Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lower Charge Air Cooler hose popped off.

I have been keeping an eye on this hose since the coach was new as it wasn’t installed completely. I have been casually looking for a replacement but never came across one. On My last trip I noticed my boost psi was down along with power. At my stop I did a visual inspection and noticed fluid dripping off that lower hose and assumed I had a leak in the radiator or whatever else would be inside the radiator shroud. I put a drip pad under the leak and finished setting up camp. Over the next couple of days the drip had stopped and the pan had less that an ounce of fluid in it. The fluid was clear light oil, not what I would expect out of the radiator shroud since there is nothing in it that would have oil. Visual inspection of the hose didn’t appear to look any different other that it is now oily. On the short drive home I stopped once to inspect again and this time I could see the part of the hose had popped out from under the clamp.
After I got home and everything cooled off I removed the hose and discovered that the hose had kind of disintegrated under the clamp. I also discovered that the light oil was coming from inside the CAC! This was not engine oil or any oil that I have encountered on this coach. There was a small puddle of the oil in the bottom tank of the CAC and it had to have been there since the coach was manufactured. It can’t go anywhere as the outlet is at the top.
Since this is the hot side of the CAC I sourced a new high temperature silicone hose with a 50psi+ rating. All better now…

You might want to check yours and see if it is installed correctly before it pops off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5035.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	158019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7939.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	158020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7949.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	158021  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oil inside the CAC could only be coming from the engine. Bad seal in the turbo?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

Don't think engine oil would be "light colored"? May be residual from initial installation at the factory?
Bad turbo seals usually mean lots of smoke from the exhaust pipe.
Hopefully all is well now that you replaced the hose.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update Dennis, it's always a great help for the rest to maybe check out for a potential problem.
If you don't mind can you let us know your milage, as it may be helpful down the road for us.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Thanks for the update Dennis, it's always a great help for the rest to maybe check out for a potential problem.
If you don't mind can you let us know your milage, as it may be helpful down the road for us.
The oil is defiantly not engine oil, if anything it looks like clear light weight hydraulic oil. The coach has 36,000 miles on it. With the new hose the boost pressure is back so hopefully all is good again.

A simple check of the hose is to make sure there is hose showing on both sides of each clamp and the clamps are not loose.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

You could remove the turbo exit hose and check there for any oil to confirm it's not a turbo shaft seal.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

Dennis, can you provide more info on the silicone hose replacement? Part number, supplier, etc.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I got it from Amazon.com. I chose it because of it's high pressure and temperature rating. I cut the length to suit. I have over 7000 miles on it since the installation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Thanks for the info, Dennis. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours did, but I'm going to replace it anyway.

Randy
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote