RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up MaxxForce Service manuals

I ran across a link to purchase and download some MaxxForce Service manuals this morning. For $20 I couldn’t pass it up.

International/Navistar MaxxForce DT/9/10 Diesel Engine Service Manual
https://www.sellmanuals.com/product-...ervice-manual/

I have already learned a few new things

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

I bought one. Good find. Thanks

43DFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Additional Info

You may have already seen this but do a search "MaxxForce 10® Engine Training Program". PDF is very Informative.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Training Program

Thanks - I have that now also.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you!

Great find! $19.99 with download! I've seen these priced MUCH higher. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, Does this manual have a list of the "Fault Codes" that one would receive from a ScanGauge D?
mrc4921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc4921 View Post
Dennis, Does this manual have a list of the "Fault Codes" that one would receive from a ScanGauge D?

The manual for the MF7 does not have those codes.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc4921 View Post
There is a list of codes in the Diagnostic Manual but they are very brief. To find details you need to purchase a subscription from International. If you have signed up for "OnCommand Connection" the history report is a little better but not much.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
There is a list of codes in the Diagnostic Manual but they are very brief. To find details you need to purchase a subscription from International. If you have signed up for "OnCommand Connection" the history report is a little better but not much.
Is there an "easy" way to get the code list. The ECM threw 3 codes when full power requested, multiple times. Surged like fuel filter was restricted. I replaced the fuel filter just in case. Only seems to do it when over 98% power requested, displayed on the Silver Leaf. I have read a bunch about MaxxForce fuel pumps. Still reading and will head to the Rush Truck Center on Monday if I can not locate the issue and repair it.

SPN1209 4 Exhaust Pressure Low Voltage
SPN2659 1 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Low Voltage
SPN 0 0 UNKNOWN COMPONENT High Reading

Downloaded the manual ! GREAT PRICE !

Thanks,

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Is there an "easy" way to get the code list. The ECM threw 3 codes when full power requested, multiple times. Surged like fuel filter was restricted. I replaced the fuel filter just in case. Only seems to do it when over 98% power requested, displayed on the Silver Leaf. I have read a bunch about MaxxForce fuel pumps. Still reading and will head to the Rush Truck Center on Monday if I can not locate the issue and repair it.

SPN1209 4 Exhaust Pressure Low Voltage
SPN2659 1 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Low Voltage
SPN 0 0 UNKNOWN COMPONENT High Reading

Downloaded the manual ! GREAT PRICE !

Thanks,

Craig

Downloaded the manuals and started reading.
Found the codes.
Will go out and check for loose connections on the EBP sensor and EGR valve. Looking into voltage readings to test the EBP and EGR in case of a sensor failure.
ServiceMaxx software needed to perform some test. Rush Truck Center for update ECM check, recall check and sensor checks if needed on Monday.
Glad to have this information on hand as this repair is on me

iRV2 to the rescue.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 08-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Any update on what is wrong with your with your engine.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Any update on what is wrong with your with your engine.
Traps,

Good news. I talked to a tech at Rush Truck center when I was purchasing a Navistar secondary fuel filter, higher micron rating than the Fleetguard from what I read. Rush was not able to get the coach in the shop for a few weeks. I am leaving on a non coach trip this week so it will have to wait. He had a few ideas, along with the service manual.

It still felt like a slight fuel starvation issue to me, and the tech agreed with high power really being the only issue. It was our thinking that the codes the coach threw could be caused by the coach sensing fuel starvation.

I cleaned the electrical connections on the EGR, code was "slow moving EGR valve" and the EBP sensor "low exhaust gas pressure". I changed both the primary and secondary fuel filters, I had just done that a few months ago but better safe than sorry. I also cleaned the fuel strainer, there was a slight yellow film on it. Cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner, the gentlest good cleaner I could think of. It needs to be cleaned every 30K miles and mine was getting close milage wise. I did run across the fact that 2009 engines and older have a 150 micron fuel strainer and from the manual it appears the 2010 and newer engines have a 100 micron fuel strainer. The tech did not know the reason for the change. I do run a fuel additive all the time for lubricity and cleaning of the injector pump and fuel injectors.

I cleared all the codes and took the coach out for a test run, no issues so far. It will get a real trip in next month and I will try and remember to provide an update.

I still want to take the coach in and have it checked for updates, the tech stated there are a few EGR updates out there. I know about a EGR recall but it does not seem to affect our 2009 engine.

There is a TON of information out there on our EGR systems. Seems there is an issue with the hot side of the exhaust gas heat exchangers for the EGR system. It seems to affect higher milage engines, some not all, and there are some really good kits out there for solving the issue. It should not apply to most of us....yet.

I am going to perform a radiator flush and refill when I return. The coolant tested ok but 10 years is enough in my book and for a few $$ I can accomplish it myself. Bought one of these to do the job correctly.

https://smile.amazon.com/UView-55000...e%2C133&sr=1-2

Well I will keep my fingers crossed when I get back and get the coach in for a computer checkout and get a real trip under our belt.

See you all in a month :-) or so,

Craig

Tags
manual, service

« MaxxForce 7 engine | - »