RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #15

Was the 2011 MF 7 installed in a Monaco Vesta the first of its kind with the 2010 emission package (i.e. EGR system)? Did the factory do updates on this package for owners? Or, were they reliable as is?

charndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by charndog View Post
Was the 2011 MF 7 installed in a Monaco Vesta the first of its kind with the 2010 emission package (i.e. EGR system)? Did the factory do updates on this package for owners? Or, were they reliable as is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
The only engine problem we've had on our 2011 Vesta was a lose ECM connection to the turbo causing a caution light to come on. Since that repair, zero issues. The service guy at International strongly urged oil change at 5k instead of 10k. He said that if I do that the engine will last a long time. So far so good, 28k miles and no problems. A MotorHome with its weight is considered extreme use thus justifying frequent oil changes. Good luck.
Still going strong? Would be interested to chat with you and ask some questions.
Looking at a 2011 Vesta, W/ 17000 MI.

charndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2011 Serrano with MF7, 18,000 miles not one problem. I do change the oil every 5 to 6000 miles.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #18

Here we go--nexus 32sc 2016 model (built in 2015) bought new 25 months--just turned 49000 miles and check engine light came on--no change in performance so drove another one 200 miles or so and am now camped out ln Midland Tx across the hiway from Summit intl and is Labor Day so will spend another nite. Stopped driving because black smoke upon throttle got worse---so afraid to drive. Up to this point only max issues have been 1. Random misfire around 6k which when cleared didn't come back. 2. Around 40 k the top end of the turbo cooler rubber hose (large vertical hose up front) blew off but was obvious the clamp was installed "crooked"--no engine light or anything other than smoke, no power, and 2 stopped regents to go 50 miles to a shop where reattached hose, ran scan and all good until 3.around 44000 light came on and shop cleaned out soot from a pitot tube which affected fuel pressure (5 minutes in driveway never even took my name--said was that common) and now at 49000 we'll see---am quite nervous! FYI--warranty on emission system is 5 years 50k and truck is unlimited mileage but only 24 mos!!! No extended so I could be in trouble!
Crsltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #19

2011 Allegro Breeze 28BR with 34K miles. No problems with the MF7 so far. I believe the majority of series 7 motor problems were with the 2013 and later models.
There's quite a bit of information on the net about these motors.
I'd sure like to hear from someone who has rolled up some serious miles on one.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crsltman View Post
Here we go--nexus 32sc 2016 model (built in 2015) bought new 25 months--just turned 49000 miles and check engine light came on--no change in performance so drove another one 200 miles or so and am now camped out ln Midland Tx across the hiway from Summit intl and is Labor Day so will spend another nite. Stopped driving because black smoke upon throttle got worse---so afraid to drive. Up to this point only max issues have been 1. Random misfire around 6k which when cleared didn't come back. 2. Around 40 k the top end of the turbo cooler rubber hose (large vertical hose up front) blew off but was obvious the clamp was installed "crooked"--no engine light or anything other than smoke, no power, and 2 stopped regents to go 50 miles to a shop where reattached hose, ran scan and all good until 3.around 44000 light came on and shop cleaned out soot from a pitot tube which affected fuel pressure (5 minutes in driveway never even took my name--said was that common) and now at 49000 we'll see---am quite nervous! FYI--warranty on emission system is 5 years 50k and truck is unlimited mileage but only 24 mos!!! No extended so I could be in trouble!

Sorry you've experienced this breakdown. Let us all know what happens.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #21

Crsltman, What's the latest?
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #22

Turbo tube

I think almost all of the internet complaints about the Serrano mf7 engine boill down to the turbo tube popping off. I think it happens to every one eventually. It is best to just a) get the enhanced clamp from Thor or b) run screws through the clamp and into the turbo body.
vnorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #23

Magnum EVO Tech

Any one try the Magnum EVO Tech Tuner on the MF7
http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...allegro-breeze
aplphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #24

Maxforce 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooka View Post
Hi All

New member here hope this posts. As owner of a 2015 ghost with maxx force 7 with 20,000 miles now and have had zero problem with the engine.
We are the second owner of a Serrano. The engine has been great. Nice power and we get 11 mpg. 24000 miles so far. All is good with one exception. The rubber tube comes off the turbo inlet. This is not a huge repair but is annoying, and will happen to all of them eventually. It is easy to repair with a more substantial bracket or screwing it on. Take care of it before it happens.
vnorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crsltman View Post
Any update on your issues?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #26

I believe they gave up on their double egr philosophy as they could not meet emissions requirements and ran out of EPA credits. As a result they switched to Cummins power plants with def technology which is now most accepted.
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #27

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
I believe they gave up on their double egr philosophy as they could not meet emissions requirements and ran out of EPA credits. As a result they switched to Cummins power plants with def technology which is now most accepted.
Our 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC came with the MaxxForce 7. Only 5k so far but no engine issues.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Charndog. I have a 2011 with 18k. Drove from Maryland to Atlanta. Averaged 57 mph and 10.1 MPG. No issues except a low oil pressure alarm going on and off occasionally. Probably a bad sensor. It only happened going up hill when the pressure dropped down to about 40-45 lbs. Normally about 55-60 lbs. I'll have it checked out this springtime, but several have complained about all of the false alarms and lights.

Tags
engine