Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
2016 maxxforce 7

We are looking at a 2016 Nexus with a maxxforce engine. Have all the problem with this engine been resolved or are they still unreliable.
Pdwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Really don't know enough to give you an answer. I would say on the plus side there doesn't seem to be a lot of negative reports on this engine. Sometimes no news is a good answer, as people tend to report about the negative on here not the positive.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwags View Post
We are looking at a 2016 Nexus with a maxxforce engine. Have all the problem with this engine been resolved or are they still unreliable.

As you likely know Navistar lost a litigation for their in cylinder emission formula. In doing so they were forced to purchase their after treatment technology from a competitor, Cummins.

The Cummins system was engineered to their engine platform, so with the Maxforce it was a bandaid on the problem. Anyone with a Maxforce (truck, bus, marine, RV, etc) lost thousands in residual value.

I’m sure that the Maxforce has been redesigned and engineered for the Cummins After-treatment system. You will likely be OK. Would I purchase a Maxforce at this time, NO.

Navistar and Maxforce will have a black eye for years to come.

If you do decide to buy one, just be aware that your resell value will reflect the poor reputation of the Maxforce.

Good luck.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
If we do go this way resale value would be secondary as we usually hold onto vehicles to they are either too expensive to repair or turn to junk.
Pdwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #5

The Maxxforce 7 is discontinued engine, been a long time since it was built and no, the engine issues can not be corrected. Yes, I owned an RV with the MFarce7 for 5 years. Yes, it always smoked and was in a constant state of regen, yes it was in the shop - a lot, yes they replaced the DPF and lots of stuff. It still smoked. Strong recommendation is stay absolutely away from the Maxx7, run away as Monty said. There are many, many ways this engine can fail. Diesel shops mostly say junk them at 150k miles if it makes it that far - no rebuild, not worth it. That's a hard hit for an RV owner, really hard. There is a great history of the engine design online. Google and research. The Cummins after-treatment was never added to the Maxx7. The 2016 would be just like the last one made in 2012. They ran out of EPA credits, got additional fines and shut it down. those sold in '15 and '16 are left over from the stockpile, plain and simple(they can be sold because the fines are paid, they do not and can not meet the emissions standards). Do not recommend you consider one. It is about as far away from being a solid engine as one could ever imagine. Series Sequential Turbos, EGR, EGR cooler, recirculated exhaust into recombustion, trashed injectors, stuck injectors, holes burned into piston heads, failed HPFP, diluted engine - oil building, exhaust brake valve that fails, engines that literally blow apart. If you found an engine prior to the EGR debacle (last made in 2010) it is fair. Look for something with a Cummins, please. You could try a lot of things like the DPF delete and spend $5k but then no International shop would touch it. Oh yeah, about those International shops - crooks, best words I can find. Deny warranty and many bad things to say. Done. I took the hit and dumped mine.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Well, I don’t think you were happy with your MF7!
That being said, a couple of points. What you say about Navistar is largely true. However, the MF7 was certified by the EPA and didn’t rely on credits. Navistar’s big bore motors failed to be EPA certified and the company suffered huge losses as a result. I believe the 7 and 10 are the only two engines on the road that meet 2010 standards and do not require DEF.
No engine is immune from problems but from what I read the 7 is no better or worse than others. I have nearly 35k on ours and we have had zero engine problems. That of course doesn’t mean that we won’t have future problems.
Early on, I was told by a service tech to change oil every 5k miles and that if done the engine will last a long long time. Given the MH’s weight the engine is always working in extreme mode. The other thing he said was idle it as little as possible because it will effect emission systems negatively.
So far, I’ve never had a parked regen or any other problem!
Kayak70, I understand how you feel and if my motor had all the issues you describe I’d be ticked too.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

we bought a phantom a few years ago then up graded to a ghost .
we are now upgrading to a renegade this fall . so .
I have a 2016 nexus ghost for sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0012.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	200408   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_155339.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	200409  

n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One word about maxforce RUN !!
That kind of money being spent, one word, CUMMINS! dont ask me how i know.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote