Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Maxxforce 10, how to access?

Hello! I don’t know if this would be more appropriate being posted in the Monaco owners section, or here. I chose this forum as I’ll be updating here the diagnosis with the fix. So, here’s the problem. My 2012 Knight 40PDQ with 34K miles has the check engine triangle lit with alarm. Fortunately this happened on the final leg of our 6K trip. This coach has the Maxxforce 10 350 HP and the ECM has the latest updates. The diagnostic code I could pull shows SPN 3664 FMI 5. The tech will need to investigate the fuel delivery to cylinder 6 and that will require the removal of the valve cover to check and trace the wiring. Does anyone here know if that valve cover for this engine is removable through the bedroom & closet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheick View Post
Hello! I don’t know if this would be more appropriate being posted in the Monaco owners section, or here. I chose this forum as I’ll be updating here the diagnosis with the fix. So, here’s the problem. My 2012 Knight 40PDQ with 34K miles has the check engine triangle lit with alarm. Fortunately this happened on the final leg of our 6K trip. This coach has the Maxxforce 10 350 HP and the ECM has the latest updates. The diagnostic code I could pull shows SPN 3664 FMI 5. The tech will need to investigate the fuel delivery to cylinder 6 and that will require the removal of the valve cover to check and trace the wiring. Does anyone here know if that valve cover for this engine is removable through the bedroom & closet?

Yes it is. That's how the tech will have access. Good time to replace the primary fuel filter.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Yes it is. That's how the tech will have access. Good time to replace the primary fuel filter.
And the secondary filter on the side of the engine...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Maxxforce 10, how to access?

Thank you Gdawgs and Dennis_K. Both those filters were replaced during the last two year end maintenance sessions performed on this coach. The tech must have had access from underneath, or maybe through the coach battery tray. Either way is possible on this MH.

I dismantled the closet this morning to have access to that 2nd engine cover. The MH is now in the hands of Regional International here in Buffalo. And I'll follow up here when I have an update.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheick View Post
Any word on what your problem is with the check engine light
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Any word on what your problem is with the check engine light
Yes indeed. Spoke with the shop foreman this morning. Number 6 fuel injector is bad/leaking, and he wants to replace the injector wiring harness too. He told me the harness is hardened, cracking, and has a rub mark on it. I gave him the go ahead. The coach should be ready Monday.

I'm just befuddled that an injector would go bad at 34,000 miles.