Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Wiring help needed, please.

HI,
I am trying to sort out the wiring to the 7 pin plug on the back of our 2001 General Coach Citation Supreme. It has the 8.1 litre Vortec motor.

I am finding mixed readings on the wires to the 7 pin plug and would like to know the original/correct wire colors for the connector.

I am setting up to tow a 2007 CR-V. I have installed the base plate and have wired new brake/signal/tail light bulbs into the tail lights.

I have the Blue Ox 6 pin to 6 pin coiled cable and have wired the car connection with 4 wires from the tail lamp bulbs. White - ground, Brown - tail lamps, green - right signal/brake, yellow - left signal/brake

The 7 pin plug on the motorhome has 6 wires connected to it. There are 2 white wires, one short one connected to the metal floor of the motorhome just in front of the bumper and one disappearing into the harness. The other wires are one yellow, red, brown, and green.

The white must be ground but nothing else matches the car harness.
It all appears to be factory wiring. Are there any fuses for the connector or wiring diagrams available for the Citation? The wiring harness disappears into the floor at the rear so not sure just where it goes.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Thank you,
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Citation.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	23245  
Ray_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

The functions of the connections in the 7 pin Bargman connector will be standardized, but the colors may sometimes be different. See the diagram at Trailer and Towed light hookups

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ray

Tour wire colors sound almost all standard. The Red one is the only one not standard buty it's probably the +12 VDC and would be the same as the black on in these drawings.

Here is a link to all the connector wiring from four to seven pins both Trailer and Vehicle.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I can't tell if you have round pins in you seven way or not from your picture, but if you have the slotted pins than here is a tester.
7 Way Trailer Connector Vehicle Tester Tow Ready Tools TR20117

You can always call Etraile and they will help you all they can. 800-298-8924

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin Round.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	23246  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Thank you Joel and Dick. Both comments very helpful.
I will pick up one of the testers. Might make life a lot easier.
Ray
Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ray

This tester can be used to determine which wires do what. Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design ATD-5500 Primary Circuit Tester: Automotive you already know ground so turn on a turn signal for example and use the tester on the pins until it flashes. A digital meter really doesn't work well in this case because it doesn't have time to sample a flashing circuit to make the results clear.

BTW

Dick
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Wiring help needed, please.

Thanks Dick. I was wondering why my digital meter was not properly registering the signal flashes.
Excellent forum.
Ray

Tags
wiring