Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How Navistar solved EGR???

Maybe I missed this, https://www.trucknews.com/equipment/...ms/1003063689/

Does anyone have comments?

I still have problems but don't if the " fix " has been applied to my engine.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry and Suzette View Post
Maybe I missed this, https://www.trucknews.com/equipment/...ms/1003063689/

Does anyone have comments?

I still have problems but don't if the " fix " has been applied to my engine.

Might be worth showing this to the guys where you have been taking it to for repairs.
Cause what they have been trying doesn;t seem to work for you, and i think your about due for a cure for your unit
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"However, constant vibration and wind underneath the hood would cause the connection to become loose." I'm not buy that one. There are several dozen electrical connectors in every power train or every vehicle on the road but for who knows why this one connector seems to come loose? Plus I'm pretty sure Chrysler/Fiat holds the production rights to electrical gremlins.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Might be worth showing this to the guys where you have been taking it to for repairs.
Cause what they have been trying doesn;t seem to work for you, and i think your about due for a cure for your unit
Trapa90, yes we are due, over due, to a fix. We've been to Prince George BC, Shreveport Louisiana, Goshen IN, Jericho Vermont. All replaced a different component and things are good for hundreds of miles and then it goes to dump.
Talked to a Tiffen owner, 2012 Cummins, and they had similar problems and visited different Cummins shops. I think the EPA10 should own this. Well really I guess we on this since we bought a untested version.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

I am looking to purchase a 2012 Tiffin Breeze with Navistar Maxxforce 7 engine. I am now reluctant as I am not looking for a maintenance or repair nightmare. Any suggestions or positive info on the engine? thank you
Parsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsetter View Post
I am looking to purchase a 2012 Tiffin Breeze with Navistar Maxxforce 7 engine. I am now reluctant as I am not looking for a maintenance or repair nightmare. Any suggestions or positive info on the engine? thank you
I don't have any suggestions for you other than we are happy with our MaxxForce 10, one thing to remeber here is where you see all the problems. People generally don;t post anything when things are running smoothly
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't have any suggestions for you other than we are happy with our MaxxForce 10, one thing to remeber here is where you see all the problems. People generally don;t post anything when things are running smoothly

Same here....did a 4500 mile trip this summer with zero problems and great mileage. These engines (Maxxforce 10) love to work hard and run forever on the highway. This is a very popular engine with the Military because the EPA hasn't been involved. Built like the big guys but only 9.3 L.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you for responding. Your reply boosts my confidence. Parsetter
Parsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

I am purchasing a Vesta 32 (2011) with the Maxxforce 7 and raised the EGR issue. The dealer took it to a Navistar mechanic and we discussed it. He said they don't get this problem in very often, and he has only done a couple of conversions to the redesigned parts. Since I was in the middle of negotiations with the dealer, I made installing the new parts a part of the deal (splitting the cost with the dealer as it was not a recall type issue). Bottom line is that its a serious chunk of change to do this conversion. Thanks to this forum tho for alerting me to the issue.
HippieDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I too had reservations on my newly purchased 2011 H/R Trip ( sister to the Vesta ) with a Maxforce 7. Mine only had 9400 miles on it and now with 12,500 we are still problem free ( knock on wood ). I located the connector mentioned in the tech bulletin. I taped and zip tied it very snuggly to a support. I have not had any issues with it and so far it has not done a 'regen". I don't idle it much and run at 60 mph on the fwy. My two complaints are: no exhaust brake and I could use another 50 hp. because I tow a jeep. I did get an extended warrantee, hope I don't have to use it.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased our 35 pbd Vesta with 18000 miles in late September and have driven it 6000 miles. We occasionally get the triangle check engine light but continue to drive until we have a rest stop. The light resets when we turn off the engine and rarely displays unless we are trying to accelerate up a hill too quickly ( usually a HWY ramp after stopping ) or floor the MH for some reason. We do drive it to Ruidoso NM to our cabin at 7000 ft elevation and cruise IH 10 which has an 85 MPH speed limit, high winds and considerable traffic in some stretches. (we stick with a max of 75MPH). The speed limit on IH 37 out of Corpus Christi, TX is 75 MPH and we keep up with traffic by running up to 75 MPH on our way to San Antonio.
We have not had any issues with the MaxxForce engine but want to stay informed on the regen process for future maintenance reference.
yaakbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaakbilly View Post
***We have not had any issues with the MaxxForce engine but want to stay informed on the regen process for future maintenance reference.

There is a software update available for the ECM (Engine Control Module) in the MaxxForce7 to adjust the timing of the regen process. Contact your local International/Navistar dealer. They will flash the ECM through the diagnostic port. It's an easy and inexpensive task.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navistar