Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Navistar MaxxForce 9

The MaxxForce 9 provides 300-330 hp @ 2,200 rpm and 860-950 lb.-ft. @ 1,200 rpm.

You can expect to see these types of motorhomes being powered by the 2010 MaxxForce9 engine.

DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

It's about time. I never thought the MaxxForce7 was right engine for these to begin with. It just didn't make much sense IMO to install a tiny, by comparison, engine with 5+ rear gears when you had something larger at your disposal for minimal extra cost.

I'll have to put the Supernova back on my list for when I get serious about buying in about 1-2 years.

As a follow-up, I just gotta ask, since the MaxxForce 10 will fit in the Durastar frame, why not offer it as an option for those willing to wait for their RV? Go big or stay home
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
As a follow-up, I just gotta ask, since the MaxxForce 10 will fit in the Durastar frame, why not offer it as an option for those willing to wait for their RV? Go big or stay home
I saw these rigs for the first time at a Gulfstreamer's Rally in Elkhart. I saw them again in Louisville last year at the RVIA Show.

I'll have to spend a bit more time snooping around and develop some press about the 2010 Super Nova! I know one thing it's the "BIG" dog on the block for Class C motorhomes!

Manufacturers are not likely to stick larger than required motors in their rigs unless there's a need for it.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I saw these rigs for the first time at a Gulfstreamer's Rally in Elkhart. I saw them again in Louisville last year at the RVIA Show.

I'll have to spend a bit more time snooping around and develop some press about the 2010 Super Nova! I know one thing it's the "BIG" dog on the block for Class C motorhomes!

Manufacturers are not likely to stick larger than required motors in their rigs unless there's a need for it.
I've been doing some more thinking about this subject. It seems to me that MDT manufacturers need to change their mindset when using their class 4 - 7 chassis for an RV platform. Most MDTs are intended for local delivery, and I'd bet most users are not running anywhere near the GVWR. Their gearing tends to be on the low side since these trucks seldom need sustained highway speeds.

RVs, on the other hand, tend to be used more on the open road, and it's probably safe to say, at 90% or better of their GVWR. RV owners are looking for OTR class 8 performance, balanced with optimized fuel economy, with the emphasis on the economy. I don't believe you'll get that with a small engine always working near its maximum.

Many folks using HDT class 8 tractors to pull big 5ers will attest to mpg at leat the same as, if not better than, a 1 ton dually diesel LDT, despite that these trucks have 12 - 14 L enigines. Why? Because the gearing, both tranny and rear end, has been matched to the engine's optimum power/economy range of operation, and the drivetrain is not even close to its designed limits. I just don't see this happening in the MDT RV segment.

Just a couple of extra cents for ya...