Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

International Maxxforce 10

I am considering purchasing a RV with this engine can any one give any advise good or bad
dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. I'm sure others will weigh in on the MaxForce. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There's a lot of info in this area on the Maxxforce 10 Engine. Seems like most people myself included are happy with there's so far. Performance wise I feel it is equal to the Cummins ISL engine.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have over 17000 on mine at this time and once the ECM updates were applied I have had no issues.
Beware of comments posted here and other places making statements of major issues, law suits, and non-compliance emission systems. Those are not associated with the MaxxForce 10 engine but the larger engines.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

We have had our coach a year now and have been some good grades, 7%,6%, and have had no problems other than a parked Regen when we first got it. But after the upgrade to the computer system no more problems. We are averaging 8.6 MPG pulling a 1500 Dodge pickup.
If you get one I don't think you will have any problems.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently purchased a 40ft with the maxforce 10 350 and when I drove it up a 6%-7% grade I could only reach 45 mph. My friend was in front of me in a 40ft with a 350 cummins and he pulled the hill faster. Also when it takes off it feels like I'm pulling another RV until it shifts into 2nd. Needles to say I'm very disappointed since someone recommended this engine to me.
eddie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie0 View Post
I recently purchased a 40ft with the maxforce 10 350 and when I drove it up a 6%-7% grade I could only reach 45 mph. My friend was in front of me in a 40ft with a 350 cummins and he pulled the hill faster. Also when it takes off it feels like I'm pulling another RV until it shifts into 2nd. Needles to say I'm very disappointed since someone recommended this engine to me.

Eddie,

Since this is a new to you coach, it may be that you are not entirely up on it's performance requirements. Your MF10 makes it's max horsepower at 2000 rpm and when you're climbing a long grade, you need to select a gear at the bottom of the hill to get you close to that 2000 rpm range. Diesels don't accelerate as much as they gather momentum.

Give yourself a little time to learn that engine. I believe you will change your mind.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

The Max Force is a solid engine I think they are derated in low gear in the programing. Every one I have driven has been sluggish of the line. It does not like to lug down so keep it in the power band. Same hill 2 different passes first pass hit bottom of hill at 55 in 6th barely held 55 all the way up. Second pass hit bottom of hill at 55 shifted down to 4th floored it and cleared the hill at just over 80.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #10

One thing that you may want to include in your consideration is the fact that the MaxxForce 10 does not require that you use DEF like most or all of the other diesel engines. We have a 2012 Knight with the Maxx 10 engine and with the exception of some regeneration problems has given us no problems . With almost 25,000 miles on it now the regen problem seems to have been fixed with the last computer update. The engine has lots of power as we tow a Jeep Wrangler unlimited with no problems. If you want to race with other Rv's get a bigger engine, but from my view for all around driving in all areas the Maxx 10 is a good engine with lots of power to do the job.....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #11

Quote:
I guess you and I purchased our rv's for different reasons. If you are disappointed in the engine because a friend with a 350 Cummins went up a hill faster than you one time get over it.Maybe the next time you will do it faster than him. There are way too many considerations as to why he beat you for me to begin type here. Have other motor homes passed me on hills ,you bet but I have passed I'm sure an equal number of them. If this is the only reason you can give for not liking the engine maybe you need to either get rid of it or give it some time to prove itself to you and do so with an open mind...Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #12

We have a 2013 Monaco Knight 36 PFT that we got this past May 2014. Just found that there is a recall for the ECM and had it done today, about an hour or so at garage. We really like our Knight.
SteelerFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I did contact International and they informed me that my computer needs to be updated. I understand the power zone and when I drove trucks some years ago the rule of thumb was if you can't pick up tach, you're lugging the engine so I try to stay where I can increase my tach. but I'll pay closer attention to the zone. Regarding the issue of comparing my rig to someone else's rig, it's good to have something to compare to especially since I don't have any experience with this engine.

************HAPPY RVing.
eddie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Just having the cruise control on, not set, can affect performance. I was reminded of that today when I forgot to turn off CC before leaving a rest area.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national