Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

Maxxforce 7 EGR, DPF Delete

Wondering if anybody has done any MODs to their MaxxForce 7?

Turbo?
Meth?
Flashed ECU?
Power commander?
DPF delete?
EGR delete?
Performance air filter?

Anything?

And if so what where the results?

If anybody knows of a link to a past thread please post. I've read numerous ones but have yet to see anything definitive.

I live in the mountains. Just purchased 2011 Serrano 33a. Coach gets us where we want to go but would be nice to have a little extra on hill climbs as well as when we add a toad.

Thanks
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Wondering if anybody has done any MODs to their MaxxForce 7?

Turbo?
Meth?
Flashed ECU?
Power commander?
DPF delete?
EGR delete?
Performance air filter?

Anything?

And if so what where the results?

If anybody knows of a link to a past thread please post. I've read numerous ones but have yet to see anything definitive.

I live in the mountains. Just purchased 2011 Serrano 33a. Coach gets us where we want to go but would be nice to have a little extra on hill climbs as well as when we add a toad.

Thanks
There's not much, but you might take look at the MaxxForce forum under Powertrain Garage. in RV Forums.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercity View Post
There's not much, but you might take look at the MaxxForce forum under Powertrain Garage. in RV Forums.
Perfect thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

like this?

https://bensdieselperformance.com/ec...-maxxforce-7./
Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

MaxxForce 7 MODs

You might look at the Tiffin forum, Ivy50 has done a methane mod on his Breeze with a MaxxForce7:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markulmer View Post
You might look at the Tiffin forum, Ivy50 has done a methane mod on his Breeze with a MaxxForce7:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
Thank you...made account
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

I also have no Maint history on this engine and it has 28000 miles.

What would be a list of things to have either inspected or changed?

Fuel filter(s)
Oil
Air filter
engine breather(if it has one)

What else?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

MaxxForce 7 MODs

Quote:
I also have no Maint history on this engine and it has 28000 miles.

What would be a list of things to have either inspected or changed?

Fuel filter(s)
Oil
Air filter
engine breather(if it has one)

What else?

I took mine to the International Service Center near Phoenix.

Oil change is every 6 months or 6000 miles. I put 21,000 miles on it and had only oil changes done. Had it for 18 months. Loved it.

It made it up every stiff grade in the Southwest in good style, towing a 2012 Wrangler. My MPG was 11-16, (mountains/flats).

You should have the external trans filter replaced.

I’d advise being careful doing mods. California is a bit touchy on some of them, especially EGR and DPF.
The turbo does a great job already. And performance air filters (ie: K&M) will dust the motor to a quick death.
ECM updates/upgrades would probably need to be done by Int’l, proprietary.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

Here is the manual
https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...nersManual.pdf
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I took mine to the International Service Center near Phoenix.

Oil change is every 6 months or 6000 miles. I put 21,000 miles on it and had only oil changes done. Had it for 18 months. Loved it.

It made it up every stiff grade in the Southwest in good style, towing a 2012 Wrangler. My MPG was 11-16, (mountains/flats).

You should have the external trans filter replaced.

I’d advise being careful doing mods. California is a bit touchy on some of them, especially EGR and DPF.
The turbo does a great job already. And performance air filters (ie: K&M) will dust the motor to a quick death.
ECM updates/upgrades would probably need to be done by Int’l, proprietary.
Im glad it has worked out well for you. I live at 2000 elevation and we want to be able to climb up into the 6000. plus many sites are below us so there is a grade many times coming home.

We havent even added weight to this coach yet.

Nice thing about my area is we only smog once. if bought from a lot then there is no smog ever.

Thanks for the information, appreciate you commenting.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #11

MaxxForce 7 MODs

2000 to 6000, and repeatedly, is a cake walk for your Serrano.
Our Serrano went over grades up to over 11,300 elevation on 8% grade without faltering, with our fulltimer load and Wrangler.
I wouldn’t mess with it to be one stop light ahead. If you open the doghouse over the motor, you may be surprised how nifty it is!
Please let us know what mods worked best.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
2000 to 6000, and repeatedly, is a cake walk for your Serrano.
Our Serrano went over grades up to over 11,300 elevation on 8% grade without faltering, with our fulltimer load and Wrangler.
I wouldn’t mess with it to be one stop light ahead. If you open the doghouse over the motor, you may be surprised how nifty it is!
Please let us know what mods worked best.

Mine was doing 30mph up the grade around here while being passed by other RVs and diesel trucks with trailers. As a matter fact EVERYBODY passed me.

My service engine soon light came on a couple times as well as high exhaust temps light so not sure if I have something going on but only does it uphill.

Im not looking to be one stop light ahead, just like to be with everybody else. cant really go any faster than 65mph anyway as the ass end starts moving around and feeling a bit sketchy. not sure if that is due to short wheelbase or alignment of Work Horse Chassis. Or just my lack of driving a rig this big. But it sure puts chills down my spine when it does it.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #13

MaxxForce 7 MODs

Quote:
Mine was doing 30mph up the grade around here while being passed by other RVs and diesel trucks with trailers. As a matter fact EVERYBODY passed me.

My service engine soon light came on a couple times as well as high exhaust temps light so not sure if I have something going on but only does it uphill.

Im not looking to be one stop light ahead, just like to be with everybody else. cant really go any faster than 65mph anyway as the ass end starts moving around and feeling a bit sketchy. not sure if that is due to short wheelbase or alignment of Work Horse Chassis. Or just my lack of driving a rig this big. But it sure puts chills down my spine when it does it.

Your motor badly needs service by a pro if it’s performing that poorly without being loaded for travel (a working load). The service engine and exhaust temp lights are also indicating a need for service. Mods won’t fix this.

On a climb, it is best to manually downshift to maintain rpms at 1800-2000.

Without a working load, it will handle as you described it. And you will also have a tendency to oversteer it until you are used to it.

Alignment can also be a contributor to handling issues. The alignment must be checked with a working load.

When it’s serviced back to normal you will notice a grand improvement!

Your rig with a load and a towed car will be about 23,000 lbs with 230 hp. This means a power to weight ratio of 10 hp to each 1000 lbs of weight. This is very good!
My current setup is about 43,000 lbs with 425 hp. This is the same power/weight ratio as yours.

I DO hope you don’t give up on the fine Serrano you have!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Your motor badly needs service by a pro if it’s performing that poorly without being loaded for travel (a working load). The service engine and exhaust temp lights are also indicating a need for service. Mods won’t fix this.

On a climb, it is best to manually downshift to maintain rpms at 1800-2000.

Without a working load, it will handle as you described it. And you will also have a tendency to oversteer it until you are used to it.

Alignment can also be a contributor to handling issues. The alignment must be checked with a working load.

When it’s serviced back to normal you will notice a grand improvement!

Your rig with a load and a towed car will be about 23,000 lbs with 230 hp. This means a power to weight ratio of 10 hp to each 1000 lbs of weight. This is very good!
My current setup is about 43,000 lbs with 425 hp. This is the same power/weight ratio as yours.

I DO hope you don’t give up on the fine Serrano you have!
We are scheduled for the 26 of Sept and have several planned weekends prior to that. Today being one of them.

Ill try the downshifting if my coach doesnt maintain 18-2000.

I ordered a scan Gauge D in hopes that it will relinquish some kind of worthy information prior to Sept 26.

Todays trek is close to us but does go up a fairly long hill of about 15 minutes so ill see how she does and pull over if needed. Its not to hot out at the moment and I did run water through all my radiators up front for about 10 minutes yesterday just to try and clear out anything that might be in there. DOnt know if that works but surely cant hurt.

Well be right next to Yosemite valley entrance in Groveland until tomorrow...

Ive also tried to read up on HEST light but seems like it is not much of a problem within itself. Coupled with the random service engine soon light maybe so. Not a combo I could find on the net so far.

Thanks for your assistance thus far