RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Power loss

We have a 2013 Ambassador 36PFT with the MaxxForce 350 HP. Have had a power loss three times. The first time it happened after 3 hours of mostly interstate driving. We made a 30 minute stop, and then every thing was fine, while traveling to our destination, about another 1 1/2 hours. On our return trip, again after about 3 hours noticed the same loss of power. We stopped for fuel, still had more then a third of the tank, and decided to change the primary fuel filter( the one between the tank and the engine, and found it only half full. Drove the rest of the way home, about 1 1/2 hours, and also noticed some power loss. We were in traffic, so power loss is harder to sense. I checked the filter again and it was only half full. Both times the fuel in the filter was clean. There was no exhaust smoke during power loss, and there are no codes in the computer. Please help. Heading for Texas after Christmas. Thanks Stan

36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Follow the line from the filter back to the tank. At any connection, check for and loose connections. A slight suction leak will cause the fuel level in the filter to drop as the air settles there.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. HR used push and click connectors at the tank and filter. I will check those and the line for other connections. Thanks again. Stan
Old 11-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #4

Have you checked or changed the secondary fuel filter on top of the engine? I change mine annually when I change the primary. It can be a little difficult to get to but on my 40DFT model it can be reached by removing the panel in the rear bathroom floor. It is a fairly expensive filter ($100) and can be purchased at NAPA. Changing it is not difficult as long as you can access it. You have to remove it from its housing using a large socket wrench (1 1/2") as I recall.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Yes, I changed the secondary filter at the last oil change. We made two trips ( about 250 miles each ) with out a problem, and then made this last trip and had the loss of power. I ordered new "O" rings for all fuel line connections. thanks Stan
Old 11-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

power loss

also there is a screen in the pump next to the primary filter on the engine that should be changed . I bought mine at the international dealer.
mxracr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

mxracr113, The screen was clean at the last service when the secondary filter was changed. My problem seems to be air getting into the fuel system and the air is collecting at the primary filter. Will change "O" rings at fuel line connections this weekend. Thanks Stan
Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Have you tried bleeding out the air using the schradar valve on the secondary filter assembly?
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

The manual refers to the Schrader Valve when the engine needs to be primed. This would only need to be done if you run out of fuel or had to dump the fuel tank from bad fuel. My coach starts with only a second or two of cranking. My fuel connections at the tank and both filters seem fine. The O rings are not split or twisted, and are not hard. I will recheck the secondary filter and lift pump and screen later this week. Stan 2013 HR 36PFT
Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You are correct that the Schrader Valve is intended for priming but it is also the top-most point in the fuel system which is the best place to bleed out any air that may be in the system. Just a thought...
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #11

power loss

Follow up: Changed both filters and the pre screen, still had power loss after 3 hours of driving. After driving a day and 1/2, we got a MFI lamp in the dash. It was cycling: flashing, blinking, and then on. Each cycle took about 15 minutes. As time went on the power loss would happen sooner. We released that the power loss is a computer issue. We called a at least 6 International dealers, and being told they do not work on motorhomes. We made an appointment at Brown Truck Group in Bloomsbury, NJ. They will work on motorhomes. After getting hooked up to the computer, it was determined that the doser valve is defective. This doses the fuel to the DPF. It is non serviceable. Had to order a new one. It took one day to come it. After the install, now the "7th" injector is faulty. This is the injector that is on the DPF. The dealer had one in stock. It is the new improved one, with the larger hole in the gasket. After a test drive, all engine power is back. Tech went along with the computer plugged in, and could see on the computer the engine did a regen perfectly. Came back to shop and he said to shut down and restart. Now we get a mass air sensor fault. After sending all the info to International, they send a programing code that the tech installs into the computer. Finally all is well. Good news is all is covered by International. The hole crew at Brown was fantastic. The owner allowed us to stay on his property. The Tech, Mike, took his time, even stayed late, and explained everything. Mike stated that most of the repairs that the dealership preforms are all related to the equipment that the EPA required. We are off to Alaska this summer. Stan and Mary
Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hey glad to hear they got you all fixed up. Unfortunately I think your tech was right about what causes most of the problems
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #13

Thanks. The tech said that on average there is only 1 major failure (engine, trans, rear ends) per month. Brown's is a pretty big shop. They have 14 working bay's and a paint booth for trucks. Stan

Tags
power