Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody tried the Navistar OnCommand Link?

I ran across this device last week and ordered one. I have always had issues getting my ECM updated along with a 300 mile round trip to the closest dealer. So even though this little device is expensive it will be worth it for me if it works as intended.

To see the Health reports you need to sign up for OnCommand Connection service (free) where you enter your VIN and other info.

I got the Link device and connected it to my J1939 port and went through the process of getting it connected to my WiFi network and checking for updates. It is a little slow to do things but eventually it did the firmware update and uploaded the health report to the Navistar server. Later I was able to access my OnCommand Connection account and see the health report…cool. Next I attempted to do the ECM calibration and I followed the instruction up to where it say’s to turn off the ignition key and wait, at that point it stopped working. Well of yea… turning off the key turns off the power to the link device so it quits. I started an “Incident” with them and am currently waiting for a resolution. I will update this thread when I have more information.

It is supposed to work on 2010 and up MaxxForce 7 and 10 ECM’s.

https://info.oncommandconnection.com/ota

YouTube Videos:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OnCommand Link Update.

The update issue ended up being the Motorhome was wired wrong. The J1939 port is supposed to be powered from the battery not the ignition switch. On my coach, fuse F9 in the front chassis electrical bay is labeled "IGN+ DIAGNOSTICS PLUG, ALARM". I just pulled the fuse and powered that lead from an unused battery fuse. Tried the calibration again and in less than 15 minutes I was all current. The process worked just like the instructions showed and considerably easier and faster than going to a dealer.

The cost for the OnCommand Link device was $500 for me. Hopefully the price will drop once it's been around for awhile. All you need is a good WiFi signal inside the coach, a WiFi computer, phone, or pad, and time to go through the processes as needed. And the device is not keyed to you or your motorhome so you can share/rent/sell it to others.

For me the closest dealer that will work on a Motorhome is over 150 miles away and my experiences with 3 of the last 4 times I tried to get a update done were poor to a waste of time. So, for me, the cost was a no brainier to save the frustration alone. And you have the advantage of getting health reports that show lots of information including any errors. Unfortunately the ability to view the detail of what the error is can only be accessed by dealers. The device offers real time data, not really something we need.

The tech personal I talked with were all great and didn't care that I had a motorhome, they just wanted to help. How refreshing!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info and especially the update. Looks like this could be a worth while investment.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you ever think of renting the device to interested Navistar owners?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Did you ever think of renting the device to interested Navistar owners?
Yes, that is why I noted that ability it in my post. I am not setup to do that myself at this time. It sure would be good for a dealer to offer that service.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Does this work on a Mac? Yes expensive, but, how much would a dealer charge?
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Does this work on a Mac? Yes expensive, but, how much would a dealer charge?
It works with any device that has WiFi. You can use your phone if you want. You do need a good WiFi connection near the motorhome.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting. Living on Long Island, no International dealer will take on a motor home. A nice dealer in Babylon, updated the computer, after I convinced the manager, that is all I wanted. Took him 20 minutes, and no fee!! I later dropped of some refreshment for the mgr and the one who did the work. Might look into the device. As always, there is always something to see on IRV2.com.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Just ordered one. Will let you know details once I get it hooked up. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Din't forget to add the 12v supply wire if your J1939 plug is only powered when the ignition is on.
I can post a picture if you need it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
That will be a big help. Thank's Stan

Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This is how I did the wiring.

On mine the top connector of F9 fuse is the supply to the J1939 connector under the dash. I used the the F62 fuse for the battery source because it seemed like a good accessible location. I used an "Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter" for a permanent connection but you could just use a jumper wire with alligator clips for a temporary connection. I filed down a 1/4" male spade connector to fit the fuse socket. The connection locations are significant as shown.

Make sure you read the instructions before starting. If your OnCommand Link is an early model the firmware will need to be updated first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	202684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8900.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	202685  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8887.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	202686  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Finally got the time to get On Command hooked up and get connected. I am up to date with the upgrades. I sent the report to Navistar. Thanks for the wiring diagram. Stan

Old 06-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #14

Has anyone else purchased and used OnCommand with a MaxxForce7 (2007EPA) in a motorhome?
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navistar