it.

Larry Long
Safety Defects Investigator
Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles Division
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NEF-140, Rm W48-214
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE.
Washington DC 20590
202-366-6281
--
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Just spoke with the dealership. Thor is sending out an entire assembly and replacing the whole wiper system for me.

Took a couple of days of calling, but Thor came through and did the right thing.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble6047 View Post
Just spoke with the dealership. Thor is sending out an entire assembly and replacing the whole wiper system for me.
They did this for me too, but the second one failed the same as the first.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

It would be helpful to know what years and model coaches this thread applies to.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
It would be helpful to know what years and model coaches this thread applies to.
I found there are several Thor products with the same problem: Challenger, Outlaw, Hurricane, Windsport and Miramar spanning product years 2013 to 2016.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #11

Thanks for the info
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

The exact same thing happened to our 15 Challenger about 2 months ago and it's still sitting in our drive. We sent pictures of the bent arms under the hood and Thor would only authorize 1 hr. labor to torc the nuts. We went thru Camping World where we bought the unit. Did you go thru a service center? We can't even get ours inspected to renew the registration until the wiper system is repaired/ replaced.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Dorsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsam View Post
The exact same thing happened to our 15 Challenger about 2 months ago and it's still sitting in our drive. We sent pictures of the bent arms under the hood and Thor would only authorize 1 hr. labor to torc the nuts. We went thru Camping World where we bought the unit. Did you go thru a service center? We can't even get ours inspected to renew the registration until the wiper system is repaired/ replaced.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Regardless of outcome with Thor contact Larry Long NHTSA - info above. Leave message and return phone number. He is pretty busy and seldom avail to answer phone.