Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Maxxforce 10 Fuel filter Service Question

I was wondering the procedure for changing both primary and secondary fuel filters? I know where the primary is located and had them changed about a year ago by an International dealer. The mechanic complained that the secondary filter was very hard to access and was hoping someone could describe this or give insight if it is something that could be done without too much of a hassle. It has been almost a year since these were changed and probably due and may just have it completed again along with next oil change but have only put about 8000 miles on the motor home in the last year.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #2

On the MaxxForce engines, the Oil and Fuel filters are mounted on top of the engine vertically. Very easy to access and replace. I am not familiar with your layout, but Tiffin products utilizing the MaxxForce engine have an access hatch drilled in the floor below the bed to easily access these filters. Generally any pre-filter will be mounted along or very near the frame rail - it's merely a matter of following the lines backwards.

Did you call them to determine the exact location?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #3

I have not called to determine the secondary filter location but the primary is located on the driver side rear basement door area and pretty easy to access. I have an access door in the rear bathroom above the engine and am guessing that the secondary filter may be accessible from there. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Access to the secondary fuel filter will vary with the floorplan. On my 36 it can be accessed from above through the bedroom floor cover.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #5

Ok. Thanks for response. That was my best guess and will have to check it out. The manual says the secondary is on the curb side but is not specific as to how to access or exactly where. I am hoping replacing them is as simple as changing an oil filter with the exception of priming etc. If not I suppose I will leave it for the next service but would like to know how to change them in case of fuel contamination with water. I have heard it is a good idea to keep an extra fuel filter on hand just in case.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Ok. Thanks for response. That was my best guess and will have to check it out. The manual says the secondary is on the curb side but is not specific as to how to access or exactly where. I am hoping replacing them is as simple as changing an oil filter with the exception of priming etc. If not I suppose I will leave it for the next service but would like to know how to change them in case of fuel contamination with water. I have heard it is a good idea to keep an extra fuel filter on hand just in case.
On my coach, 2013 Endeavor 43PKQ, the primary is located on the road side behind the ac condenser along with the air dryer. In my case that is just behind the tag.

Larry
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So no one has changed their secondary fuel filter (the one on the side of the engine block) yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxxforce_10.jpg
Views:	2327
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	75885  
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just had ours changed, but it was a real pain to get to it. We recently had both the bath floor and closet access panels removed in order to replace a bad sensor on the high pressure rail. While everything was apart, the tech pointed out where the secondary filter was located and suggested we might want to replace it while everything was apart. He told me that he wasn't sure he would be able to get to that filter on our coach without removing both access panels. Needless to say, I had him change the filter. He also recommended that I always use the Navistar secondary filter element due to its lower micron rating than other aftermarket filters.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, service