Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Had to our First Parked Regen Today

We we're leaving the campground and had gone the miles or so to the I-5 heading north. Shortly after entering the freeway, the first stage regen light start flashing. I thought it may have been the MIL lamp, but once figured out it was the DPF lamp, I had to pull over and do our first Parked Regen.

Took 33 minutes and we we're good to go.

I'm thinking it was most likely just ready to do a regen yesterday when we left the Interstate to head for the campground. We did do some more idling than normal yesterday afternoon and this morning also.

Drove another 200 miles without any other problems so I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings when we pull into Coburg.

I suspect it was a case of bad timing and too much slow driving along with a lot of idling that caused it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Should have added that's in 11.5k miles. Drove another 350 miles since then and did see the High Exhaust Temp light when we stopped at a rest stop late today, so it seems everything is working as it should.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Why didn't you just keep going down the expressway. A parked regen is usually not necessary if you are cruising down the road.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Why didn't you just keep going down the expressway. A parked regen is usually not necessary if you are cruising down the road.
By the time we hit the Interstate it was into a stage 2 alert and that requires a parked regen
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

We got our rig in August 2013 and in October we went to the Smokeys for the leaves change and had no problem with the engine. But on the 29th October we started home and got about 45 minutes into the trip home when the Regen light came on in a stage 3 warning. We pulled over and tried to start a Regen but due to operator error I couldn't get it started. So we decided to drive it hoping that it would clean itself out but that didn't work. It got scary as we were in some hilly country with a couple of 6% grades as the engine got real sluggish an we had to keep down shifting to continue on. Finally got to a rest area and called our dealer an got help to get the reign started and it took 35 minutes to complete. We only had 2395 miles on the coach. We continued home with no problems. Just got home from a trip to Apache Junction, Az and back with no problems. The regin light flashed one time on the way home but that was all that happened just a flash. This happened just east of El Paso, Tx after about an hour of stop and go rush hour traffic. It has been running fine since
Harry
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have any of you that had to do the regen's had the 13516 recall done before the regen's?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Have any of you that had to do the regen's had the 13516 recall done before the regen's?
Dennis, since mine is newer, I have not had the recall notice, not sure if it is needed or not with mine. That said I will be taking it in for it's first service in the next couple of weeks, so I will have them check it out and let everyone know. I think I will switch over to Rotella synthetic when I do the oil change.

While I was a little surprised I had to do it, I can kind of see why it happened, with all of the slower driving and idling I had done. As I said I did see the High Exhaust Temp light on later on in the trip so I'm assuming everything was working as should be.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

Just prior to our trip to see the leaves I had mine in for engine malfunction an the exhaust brake wasn't working. At that time the up dated all the software an I am told that the engine is up to date with all updates. But I will check next time in with the dealer to see if I have the one you mentioned.
Thanks
Harry
Old 04-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Should have added that's in 11.5k miles. Drove another 350 miles since then and did see the High Exhaust Temp light when we stopped at a rest stop late today, so it seems everything is working as it should.

Coming back from the Keys regin light flickers while pulling into a rest stop but goes out once engine is up to speed and doesn't come on again. At 8500 miles I'm due our 1st parked regin but with mostly highway miles and very little slow city driving maybe I'll make it a little longer. At over 10 MPG I know it's got to be burning pretty clean.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well we have done about 1,150 miles since having to do the forced regen with no problems. About 850 of those miles included having the 13616 recall done.

I must admit that it seems the more miles we get on the MF 10 the better it seems to run.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #11

How often are you having to do the parked regens? In 14000 miles I've never had a warning light nor seen the active regeneration light come on, just curious.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
How often are you having to do the parked regens? In 14000 miles I've never had a warning light nor seen the active regeneration light come on, just curious.
I've only ever had to do one at about 11.5k. Was surprised that it happened, but looking back I could understand that it can happen if conditions are right as I tried to point out in my original post.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is a regen?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just had our first parked regen today. About 7500 miles on the odo. However I don't know how it was driven for the first 5500 miles by the dealer.
Following the regen directions the regen would not start. Shut the engine off and restarted and the regen was able to start. Took about 35 minutes. Drove another 250+ miles after the regen with no problems.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote