Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
MaxxForce 10 405hp / 1250ft.lbs torque

I thought I would chime in here, having twice test driven the new MaxxForce 10, in a new Monaco Diplomat 43dft I thought I would give my opinions.

While I'm no expert I thought I would add my impression of the new Engine. As far as I could tell it does not give up anything to the Cummins ISL 8.9 engine in terms of performance.

The 3 Stage Jake brake worked as well also. The engine was smooth quiet and a pleasure to drive.

From a driving standpoint I would say that I wouldn;t hesitate to buy the new engine.

I won't get into pros or cons of the pollution control systems as I have no real preference to either sytem offered between Cummins and Navistar.

Just wanted to let everyone know that from a driving standpoint it was a nice engine that held it;s own.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
I won't get into pros or cons of the pollution control systems as I have no real preference to either system offered between Cummins and Navistar.
Trap, In regard to emissions, both are effective at doing what they are supposed to do or the individual manufacturer would be bearing the brunt of a very heavy financial penalty failing to not meet 2010 emissions.

The only question that a person needs to be concerned about is whether or not "they" mind being the keystone in their emission control system for the remainder of their ownership of the vehicle. What I would prefer from a personal standpoint is that I would just as soon turn the key and start the engine like I always have without having to concern myself with the emissions. Emissions "have always been" the responsibility of the engine manufacturer and not the end user.

I also have had the pleasure to drive the 405HP MF10 and I agree with what you wrote. The engine does not give up much in the way of performance.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
DriVer, I tend to want to agree with you regarding the systems, while it wouldn't bother me that much to have to fill a urea tank, I think that's fine with a daily driver, but I'm a little concerned with the shelf life of the urea in a MH application, have been reading some on this and it does break down and can cause problems too. Especially if it sits to long.

So far I really can;t find a lot of negative info on the MaxxForce 10 and I do know that I;ve had no problem with a similar sytem on my 09 F350 with the 6.4L only have 45k miles on it but it has been trouble free.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a 2013 Monaco Diplomat and I'm very happy with the performance of this engine especially the ml/g, I'm towing my 3500 Dodge diesel behind it. I'm due for the first oil change now. I will use AMS Synt. oil as I always, maybe this will even help me to get more miles out of it. I think the engine is just broken in. I would recommend this engine even thought it has lesser name then Cummins or Cat.
Cheers
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote